Goodmorning Lisbon Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
16th Dec 2013

After 3months in Europe, 14 countries, 20-30 hostels.. This was by far the best hostel I stayed in. I never ate better in all my time in Europe, nightly Portuguese dinners only 2€ (for ingredients) everybody helps prepare and cook, good bonding activity. Staff were unbelievably fantastic. Cheap room cost, free breakfast, free soup night, free wine tasting, free tours. Only complaint is I didn't see as much of lisbon as I would have liked because I never wanted to leave the hostel. Will be back.

Duermevela Hostel, Segovia, Spain
14th Dec 2013

Location right next to the aquaduct. Segovia is small do easy to walk around. Bus 2€ drops off close to hostel. Very clean. Staff were excellent, so nice and helpful. Never felt lost in Segovia due to excellent check-in info and when leaving was helped to work out bus/trains from Madrid to lisbon. Atmosphere was only downside, I had dorm to myself so I hard to really meet anyone. But not really hostels fault.

Olga's Place, San Sebastian, Spain
9th Dec 2013

Right by the beach. Place is more like an apartment than a hostel but that's okay, made things cozy and met some good people. Checked in by Leo and it felt like I was inconveniencing him, got a rush job check in without proper explanation on things like the safe. Other guests were treated much better by Olga herself.

6th Dec 2013

Was okay. Only hostel I've been to that had a kitchen in the room. Didn't really have much of a common room or communal kitchen so maybe meeting people could be hard. Toulouse isn't that big so location is good

2nd Dec 2013

Staff super friendly. Very clean. Close to Gare de Nord metro. Fast WiFi. Didn't like the luggage room, you have to pay for a locker 5€ a day. Can't just use your own lock. Initial price was cheap (for Paris) but a lot of little thing like the luggage room seemed aimed towards getting more money from guests. key card for door deactivated early on check out day twice! (I stayed longer and had to change rooms). Once when I was coming back from shower in just shorts, lucky another guest was inside

Thank you for leaving your thoughts for all to see, we're very pleased to read your nice comments about the staff. We're very sorry to hear about your card not working twice,it's not a common thing to happen, sometimes the key can become demagnetised if next to a phone. As for the lockers this is to ensure total safety of the belongings, and there is not enough space to store bags freely other than a few gaps in the locker room. St Christopher' Inn GDN

MEININGER Brussels City Center, Brussels, Belgium
29th Nov 2013

Like every Meininger, very clean, secure and great staff. Location okay. Atmosphere lacking, seemed like mostly groups staying, difficult for solo travellers to meet new people. My swipe card stopped working every day, staff acted surprised even though other room mates had same problem, and I've had same problem in other Meiningers before too.

Ecohostel Andromeda, Gent, Belgium
7.4
28th Nov 2013

Wifi didn't work in my room but did work from across the river (?!). Not the best atmosphere, barely saw anyone there. I asked to leave luggage and was told to leave it in common room/kitchen because staff had things to do off boat later in the day and might not be there when I returned. Staff always seemed busy with their own duties so felt uncomfortable to ask for advice about Ghent. But in the end hostel is a boat which is interesting and cool so worth the stay for that alone.

Well, sometimes we do have to do things off the boat! But that's why you could keep your key, so you could come back at any time you wanted... We don't see the issue with that! And we don't bite if you have questions about anything, but you have to ask them! And yes, we are busy doing lots of things to assure the quality of the hostel. We care about our hostel, and we regret you seem to dislike our efforts. Sorry you were dissapointed with us, but we do wish you happy travels!

Lybeer Travellers' Hostel, Bruges, Belgium
25th Nov 2013

Hard to judge right now because they're in the middle of renovations, looks good so far. Atmosphere was lacking a bit. I got a free upgrade from a 6or8 bed dorm to a 4 bed room but I was alone in there first night and on top floor so 3 flights of stairs to walk. Free walking tour and beer tasting at the hostel is good. Bruges is small so everything is within walking distance. Wifi great, Gary and worked everywhere. Reception often unattended.

Shelter City, Amsterdam, Netherlands
24th Nov 2013

Checked into here hoping to avoid stoner idiots and did. Was worried that it would be too religious but as a Catholic raised agnostic I felt comfortable enough. Very odd that a Christian hostel is in the red light district, there's even windows in the same street! staff very nice especially the American guy who served breakfast (sorry I forgot his name) he was very welcoming and encouraged conversation between people which was nice. Quick walk to Central Station if you don't stop for a look, ha

Hans Brinker Budget Hotel, Amsterdam, Netherlands
21st Nov 2013

Only complaints are no wifi in the rooms. There is in the bar/breakfast room but that isn't always open so there are times when you'll see a bunch of people standing around the front door and foyer with their phones. Also, the weekend I stayed they were filming a commercial so that meant everyone had to be quiet around them. Made to feel uncomfortable and in the way, why would they film on a weekend in Amsterdam? It really hurt the atmosphere. Aside from that everything was fine.

Hi Tim, Sorry to hear you've experienced some difficulties during your stay regarding the filming. Although in a month you can see the result at our website and social media pages! We hope to welcome you again when visiting Amsterdam! Greetings, Hans Brinker

Castle Rock Hostel, Edinburgh, Scotland
19th Nov 2013

Could be closer to bus/trains but who cares when you step outside the front and see the castle right there in front of you, and the royal mile just to your right. Great wifi, and it's free too! Awesome hostel, my only real complaint is the power points near my bed stopped working over night so my phone wasn't charged in the morning which delayed my plans a little the next day.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Yes, we do love our daily castle views! Apologies for your power point cutting out during the night. Hope it didn't hold you up too much. See you next time! :-)

Inverness Student Hostel, Inverness, Scotland
18th Nov 2013

Awesome staff, friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely interested in what I had been up to. Atmosphere was fantastic, good place to meet others. Room was the most spacious I've been in after 2 months of travelling. Room had good high view of town, made for some good photos after it snowed in the morning.

Fort William Backpackers, Fort William, Scotland
16th Nov 2013

Great atmosphere, staff had most people out for drinks at a pub band. Excellent for hikers of every experience, loads of advice and best map presentation I've seen yet, so easy to plan hikes around the area. Wifi pretty terrible though, wouldn't work in bed room or even common area.

St Enoch Hotel, Glasgow, Scotland
5.7
14th Nov 2013

I checked in early so I was lucky I got a key. Next people had to share our knock to be let in to 6bed dorm room because there were 3 keys missing. No lockers in room and barely enough space to keep bags. beds very squeaky so hard to sleep. Bathroom a disgrace. Location okay at the bottom of Buchanan St. You get what you pay for and this place is cheap. Breakfast bags outside the rooms every morning was cool but because of no common room or kitchen, so no atmosphere really.

YHA Keswick, Lake District, England
10th Nov 2013

Easy to find (keswick ain't that big) right by a river. It's an odd thing but every time I stay at a 'youth' hostel, I'm the youngest by a decade or more and I'm 30! floor boards are very squeaky which makes sleeping difficult when early hikers are up. Staff were just okay, didn't get the full intro to the town with map and tips that I've grown accustomed to. All that said, I'd love to come back to lakes district and I'd happily stay here again.

Hatters at Hilton Chambers, Manchester, England
6.6
8th Nov 2013

Close to the bus stations. Wifi doesn't work in rooms, head to use the common room which would have been okay but the was a large group of very noisy eastern Europeans occupying that room. Wifi slow and cuts out every 15 minutes by design and you have to log back in. I bought the wrong day bus ticket on my phone because it didn't refresh because it had logged me out. My mistake but wouldn't have happened with good wifi. Showers have see through glass sceens- no privacy for the shy.

Hi! We do put signs up in reception and around the building for people to buy the unlimited wi-fi if they want to use youtube/skype etc., however this tends to go unnoticed and what we are left with are guests who can't get simple things done because other guests in the building are pushing the wi-fi beyond it's limits :( We will try to speak to our tech team and see if they can put a bar on video streaming and hopefully that will help! We're sorry :(

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea, London, England
4th Nov 2013

Location okay, a bit of a walk into sight seeing areas but bus/tube nearby. I don't get paying a deposit for the door security codes which is just them printed on a lamanated card. 30 minutes free wifi each day then you can pay £1 for 24 hours, but okay because breakfast is free plus free drinks 24 hours. I'd stay again.

Ostello Corniglia, Cinque Terre, Italy
2nd Nov 2013

Corniglia is the middle town in the Cirque Terre so getting to the other towns is easy. If you miss the shuttle bus you're in for a hike up the hill to the hostel. Be aware that Corniglia is a quiet little town so there's not much to do at night and theres not really a common room. Hostel has a lock out during the middle of the day but why would you be there when the C5 is to be explored. Guy on the night desk is awesome, so accommodating, helped me out big time. I'd come back here again.

Ave Gratia Plena, Salerno, Italy
31st Oct 2013

Easy to get to from the train station, might be a little far for some but its pretty much a straight line through the main shopping streets and gave me a chance to see the lights that had just gone up. The night shift girl with glasses was great, pointed me towards a great gelato brioche place. courtyard is lovely with a fountain, music and open roof which is great because you can only use the wifi there and only for 2hrs. Sign said youth hostel but everyone I saw was mid 30s to 50s.

Hostel of the Sun, Naples, Italy
28th Oct 2013

Pretty standard hostel in terms of facilities but what really stands out is the staff. Best staffed hostel I've been to. It was like 'Cheers' where everyone knew my name, even staff I hadn't meet yet. It was odd at first but really made me feel at home. And they took an interest in my plans and gave such great advice. Great atmosphere. They had a pasta night and a pizza night during my stay. Loved this place.

Thousand Sunny, Rome, Italy
26th Oct 2013

So ok this is an apartment with rooms turned into dorms but that's fine, bright and with a view from the balcony. Staff very friendly and helpful. Location a bit far away but sights easily accessible by nearby Metro. common room is the lounge room which some night find awkward to hang out in. Vibe however was good and I met some cool people in the dorm room. Hostel very clean, wifi good.

Duilio, Florence, Italy
4.9
24th Oct 2013

Very poor. 3 flights of stairs no lift. Bunk beds have no ladder to climb up. I was put on the top bunk right next to the window, bed had a narrow mattress so I was afraid I was going to roll over out the window in my sleep. Few powerpoints. Weird bathroom. No lockers. No bell at reception, desk rarely attended. Left with small red marks over my face and arms, bed bugs? Rash? Only pros; excellent wifi. Close to train station and right next to river so easy to find when lost. Never coming back.

Generator Venice, Venice, Italy
22nd Oct 2013

Much better than it needed to be given that it's the only hostel in Venice, I'll be looking out for Generator hostels in future. Bunks are very comfortable with light, power points each. Security a bit iffy, the door to my dorm never seemed to be closed and I had to use my key card to unlock it so I could close it. Each bed has a lockable trunk though. There's a bar downstairs if you want to meet people. Best to buy a ferry pass as its off the main Island.

MEININGER Salzburg City Center, Salzburg, Austria
18th Oct 2013

4th Meininger I've stayed at, keep coming back because I know it'll be clean, safe, well located and professional and the only thing you sometimes sacrifice is the atmosphere. Here there was a bar and a decent common room that played Sound of Music nightly. Staff were great and accommodating. I loved Salzburg so much I kept extending my stay a day at a time so had to change rooms, every morning I'd go to reception to store my bags but they would always have my new room available all ready.

Hello! Thank you for your comment and your loyalty! It is really nice to hear that you had such a nice time at our hotel. Hope to see you in another MEININGER soon! Best wishes Your MEININGER Salzburg Team

Hostel Krumlov House, Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
16th Oct 2013

Wow. Easily the best hostel I've stayed at in the last month of travelling over Europe. The owners Cal and Carolyn went above and beyond to make it a great stay. They always seemed to be there when needed without asking but never intrusive. Very warm and cozy house, very clean. The only hostel to ever email me before I arrived with directions and advice on things to do and see in town.

Thanks for your lovely comments! We really appreciate it when our guests take the time to write something positive! :) All the best, Carolyn, Krumlov House

Hostel Krumlov House, Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
15th Oct 2013

Very secure. Close to the town Centre and main bus station. Very clean. No bunk beds! The owners were extremely helpful. They gave me the full run down on cool places to go, not just the usual touristy places. Helped me work out the best way on to Salzburg and I didn't even ask. Also the only hostel I've been to that's emailed me after I booked/ before I checked in with things to do, recommendations on where to eat. Outstanding customer service!

Our pleasure! :) Thanks for staying and we hope to see you again, Carolyn, Krumlov House

Hostel Hutteldorf, Vienna, Austria
5.7
15th Oct 2013

When I got upstairs to my room there was no linen for my bed. I went back downstairs and was told to just collect some from a trolley. Why wasn't I told this when I first checked in? Same thing happened to everyone in my 6 bedroom dorm. There was also a lack of power points in the room. Hostel is only a 10 - 15 minute walk from the train station but is far from the city centre which could be a problem if you are going out at night.

13th Oct 2013

More a hotel with dorms than hostel which means clean reliable professional but lacking in atmosphere and character. is about a 10 minute walk from the nearest subway station which connects you to everywhere via Vienna's excellent public transport but maybe a bit far away if you like to walk to everywhere. Staff were great! I woke up very early to book another night and to do my washing. Hotel was fully booked so he let me do my washing for free.

One World Hostel, Krakow, Poland
7th Oct 2013

Great location, so close the Centre of town and the main train station. Very friendly staff gave an awesome check in so I was fully prepared to tackle Krakow. Rooms okay, only complaint is I booked in early in the morning of my check out for another night which meant I had to move to a top bunk without a power point even though others had yet to check in.

Blind Eye Hostel & Guest House, Prague, Czech Republic
4th Oct 2013

hi tim, thanks for your review, but we are NOT the goat hostel, and we are NOT in budapest :)

MEININGER Munich City Center, Munich, Germany
1st Oct 2013

Excellent location. Very close to trams and trains. Was able to walk to and from Oktoberfest every day. Security was overkill. I get it being stricter over the festival but I had to get checked leaving as well as coming in, no big thing though. Can't comment though on this hostel outside of Oktoberfest.

26th Sep 2013

Excellent location, close to sights and the subway is right in front. Easily found my way back walking every time I went out. Very clean. Excellent facilities. I did have an issue with my keycard, everyday I would have to go back downstairs to have it reset to get back in my room.

Pfefferbett Hostel, Berlin, Germany
7.7
25th Sep 2013

Place was great. Awesome common room. Location whilst near public transport was a bit away from the action. The staff I dealt with were unfriendly and unhelpful. I wanted to book another night but was told they were full. Fair enough so I run back upstairs and get my stuff, come back down or of breath to check out but wasn't able to until I'd put my pillow case out even though the other room mates who'd checked out earlier hadn't had to.