Chiostro delle Monache

Volterra, Italy

My second stay there - guess why I went back there in spite of the 10-15min walk to get to the city centre! The stay this time was just as perfect as the first one - everything squeaky clean, big, airy rooms (6-bed dorm), friendly staff, good food (ok, breakfast's not included for dorm rooms and lunch and/or dinner is extra, too - but it's worth the price!!). And an incredible atmosphere - there are old frescoes in the breakfast room! Go there!

• 17th Aug 2013

Casa di Roberto

Siena, Italy

Sorry, can't tell you anything - didn't stay there. When I arrived, they told me they didn't get my reservation. No one spoke English, didn't even let me in. So I had to find someplace else to stay - great! Next day I went to the tourist office - they called the owners. Result: I got a room in a different B&B. So - a lot of hassle, and all I can say is: a) location is great, close to the center; b) call beforehand even if you got a booking confirmation - seems reservation doesn't always work.

• 15th Aug 2013

Chiostro delle Monache

Volterra, Italy

Nice, clean, calm, good food if you book it, friendly staff, airy rooms - perfect! Only "problem": it's a 15min walk to the actual town of Volterra (e.g. all the stuff you want to see). It's also a 5min walk to the nearest bus station and there are not too many city buses anyway. Apart from that (and that's hardly the hostel's fault), it was a fabulous stay and I'm sure to come back! Grazie per tutto!

• 28th Apr 2013

Ace Hotel (Kensington)

You can only have fun if go to the common area around the bar /the lounge/the garden. Going there, however, means spending money, since you're not allowed to drink any softdrinks not purchased at the bar. That puts a serious cramp on my fun! We're talking a hostel here, not a 5-star-hotel! Apart from that - clean, secure, reasonable rates, quiet side street - perfect if you just need a place to sleep.

Northshore Bude

Bude, England

Been there last year already - and my rating hasn't changed: one of the best (when it comes to feeling at home THE best)hostels I've ever staid at. The only drawback is the 10 min uphill walk from the bus station - but that's well worth it, believe me!! The staff is great and the house is gorgeous!

Ace Hotel (Kensington)

A thoroughly good hostel! Enjoy the garden at night. Enjoy sleep at night (it\'s in a very quiet side street). 2 Tube stations just around the corner. I liked it a lot and will be back for sure! One major bone to pick, though: Everything you drink in the garden or lounge, including soft drinks, has to be bought at the bar, which isn\'t too cheap. You can\'t bring your own. I wouldn\'t mind if it was just alcohol, but soft drinks, too?! Someone here wants to make money!

Northshore Bude

Bude, England

Wow! That was the best hostel on my whole trip! Big, airy rooms, friendly people, clean everything, a kitchen with more than enough of anything you might need.....I didn't want to leave! Only drawback: It's a ten minute walk up the hill from the main bus station - but it's worth it!!

The Crown Hotel & Bar

Glastonbury, England

Big, airy rooms, and you can actually open the windows! The rooms are clean, the shower in our room was too. Had a look at one of the other showers and that was less appetizing, though. Folks really should clean up after themselves - but if they don't, staff should.... Kitchen and Lounge were a bit shabby and rundown. Other than that, I enjoyed it a lot - I'll be back!

The rooms are a bit small and therefore stuffy - still, thanks or the fan in ours, it made things bearable. Also, it's quite loud in the night - not your fault, I guess, you can't turn off traffic, after all.