Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 26

The Blue14 House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

An oasis among Chiang Mai hostels. Its location a ways outside of the city center make it a good spot for those who are looking for tranquility. The lady who runs the place is wonderful: when I left, she went out of her way to drive me on her bike to the main road so that I could catch a songthaew. The beds are the softest I've slept in in Thailand, and they have privacy curtains too. I had a lovely stay here and would definitely come back!

Shiralea Backpackers Resort

Koh Phangan, Thailand

WOW! I never dreamed I'd find such a paradise on a backpacker's budget. The beds all have privacy curtains and personal closet spaces. There's a pool 20 seconds away, the beach two minutes away. The bar sells pretty decent food at decent prices. It's quite far from the party scene down at Haad Rin, which I appreciated, but everyone here was really nice and up for fun. It's going to take some convincing to make me stay anywhere else but here if I return to Koh Phangan... :P

One Stop Hostel Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

One Stop is the Hilton of hostels in Cambodia. Personal light, outlet, shelf, and towel hanging rod for every bed; staff cleaning the bathrooms nearly every hour; helpful staff with a great sense of humor. I stayed in the 10-person mixed dorm and the room was large enough for both us and all our bags. Would definitely stay here again!

This just-opened place is really just a converted apartment. The bed is a sheet of blanket laid over wooden planks. The shared bathroom is one of those older types where the squat toilet also functions as the shower drain; it could be cleaned a lot more. The owner, Vincent, is friendly and willing to talk. Still, in a city with so many excellent hostel choices that don't break the bank, this one will be hard-pressed to stand out.

Traffic Inn's excellent location makes it a great pick for someone just passing through Chengdu via bus. The layout and vibe of the place feels more like a comfortable hotel than a hostel, with hotel-like hallways, spotless toilets/showers, and a lack of common areas conducive to bonding with random fellow travelers. The staff is truly friendly and go out of their way to get you the information you want.

Stayed 2 nights in a single room, which was spacious and piney, with a soft bed, though soundproofing was poor. Toilets and showers are beginning to look a little out-of-date and could do with more cleaning throughout the course of the busy day. The owner of Mix has since gone on to open two other, more centralized hostels, but Mix's vibe is what makes it remain a classic: chill, friendly, and helpful.

365 Inn

Beijing, China

Less like a hostel and more like a cross between a hotel and slightly upscale college dorm. Everything is kept really clean, and the beds are the softest I've slept in in China. I stayed in three different 4-person rooms over the course of a week and some of the rooms feel a bit too cramped for 4 people and all our luggage. Also, there's no common area, just the bar/restaurant seating area. Still, it made for a comfortable and affordable stay in Beijing and I would stay here again!

Great place to come back to and relax in at the end of those sweltering Xi'an summer days. Powerful showers, attentive staff, interesting decorations. The common courtyard areas were too stifling to sit in during the hottest parts of the day (I and others just hid in our AC'ed rooms), and as a result there wasn't so much socializing going on. This hostel has everything you could want in a hostel, though. Would stay again!

Stayed in a 10-bed mixed dorm. Everyone was friendly and security not a problem. The location is a bit out of the city center, but plenty of public transport exists and is fairly easy to navigate, plus South Lake is an interesting place to people-watch at all times of day. The staff seemed a bit hassled by all they had to do and the numerous questions they had to answer, but were very willing to help.

Restful spot in a crazy-busy city. Dorms were bare but well organized and didn't *feel* bare, if you know what I mean. My biggest complaint was that there wasn't really a "traveler's community" vibe going on: everyone just sat in the main room on their phones or laptops.

Super convenient access to the Wulingyuan park entrance and bus station (just wave down Bus No. 2 on the side of the street opposite the hostel). Rooms are what you get for your money; hot water pressure is low and Western toilets are weak, but hey, this is China. The staff is uniformly helpful, and the downstairs lobby is a nice and quiet place to chill after a day in the park.

Zhangjiajie Bajie Youth Hostel

Zhangjiajie, China

Stayed in a private double with shared bathroom. Room and bed were big, bathroom was okay as long as you have your bathroom slippers (provided by the hostel) firmly on your feet and avoid looking into the corners... *shudder* Spent only one night here, in between a late flight into Zhangjiajie and an early bus off to Wulingyuan, but despite the friendly staff and relaxing "lodge-like" atmosphere of the common area I'm not sure I would stay here longer because gosh those bathrooms.

First-rate hostel! Rooms and bathrooms are clean and modern, staff is extremely knowledgeable and talented in English and socializing. Loved hanging out in the common area, the rooftop garden area... everywhere really. The food on order was convenient, cheap, tasty, and varied; I never felt the need to go out (bad for getting to know Chengdu, but great for resting up). Would definitely be back again!

We are so glad that you enjoy your stay at our hostel, we hope to have you stay with us again in near future, Greetings,