Footprints Hostel

Suzie's Guesthouse and Hostel KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Ringos Foyer Guest House

Melaka, Malaysia

A fantastically homely guesthouse. The owner, Howard is very friendly and introduces all new guests to the current ones, encouraging a strong group dynamic. He even took us out to markets and restaurants as a group and gave us tonnes of advice about the town. There's a huge rooftop area, great for chilling and partying and the living room has hundreds of movies and an hdmi lead so you can watch tv from your laptop. A definite winner!

Penny's Backpackers

Dunedin, New Zealand

Cheap and cheerful, friendly hostel. Great idea having free computers in the lounge. Only major problem was mice in the kitchen. We weren't warned and they ate my bread!

Glad you enjoyed your stay! As for that mice problem, we got rid of that hey presto!

Sparky's

Invercargill, New Zealand

More like a homestay than a hostel. Very friendly atmosphere and seems to attract a mature, pleasant crowd

YHA Te Anau

Base Wellington

Wellington, New Zealand

Braemar House YHA

Whanganui, New Zealand

The attractive building is primarily a Bed and Breakfast, but as a dorm-dwelling backpacker I didn't feel as if I was was treated any differently than a full-paying guest! The owner was present most of the time, and very friendly and helpful. The other guests (only two at the time) were lovely and the living area, kitchen and bathroom was very clean and comfy. The sleeping area is quite cramped but clean and comfortable as well. Recommended.

Ariki Backpackers

New Plymouth, New Zealand

Excellent, friendly, very helpful staff made all the difference here. A comfortable stay, though the dorm room was quite cramped and had to go through another dorm to reach it. Also, no security lockers. Fortunately the staff let me store my bags in the office more than once.

Junohall YHA Hostel Waitomo

Waitomo, New Zealand

Nice building in a beautiful area and within easy walking distance of the caves. No complaints, except that reception was only open for a relatively short period of time: probably due to low tourist season. The only reason it was a problem was that they locked my laptop away for safekeeping and I only just got it back before my bus arrived! Mainly my fault...

YHA Hamilton Microtel

Hamilton, New Zealand

I may be biased, as I was upgraded to a four bed ensuite straight away, but this hostel was one of the nicest I've stayed in. Very clean with a nice kitchen/living area including a cinema room. The location is close to the center of town and supermarkets and Global Gossip wifi is always a bonus: $5 for 24hrs unlimited. The staff were friendly and helpful, my only criticism is that the front desk was unmanned most of the time. Had to leave my key instead of checking out properly.

Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Bit of a noise problem, can't be helped in the city; but with the window shut the dorm was very hot and stuffy. Otherwise, a great budget hostel in an ideal location. Was woken up by a false fire alarm at 2am one night but again, can't really blame the hostel and at least the fire alarms work!