Lybeer Travellers' Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Was really cold when I first got there, but seemed to warm up at night. The mattresses had huge stains on them & rips on the sides, and some of the blankets had stains which was...disconcerting. Bathrooms were clean, though. Lots of unsafe stairs to get to your rooms. Bruges is small enough that it's easy to get around everywhere so location was fine. Cool free walking tour of the city. Hostel felt deserted most of the time even when people were there - they don't seem to hangout in the lobby.

• 16th Dec 2013

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in, by far. The rooms were amazing, had some of the best bathrooms I've ever seen (the shower was better than my own at home!). Cool decor. Lockers in the rooms, beds were comfy and had good clean linens. Paid for breakfast in advance but no one was actually checking if you had paid, so that could've saved me 10 euros...but otherwise GREAT hostel. Very highly recommended. Will definitely look at other Meiningers across Europe in future travels!

• 14th Dec 2013

Vintage Boutique Hostel

Paris, France

There was so much mold that it looked like the ceiling was going to collapse - in fact, some of the wall was peeling off. The wifi hardly works at all (you can sometimes get it to work in the afternoon in the lobby, but forget about it in the AM or PM or in the rooms). I stayed there again a few days later cause I had already booked it & the bathroom was just as disgusting as the last one. Awful. Also I had booked an all-girl room and I was put in a 4-bedroom room with 3 dudes.

• 27th May 2013

Park House Women's Hostel

Nothing too fancy, feels like a dorm. Very secure, location wasn't super great, though (although it was very close to a tube station so that made it easy to get around, but nothing fantastic as far as walking distance is concerned). There's no wifi (they give you a cable for a laptop, but I only had my phone, so that really sucked). It's not for anyone who wants to meet others, though - definitely more of a "I want some time on my own" type of place.

• 25th May 2013

Dover Castle Hostel and Bar

None of the outlets worked in our room and the bar downstairs is VERY loud at night, especially if you're sleeping on the first floor. Bathroom set up is really weird (shower & sink in one room, toilet in another - so if you used the washroom and want to clean your hands you can't if someone's in the shower). Staff replaced a towel of mine that got thrown out/stolen (?) and the more regular residents were pretty nice. Bar downstairs has great pizza. Very very secure and close to a tube station.

• 20th May 2013