Hostel was clean. Kitchen/lounge area was pretty small. Not that great for hanging out and meeting people, but there's a cool coffee shop right up the street. Location is really good. You can grab the tube or a rental bike to the main tourist destinations. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Beds a little flimsy. Front desk staff slightly rude, but I don't speak any French and my experience is that speaking a least a tad bit of the language always improves social relations.

Shelter Jordan

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I'm not Christian. It was slightly weird. Big dorm felt more like a...homeless shelter.

St Christopher's at The Winston

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good location for the city center and red-light district. Nice inside. Great breakfast. Second best hostel I've been in.

Flying Pig Beach Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I'm not a big party, drink, smoke person. I thought the beach hostel would be more laid back. They played bad music and got drunk all night. I brought my ear plugs. Bring yours. Staff was really friendly and helpful. It was rainy and cold. This spoiled my trip. Not much open in neighborhood at night. Taking the bus and the train into the city is expensive. Must catch shuttle service offered, which is good, but doesn't run that often (understandable)

The Cat's Pajamas Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Cat's Pajama's is great. It's clean inside, and the staff are very welcoming. In the rooms, the bathroom showers are separate from the toilette. This is very convenient and seems to me hygienic. The kitchen is large and nicely kept. The breakfast is plain, brotchen and marmalades. Internet connection works well in all areas I was in, 1st-4th floors. The surrounding neighborhood is quite hip. There's a large bio grocer and other markets, and lots of Turkish döner places. I would repeat.