The Secret Garden Quito

Quito, Ecuador

Great location for the old town - stunning views over the city from the roof top terrace. I got a double room for the same cost as a dorm bed due to them overbooking the dorm, which was great for me! Only 20 minute walk from Mariscal in the day (take a taxi at night)

• 5th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

glad you enjoyed your stay, and yes we do sometimes give free upgrades if all 44 dorm beds are full, and this seems to be happening quite a lot!! Happy Travels.

Free breakfast included was a nice touch. Swimming pool & bar area very social - I liked the free salsa lesson too! Staff very helpful with directions and suggestions - I wanted to get some take out and they arranged with the restaurant over the street to deliver - which was fab!

• 25th Apr 2014

Musicology Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

The free dinner is a bonus, however the beds are hard and uncomfortable and the hot water isn't reliable. Whilst we were there the wifi also kept dropping out. Wifi, comfortable beds and hot water are three basic things a hostel needs, this wasn't redeemed by the staff but they were very friendly and helpful.

• 14th Apr 2014

Happy Buddha Boutique Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

Lovely new hostel right in the El Poblado district. Nice comfy beds and good vibe at the bar. Free brekkie with eggs and coffee was good too.

• 4th Apr 2014

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

We stayed in February which is low season and the hostel was renovating its bar/restaurant and some of the rooms - so the atmosphere probably wasn't indicative of what it's normally like! They did move the bar into the courtyard with beer tents to cover you when it rained! I thought this hostel was really well run and although it's not cheap it's very nice - wide beds with new mattresses, 2 pillows and constant hot water!! I would definitely stay again.

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Dear guest, thank you again for choose us like your hostel at Cusco, sorry again for the inconveniences at your stay, but the hostel is located at a colonial time house, so is very important make some maintenance work all the time, thank you again in advance for your understanding, Pariwana Cusco Team

Only a few minutes walk from the pedestrianised Lima street with its shops and restaurants this hostel is really central. They can arrange everything here for you from bus tickets to Cusco to tours of the floating islands and overnight stays on the other Peruvian islands. Brekkie includes cheese and ham!! A great place to stay in Puno

• 19th Feb 2014

Wild Rover Backpackers

La Paz, Bolivia

I liked a Wild Rover - being a big hostel it's very well run, with toilets and showers being constantly cleaned. However it is a party hostel - the bar is open very night til 2am and they have great parties. Just get a room in one of the quiet courtyards out back if you want to sleep! They can also arrange tours, bus tickets and death road for you!

• 8th Feb 2014

Hostal Laskar

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

When we eventually found the hostel it was great! Staff were helpful in arranging bikes to explore the area for 6,000 Ch for the day - with all the safety equipment you could need (helmets, lights, gloves, spare tyre, pump). The courtyard area is great to hang out in with a beer. The kitchen was fully equipped and free coffee and tea went down well. The shower inside was sporadic with hot water - but the one out in the courtyard was toasty! Get a better map for directions, this place is great!

• 25th Jan 2014

Hostel in Salta

Salta, Argentina

They arranged two tours for us and make coffee early so we could grab some breakfast before we went on them. Dorm with ensuite was absolutely fine - our fan broke and they gave us the air conditioning remote so we wouldn't die in the heat - really helpful with our questions too. Was a 20 minute walk to the bus station - it is over 10 blocks away!!

• 21st Jan 2014

Hostel Mora Mendoza

Mendoza, Argentina

We loved the activities that hostel organises - wine tasting, free happy hour everyday, empanada making classes etc and having the sister hostel with a pool is great! We didn't like the booking system & facilities say they have air con but not all rooms have this. They split our booking making one of us sleep in a non air con room (it's too hot for this in Jan) even though the other room wasn't full the whole time. My friend ended up sleeping on a mattress on the floor of the air con room..

• 16th Jan 2014

Rainbow Lodge HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

A compact hostel made from a 3 bed flat - so a tight squeeze! the beds are 3 high but are comfy and the curtains ensure some privacy. Hot showers and a hair dryer, free tea and coffee!

• 13th Dec 2013
  • Globetrotter

Free beer, only 8 beds in the dorm, good showers and a free brekkie (albeit just banana and baguette) :)

• 11th Dec 2013
  • Globetrotter

Brilliant location - free beer happy hour - nice beds and newish bathrooms with hot showers - all you need!

• 3rd Dec 2013

Hue Backpackers Hostel

Hue, Vietnam

I thought the hostel was a very good place to socialise - it's also very pretty with a large covered veranda. However staying in the 10 bed dorm wasn't great - lots of noise from people getting up/ going to bed at different times so don't expect to sleep! Plus only one shower for 10 girls is a challenge! Friends found double rooms for the same price as one dorm bed so its not the cheapest option for the area - if you don't stay here at least come for happy hour!

• 26th Nov 2013

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

Loved the sunflower! It's the place to be in Hoi An - not too far from the centre and a bike to the beach. The best bit is the swimming pool and buffet breakfast. Don't forget to check out the 3000 dong fresh beer at the restaurants next door.

• 23rd Nov 2013

True Friends Inn

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Great staff - shame they didn't have the room we booked ready. Hooks in the bathrooms would help not get my stuff wet when showering!

• 20th Nov 2013

Newland Hostel

Da Lat, Vietnam

I loved staying here - Peace the owner is fabulous, arranging tours - I would recommend the countryside tour, cooking class for dinner - where we went to the markets and then helped prepare the food before eating a lot! The atmosphere was great, the rooms recently decorated and with decent beds - only thing missing was consistent hot water - it's a lot colder up in the mountains so cold showers don't appeal!

• 18th Nov 2013

My My Arthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Very security conscious. We stayed in My My 2 - which was through a network of alleyways (only got lost once!) - you are right in the centre of the area seeing how the locals live - we loved it! Kim is very helpful with tours and buses etc.

• 14th Nov 2013

Me Mates Villa

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The best thing about this hostel are the staff - they know everyone by name, they recognised me 2 weeks after I stayed 12 hours! And they are really welcoming and accommodating. The location is great - very close to the Royal Palace, National Museum and riverside and lots of bars and restaurants. The only downside is that the 8 bed dorm was a little cramped and didn't have sufficient charging points near the beds - we had to stretch cords across the aisle!

• 11th Nov 2013

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is a great hostel - the staff are lovely and friendly, the location is a few minutes walk from the old market and pub street but yet quiet, there are great facilities like the swimming pool, cinema room and balconies in dorm rooms. In short I loved it and would recommend to anyone. For a longer review I would add that the management are supporting 22 local staff and their families and 11 tuk tuk drivers. They are one of the first employers to give maternity leave - worth supporting!

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi and thanks - I'm happy to say that that info needs updating: since the recent implementation of paid annual leave and paternity leave, the Hostel now employs 27 locals with conditions unheard of in the workplace here in Cambodia. Enjoy the rest of your travels. :-)

Mushroom Point

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Staff took the time to explain that in wet season robberies were rife and to avoid anything being stolen we needed to use the safe in the room and leave items with the bar at the beach when swimming. Seems a bit over the top but its worthwhile advice - a friend got a bag stolen on a beach not far away. The hostel was lovely and chilled out. The staff were great - really friendly and helpful when we needed to split our bill 5 ways! It was pricey but worth it! Dorm rooms have the same round beds.

• 3rd Nov 2013

Me Mates Villa

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

We only stayed for about 7 hours as we got in late and left early - the staff were fantastic - giving us a ride to go get some food from a cafe and also arranging for the cook to come in early so we could grab some breakfast to go. I'll definitely be coming back here when I'm next in Phnom Penh.

• 24th Oct 2013

Suneta Hostel Khaosan

Bangkok, Thailand

Great hostel loved the wood decor - just a shame that we were sleeping next to the dorm door when people were coming and going all night long!

• 27th Sep 2013

Lub d Bangkok Silom

Bangkok, Thailand

I love the Lub D Silom - friendly staff, great atmosphere and always lots going on. Great location also - not far from the BTS at Chong Nonsi and a 20 minute walk to the river for the express boat to the Grand Palace / Khao San road etc

• 3rd Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

I had a great time here - the 2 bed dorm was decent and I got on with my room mate, I met lots of people and we went clubbing in the meat packing district - very fun!

• 26th Aug 2013

Wrigley Hostel

Chicago, USA

Great little hostel - only open for 3 months so far so they are getting used to running it. The staff were fabulous, rebooking me and helping out with issues. I enjoyed the Sunday night BBQ too!

• 12th Aug 2013

Sin City Hostel

Las Vegas, USA

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

I reported bed bugs in room 9 after i left - not sure they are dealing with the the problem given that they stated 'Unfortunately bed bugs are hard to deal with as there are many travelers coming and going everyday.'

• 29th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

I'm sorry that you left with that impression. We did act immediately when you reported a problem. We schedule room inspections several times a week. These are done at times when most guests are at the beach to allow us full access to the rooms. We would like these inspections to result in zero complaints. When we do get a complaint we examine that room immediately. Unfortunately, as you checked out that day, we weren't able to let you know that we had taken action. Mark,

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

More pricey than nearby hostels - but the facilities are good and make up for this - free wine and cheese night was good too!

• 24th Jun 2013