Fusion Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Great location, helpful staff, and good price. The much-touted bar was reserved for a corporate party one night I was there, and dead for the other 2 - check out Prague Beer Museum instead. :) Main complaint: The 15 bed mixed dorm had its 2 non-private showers in one (locking) room with a toilet and sink. There was another sink outside, and another toilet with a broken door lock. Also, the showers flooded the floor somewhat. Overall: inadequate.

Carpe Noctem Vitae

Budapest, Hungary

Spent four days here, and had a blast. All the guests that I met were super cool, and the staff were friendly, incredibly helpful and always available. It's secure, in a central location, and even has a view from the patio. Also, while this is *definitely* a party hostel, it quieted down after around 8 when everyone left for the nightly event (I went to 3, and they were all great fun.) Overall, I wouldn't change a thing. Except to add that beer vending machine, right Dave?

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

One of my favorite hostels so far. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the common area was lively, the bar was inexpensive, and the facilities were clean and well-maintained. There was a free cooking class where we made traditional soup and dessert, and daily information on nearby live music. Overall: If you're in Bratislava, stay at Hostel Blues!

Lollipop Hostel

Maribor, Slovenia

I stayed at Lollipop for one night and was satisfied with everything. It's located a few minutes walking from the town center and the main station, it's clean and welcoming, and the owner is friendly and helpful. That said, it's a smaller hostel and it was empty when I got there, so I'd recommend it more for a good quiet night's sleep than for meeting people.