Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 26

The Only Backpacker's Inn

Toronto, Canada

Small, very close to a metro line. Good hostel feel to it, relaxed - although I think I was staying in the room that the employees where staying in so it was quite clustered in that tiny room.

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

Had a bar downstairs, staff very good. even though staying in a 16 bed dorm, was managed well. Nothing to complain about really.

I feel HI hostels receive inflated review scores only because atmosphere and staff are what I believe to be MOST important when it comes to a hostel (not a hotel), but are scaled down to other attributes that they do well. The main seller for me was definitely its location.

HI - Boston Hostel

Boston, USA

I feel HI hostels receive inflated review scores only because atmosphere and staff are what I believe to be MOST important when it comes to a hostel (not a hotel), but are scaled down to other attributes that they do well. Run of the mill HI hostel.

Old City Philly House

Philadelphia, USA

Removal of shoes strictly enforced lol. I'm sorry but I wouldn't consider 'happy hour' as two tiny cups of beer.

HI - Chicago Hostel

Chicago, USA

I feel HI hostels receive inflated review scores only because atmosphere and staff are what I believe to be MOST important when it comes to a hostel (not a hotel), but are scaled down to other attributes that they do well. This felt like a pseudo hotel with not enough showers.

I feel HI hostels receive inflated review scores only because atmosphere and staff are what I believe to be MOST important when it comes to a hostel (not a hotel), but are scaled down to other attributes that they do well. I will have to admit that the fact it is an ex-mansion made it definitely feel different, and the facilities were amazing.

Drifter Jack's Hostel

Austin, USA

The finest hostel staff. Easygoing, just want you want from a good hostel.

Samesun Venice Beach

Los Angeles, USA

Its close proximity to Venice Beach is its major selling point, so if that's what you want then there's nothing wrong with staying here. Most of the staff where either from Australia or NZ.

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

Couldn't really ask for more from a hostel. We stayed here on the weekend, so there was a lot of english lads there for a boozy weekend.

Travellers Home Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

We stayed for 2 nights. The facilities are very good, very large rooms, great kitchen and common area. The breakfast was basic but sufficient. Generally has a very laid back atmosphere but the best aspect is the extremely friendly and helpful staff, notably Alem, who went well beyond the call of duty to help us. Recommended.

Ivanhoe Hostel

Rome, Italy

We stayed at the Ivanhoe Hostel for 5 nights. The location is very good but somewhat hard to find. The hostel is very cramped with the "common room" consisting of the hallway. The atmosphere was actually quite friendly except for the staff who came off as strange (for instance, they are all male and sleep in the dorm rooms). However, one of us developed a number of suspicious bites on his back and arms which we suspect were bed bugs. Beware. Also lockout from 11am - 4pm ('party hostel??').