Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 23

Mamatierra Hostel

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Absolutely the best hostel I have stayed at during my 7 week South America tour. First of all, the breakfast was brilliant. Eggs, bread, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea, milk, etc. One is allowed to access the kitchen, refrigerator, appliances and cookware at any time. The hostel was very clean, the water was HOT (unlike many other hostels who claim this), the staff was friendly, and the rooms were nice. Overall, I would highly recommend this hostel to anybody and I will certainly be back!!!

Pros: -Clean, hot showers with great water pressure -Scrambled eggs for breakfast are a step up from most hostel breakfasts Cons: -Cigarette smoke everywhere. My clothes and hair reeked of it after 2 days. Disgusting. -Loud electronic music was played from the mid afternoon (5pm) until the early morningm with the sound resonating through the entire hostel While it was very clean, the smoke and pounding music was a dealbreaker and forced us to leave early.

Very nicely located, and a conveniently located and fair priced resaturant on the patio. I also liked the programmable safe for storing valuables. Hot showers would have been nice however.

Fantastic hostel. I will certainly return when I am back in Lima.

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

I was impressed by the cleanliness and overall order of the hostel. The security was great, including a programmable locker for valuables. The reception was not great, as rather than being greeted as guests like in smaller hostels, we were given papers to fill out before being offered to put our stuff down. Further, we were required to wear a wristband for the duration of our stay, which seemed very impersonal. Overall, good value and a good hostel, but could have a friendlier atmosphere.

Makako Chill Out Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

Great staff and great people staying there. Perfect size for meeting people and going out with them at night.

Tiger Paw Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

This must be one of the best hostel experiences I have had. The staff- which were all very friendly and attractive- set a great atmosphere. The cleanliness, location, safety, value, help, drink prices, etc were all fantastic and I would highly recommend it.

Hostel Sue Candelaria

Bogota, Colombia

The hostel itself is great. It is clean, has friendly staff, good breakfast, hot water, etc. However, travellers should be aware of the potentially dangerous area after nightfall. Unfortunately, most hostels are in this historic region. High vigilance is required even just outside the gates at night.