Yamen Hostel

Pingyao, China

The dorm beds have no proper mattresses, there are no lockers either and the showers are not super clean, or warm. The common room's nice though, and warm. Pingyao's pretty small but the hostel is quite ideally located. Staff didn't seem very enthuisiastic to help or answer questions.

Decent enough place. My only big issue with it is that people smoke everywhere in the hostel but the rooms. As a non-smoker I find this highly unacceptable. At least limit the smoking to the outside area. Not super clean. There was rubbish in my dorm that never got cleaned after 3 nights and they didn't sweep/vaccum the dorms much. Bathrooms are so-so. Location is not ideal, 35mins walk to the centre, not a lot of food places in the immediate vicinity.

The best hostel I've stayed at in China so far. Very clean, dorms have individual lights, powerpoints and shelves which are a plus. Rooms are light and airy. Bathrooms are clean and showers are hot and have good water pressure. The hostel's restaurant is pretty good too. A lot of travellers come through so it's easy to meet people and most of the staff (expect the guy) are very helpful and kind. I'd definitely recommend it. Nicely decorated too.

Hi Nevine, thanks for your feed back, we will try our best to do the job better. Welcome back to our hostel in the future:)

Climbers Inn

Yangshuo, China

The place to go if you're a climber. Lilly, the owner, is super helpful and lovely and will help you with everything. Excellend place to meet other climbers. Dorm was super damp though and a little moldy and smelly, the bathroom small and hot water was on and off. The private rooms are a much better option. Also the directions from the station are outdated. I still really recommend the place and will come again next time I'm in Yangshuo but will stay in a private room!

Shenzhen Super2 Hostel

Shenzhen, China

DO NOT GO THERE. This isn't really a hostel, more like long-term accomodation for young Chinese people. There are no proper mattresses in the dorm, the bathrooms are gross, the common area and kitchen are super messy and people smoke in it, staff speaks very little english so is unable to help you and the location's not even that good, more like a half hour walk to the subway if you don't know the backways. Super expensive for what is is.

A bit expensive for China. Dorms are quite small and windowless so a bit stuffy. Big common area and fridge but no kitchen. Showers and toilets a little out of the way but clean and practical. Area to dry your clothes was dirty and next to a smoking space, not cool. Staff couldn't speak english very well so had a lot of trouble to get info on booking train tickets etc. Excellent location though.

Thanks for the review,u must be very strictly to others in your daily life,hah, just joke. We do accept parts of opinion and will make changes.But for price,we still believe it's reasonable,can't image how 1 dollar for one bed/night is expensive for you

As my last stop in Taiwan this was pretty much everything I wanted and more. Anne and Amy were absolutely awesome, they helped me out heaps, giving me lifts to the station and the night market, giving me plenty of advice. The place is super clean, the sofa/tv area super comfy, the internet's fast, there's a kitchen, the beds are great (best nights' sleep in Taiwan!) and even though Qidu is not a tourist centre it is close to Taipei, Jiufen, Keelung and tons of good hiking. Just great!

Formosa Backpackers Hostel

Hualien, Taiwan

Was locked out when I wanted to check in and had to call several times to get in. No kitchen facilities or free tea/coffee. Staff are super nice and helpful though, the extensive library is pretty great. However there were instances of bed bugs in my dorm and the showers were not very practical/clean. Nice atmosphere though.

Thank you Nevine,we will take your advice, and will keeping hostel clean and tidy,and hope to see you next time in Hualien to see our improving, Bon voyage!!

BlueHi Hostel

Kenting, Taiwan

The place is not in Kenting itself, so count extra travel time. Single room was ok, very small, no window and cramped. The bathrooms and showers were gross, smelled bad and were in the basement. The lobby area is nice but with the people in the other room smoking and playing loud video games you don't really want to stay there long. Breakfast is good though, Can rent bicycles and places around to rent scooters. Internet's decent. For the price it's ok I guess.

Backpacker 41

Kaohsiung, Taiwan

All in all very good. Nice kitchen and common area, nicely decorated and very clean. Lockers outside of dorm which is good, less noisy. Helpful staff, close to metro.

Dadaocheng Guest House

Taipei, Taiwan

There weren't a lot of people when I stayed there so the atmosphere wasn't the best. Wifi works well in the lounge area but not the best in the rooms. Shower temperatures were a bit dodgy, going from cold to burning hot. I liked the sink only room and the little kitchen's cool for having breakfast. Power points and lights for every bed are a good addition. Would stay there again though, close to Ningxia market and 10 mins from an MRT stop.

Bazil's Hostel

Westport, New Zealand

Only stayed for a night but was quite good. Rooms are a bit old so no powerpoints for every bed or bedlights. Also open to campers and tour groups so can get quite cramped especially in the kitchen area. Unlimited and reasonably fast internet which is a plus in New Zealand.

Adventure Queenstown Hostel

Queenstown, New Zealand

Very awesome place! Comfy beds, powerpoints and hooks everywhere, super secure, lots of storage space, kitchen and dining area are fantastic, lounge and tv area is super comfy, the only downside is the slow internet but that's everywhere in NZ. Staff are extra super helpful, free international calls, cheap dinner nights, books to borrow! Just excelllent :) Prime location too!

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

The place is quite nice and everything, beds are comfy, the location interesting, bathrooms clean but for the price you pay you'd expect free proper internet. A little far by foor from the centre.

Arpacay Backpackers Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

Good location and the hostel is quite nice. There didn't seem to be any 'quiet after 10pm' rule so the people in my dorm just didn't care about me and my friend wanting to go to sleep around midnight and kept drinking and playing music super loudly until 1am. Also because the hostel serves its own (paid) breakfast they were really annoyed at us for wanting to eat our own breakfast and using the kitchen facilities. Otherwise, the sheets were clean, the beds comfy and the rooms big.

• 15th Jul 2013