This place is overrated. I enjoyed my stay, but my feeling is that the whole "green" thing is more hype than fact. For example, the lights in the bathroom and showers were often left on by guests, since the guests were lazy and there was no way for the lights to turn off automatically. Also, the little reading lights in my room mostly didn't work and were even detached. Also, there were soap dispensers in the showers, but they were always empty. Finally, the location is not bad, but not good.

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Likes: Location, atmosphere of the common area, overall cleanliness, garden/sun deck. Dislikes: shower drain in Room 301 was clogged, which led to instant flooding of the entire little bathroom; someone smoked in my room, which is inexcusable. Fix the drain and make sure your guests know that smoking is not permitted. Besides the j**k who smoked in my room, I had to tell another guy who was about to light up in the common area that there was no smoking allowed. Nevertheless, the place is great.

Thank you for giving us so pertinent comments. On one hand, the great staff, atmosphere and all the things you liked is our advantage, we will continue to adhere to and strive to do better. On the other hand, as you mentioned that some people smoked in the room, we feel very sorry, but thank you for the suggestion. we will continue to remind all the guest and ensure "no smoking“ in the room. Great greetings and best wishes.

Koh Tao Central Hostel

Koh Tao, Thailand

This is a really good, ecologically friendly hostel. Although I was in a room with 14 beds, I slept very well all three nights I stayed there, b/c everyone seemed to respect the quiet hours (after 10 pm) and my bed was spacious and comfortable; the AC worked well; the Wi-Fi worked well; they have small lockers (but you need your own lock); the showers and toilets were cleaned regularly; the hostel is practically right at the pier; there are plenty of shops and restaurants right there. Thumbs up!

Backpacker Samui Hostel

Koh Samui, Thailand

Pros: Free cold water to fill up your water bottle; Ricky, the owner, is super friendly; comfy beds; shower curtain separating "shower" and "toilet" prevents water from getting all over the place as per usual in Thailand; soap dispenser in the shower; Internet works; storage lockers with key; great location; fair prices for food/drinks; scooter rental. Cons: The woman who assists Ricky is a bit too grumpy and her English isn't that great; the annoying "bar chicks" at the massage place next door.

Bluefin Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

This hostel is not for everyone, because the facilities are not exactly modern (i.e., cold showers, which are actually nice in the heat[!], and your basic flush-using-a-bucket-full-of-water toilets); it's located in a non-touristy area relatively far from the main backpacker area; and the furnishings are quite basic. However, the place can grow on you. My first instinct was to leave right away, but after I settled in I realized how relaxing the place could be and even spent an extra night there.

Siem Reap Holiday Garden

Siem Reap, Cambodia

The place is really close to the "action," but you might not recognize that fact when you step out the door, because the main street is a few blocks away. The twin room I had was SPACIOUS and the beds were HUGE, but there were lots of tiny ants in the bathroom (including on the toilet seat) and lots of mosquitoes in the room, a problem I did not encounter anywhere else in Cambodia. The main issue I had was the extra 10% VAT charge that was not mentioned anywhere beforehand. Be prepared for that!

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

We enjoyed our stay at the Mad Monkey. We especially liked the fact that: The staff members were quite friendly; some of the bathrooms were super clean, had modern fixtures, and were bright and cheery; we got free drink coupons when we checked in; the bar closed early enough that we got to bed at a decent hour; and the hostel is environmentally friendly. What we didn't really like was that the walls were paper thin, so at times we felt as if our talkative neighbors were sharing our room with us.

Mui Ne Backpackers Resort

Mui Ne, Vietnam

I have mixed feelings about the place and would not stay there again. Pros: Lounge chairs out back; direct access to beach; spacious dorm room; clean beds; close to everything. Cons: No breakfast; next door to a bar with loud music; lax night-time security; the two owners. The one annoying thing about my stay was the owners and their insincere attitudes, including talk about "half-day" bicycle rentals when they really meant "4 hours." I enjoyed my stay, but this place is quite a bit over-rated.

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

I would definitely stay again at Little Hanoi Hostel and I highly recommend it. Cons: The 8-bed dorm was cramped (4 bunk beds, not much space to move or for your things); they didn't point out the free towels. Pros: Beds are comfortable and big enough for tall guys like me (6'2"); location; value for money; free breakfast (I had the egg sandwich); free fruit throughout the day; free luggage storage; and the wonderful staff (especially Lily). The bottom line: For $6, it's the deal of the century.

Las Vegas Hostel

Las Vegas, USA

The guy checking me in told me he couldn't find my reservation even though I had my confirmation with me. Another guy who works there showed up, however, and said there was plenty of space for me. Also, I ended up in an 8-bed room instead of the 6-bed room that I had booked, but I slept really well, so that change was perhaps a blessing in disguise! The other screwy thing was that, despite having a reservation, they raised the price on me by $4. My suggestion: Call ahead to confirm your details!