Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

This is an ok hostel if you're looking for a cheap place to stay for the night. I don't really have anything special to say about the place, the location is good right in the city centre. The curtains in the dorm were broken so everyone was wide awake at 6am and the pillow and duvet were wafer thin.

• 10th Feb 2014

YMCA Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

This is my second stay at the YMCA Hostel in Auckland and I would recommend it to anyone. I book a private single room and is much cheaper than getting a hotel room. The rooms are very clean and neat. If you're looking for a basic place to sleep this is ideal.

• 12th Jan 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed staying with us, happy you understand our concept, we aim to provide an affordable, comfortable and clean accommodation. We are looking forward to meeting you here again. Kind regards, Andre Vidoto Centre Manager

Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Stayed in a 10 bed dorm and had the worst night sleep I've ever had. I did book for 2 nights but left after the first night. The bed had graffiti all over it and had wooden slats missing, making sleep practically impossible. This seems to be a party hostel full of young males talking about local prostitutes and strip clubs, I felt very uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend this place.

• 23rd Oct 2013

Hi there, thank you very much for your review. Our large dorm rooms get quite full at this time of year and the space is not that big unfortunately. We will follow up on the missing slats and removal of the graffiti. Unfortunately it is out of control what other guests are staying in the room and what they talk about. We would like to offer you a free upgrade into a smaller dorm room on the quieter side of the building when you come back to Auckland. Thanks Nomads Auckland

YHA Auckland International

Auckland, New Zealand

I've stayed in this hostel maybe 3 or 4 times now and have to say it's my favourite in Auckland. It's quiet, clean, close to all the attractions and isn't full of idiots wanting to drink all night long. Stay here if you're looking for a peaceful nights sleep and want a clean, pleasant place to stay.

• 19th Oct 2013

Silverfern Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

Just an average budget hostel. Not too much really to say about it really. The poor receptionist looked exhausted, I checked in 7pm and checked out at 7:30am the next day and she was still there! You're provisioned with a pillow and a sheet when you check in, I woke up a twice times in the night shivering as the sheet was only very thin. The plus was that I had a power socket next to me! TBH, I would much rather pay the extra $3 per night and stay elsewhere. I dislike the $50 deposit on check in

• 18th Oct 2013

Free blankets are available at reception, large signs on the front desk indicate this.

Rainbow Lodge Backpackers

Taupo, New Zealand

I stayed here in May and forgot to place a review. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly. We booked our own 4 bed dorm and the facilities were great. It had an en-suite and everything was very clean and tidy. It seemed that there were a few long term stayers who like to strut around and make out they owned the place, and the typical male scent marking which spoilt it a little, but I'm sure they would have left by now!

• 31st May 2013

YHA Queenstown Central

Queenstown, New Zealand

The hostel has a great location, it's right in the centre of Queenstown. The security is good and the hostel is very clean. However in my opinion it needs a complete renovation - it's extremely outdated and overpriced for what you actually get. The other major hostels seem to be much more modern and cheaper.

YHA Auckland City

Auckland, New Zealand

The single rooms are very spacious and clean with a nice view and the location is good just off Queen St. Strangely there are only 2 showers per level so the chances are you will be waiting at peak times. I had a pleasant stay until checking out - the receptionist was a complete jobs worth. My suitcase was about 4ft and 30KG and I was expected to place it in a locker as it is 'not policy to hold luggage' after an argument her common sense seemed to kick in and was allowed to stow my luggage.

YHA Auckland International

Auckland, New Zealand

This is probably one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed at. If you're looking for a relaxing place to stay this is it. It's not lively and lacks an exciting atmosphere most young travellers want, but if you're looking for somewhere clean and relaxed you'll love this place. It's very spacious and staff were friendly and welcoming. Would recommend.

• 30th Jul 2012

Eva's Backpackers

Sydney, Australia

If you're on a tight budget this place is great. The location is central and the train station is 5 minutes away. It's a very small, somewhat homely hostel that is much more relaxed than lively. My room was big enough and the en-suite was a pleasant surprise. The only downfall (?) was blankets and sheets were always covered in hair, I asked for new ones all the time but had the same issue. If you have a hair fetish then this is your place!

• 15th Jul 2012

Base Brisbane - Embassy

Brisbane, Australia

My third time staying here for a weekend away in Brisbane. Great location and modern clean facilities. The water in the shower was quite cold for the two nights I was there, apart from that another great weekend away.

Adelaide Central YHA

Adelaide, Australia

I've had a great 2 nights here. The place is spacious, very clean and not too far from the city centre at all. Staff were very friendly and helpful and common areas/tv rooms were well equipped! Would stay again without a second thought.

• 27th Apr 2012

Base Brisbane - Central

Brisbane, Australia

This is an old building which still has a lot of character. Security is very good as swipe cards are needed for most places. However, the hostel is run down and toilets/showers are covered in graffiti (some from 2007!) Some hallway walls are half painted and tiles are missing. The hostel needs major investment and a good clean.

• 27th Oct 2011

Dolphins Beach House

Noosa, Australia

I really tried to like this place but the negatives out-weighed the positives. The bathroom door didn't lock, there's no hand soap in any toilets and worst of all the kitchen of my dorm was infested with cockroaches at night and the furniture was broken. The hostel needs an injection of cash to fix a lot of problems. I wouldn't stay here again.

• 25th Oct 2011

Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort

Surfers Paradise, Australia

This was my second stay here. It has free wifi and it's good value for money. However, the matress' are quite old and have been shaped by 100s of peoples bottoms which has made them very thin! The bathrooms are very good and clean. When I was checking out I removed my pillowcase and was horrified at the colour/state of the pillow. I would definately check the state of it before using it!!!

• 23rd Oct 2011

Thank you for your review.Oh goodness, WHY didn't you tell us your problems whilst you were here?! ! We have spare mattresses and pillows. The hostel does have a program of regularly changing mattresses and pillows but some do get missed or get a bit worn down faster than others. (pillows can disclolour very quickly even at home) At least your first stay couldn't have been as uncomfortable and thank goodness you generally enjoyed your time here. Perhaps we'll see you again. Cheers

Base Brisbane - Embassy

Brisbane, Australia

Hostel is right in the centre of Brisbane and has great security. The day staff were friendly and helpful and showers were generally clean. I had to checkout at 6am and had to walk to another hostel to do this, even though the reception was staffed (with an unfriendly night 'manager') - if you don't understand grunts don't waste your time with him!

• 21st Oct 2011

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback - we always enjoy getting it when people enjoy their stay! So far as the early checkout goes, our reception is only open for cash transactions from 7am, hence why you had to pop up the road to check out. Obviously we'd prefer our staff to do a little more than grunt - but no fear, we've re-programmed our night staff and they're all-singing, all-dancing bundles of awesome! Safe travels from the Base Embassy crew!

Dingo Moon Lodge

Darwin, Australia

Hostel is in a great position right in the centre of Darwin. The showers/toilets are always clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed in a private room and was comfortable. Would recommend.

• 17th Oct 2011

Western Beach Lodge

Perth, Australia

This is a small and homely hostel and was kept very clean. The downside of this place is the location. If you have your own transport then it's not really an issue, but the bus trip takes roughly 45 minutes from the city, with the last bus at night being 12:08am. The last bus on a Sunday is (incredibly) at 7pm. Most of the residents have been there for months, and have sort of taken over the place as their own. Some of the residents were friendly whilst some not.

• 13th Oct 2011

Blue Mountains YHA

Blue Mountains, Australia

A great homely hostel in a great location!

• 15th Jan 2011

Space Hotel

Melbourne, Australia

a good location, but currently a building site. workers start at 7am and are very loud. if you are looking for some good sleep I would wait for a few months until they have finish with construction. there's bits of plaster and other rubbish on the floor, even around shower areas. the finished rooms are however very nice, modern and clean.

• 15th Nov 2010

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

a very nice hostel hidden away down a small street. very clean, modern and lots of space. This hostel would be great in another more interesting town..!

Bunk Backpackers

Brisbane, Australia

This is a very lively hostel so not much good if you are wanting to sleep before 5am as it has a nightclub and the windows aren't soundproof at all. One female receptionist is very rude, and doesn't have much idea what's going on. The common room and kitchen were clean.

Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort

Surfers Paradise, Australia

An American motel-style resort, clean and practical. Had a drunken loud mouth in my dorm but the staff came and took care of him quickly. Not many negative things to say about this place, though not sure where the 5 stars come from on the signpost outside?!

Thank you for your comments. Hmmm yes, drunken loud mouths are a little beyond our control and an occasional hazard with shared accommodation, but I'm glad the staff were able to help out. Oh, the 5 stars outside, they were given by a backpacker rating system which takes in to consideration many different categories that backpackers decided were important to them. At the end of the day, we recognise that so much about accommodation is dependent on personal tastes and requirements. Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay. Happy travels.

Bounce Sydney

Sydney, Australia

A brand-new hostel, clean, stylish, welcoming! The free hour wifi is a great perk, but even paid wifi is only $3/hour! The common areas are clean and welcoming, each room has it's own air con controller. The only slightly negative comment I can think of is en-suite rooms are for female only. Great location from central station. Would stay here again!

Hey Sean Thanks for taking the time to write us a review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon. Make sure you come back to check out the bar "Winking Lizard" due to open 13th November! With Love, Bounce crew

Borders Beyond

Auckland, New Zealand

It's a bit of a trek from the centre of Auckland, not even the taxi driver could find it! This is a small, homely place and it's ideal if you are spending more than a few days in Auckland and want something cheap. The showers weren't that inviting, and could do with some power sockets in there too!

YHA Wellington City

Wellington, New Zealand

a nice hostel, only stayed one night and left very early the next day. the only negative thing i can say is that there's no lockers in the dorms.

Base Wellington

Wellington, New Zealand

only stayed one night, got there quite late and left very early the next day. seemed to be a good place. the only thing i can comment on was the bed was like sleeping on a tree.. didn't sleep very well!

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

Don't do it! This IS the worst hostel i've ever been in. First, it's next door to a brothel, workers and clients are all over the place. I booked in a 6 bed dorm and lasted about 10 minutes.. it was disgustingly dirty and was like a dungeon. I complained and moved to a private room.. If you really do want to stay here i suggest you do the same! The lockers in the dorm were hollow-backed, so anyone could steal your things very easily.

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

A great base for Sydney. I stayed in the 10 bed dorm in level 1 and was very loud from the nightclub below, had a few bad room mates too.. asked to move and upgraded to a 4 bed, which was a much better experience! If you can, ask to go to a top floor. The bathrooms are very clean and most staff are friendly. A great way to meet people, and security is very good too!

Ace Hotel (Kensington)

my 2nd stay - good location, good price, staff are okish, can't really think of a bad thing to say about the place.. Erm, more power sockets please?!

a great hostel, I was on the top floor (en-suites) and they were very spacious with single beds. *****