Cute little hostel with a lovely common area upstairs and a terrace with amazing views! Dorm room was a teeny bit cold and small, but fairly empty when I was there (which was probably good since I had more room for my stuff!) but that's just timing. No lockers. Friendly helpful staff, fairly well-equipped little kitchen that you can use. Worth the climb up the steps away from the road to get here! Shower taps wrongly labelled the 'English' way round: options are H and C but C = Caliente = hot!

• 14th Sep 2013

Alpes Huaraz

Huaraz, Peru

The staff were incredibly helpful with recommending the best tours, for example not selling a tour if they knew you were likely to repeat an experience that would be doing on another tour. After a couple of days I really trusted what they were saying. Great common room, great view from the terrace. The extra breakfast options was literally the only slight disappointment - fresh fruit salad only available on 1 of the 5 mornings I asked for it!

• 7th Sep 2013

Hostal Cafe Tiana

Latacunga, Ecuador

• 12th Aug 2013

The Secret Garden Quito

Quito, Ecuador

Lovely place to stay, wish I could have stayed longer! The volunteers were really helpful and friendly, I loved the whole feel of the place, the view was spectacular and the food was amazing! Hot water in the showers. It didn't even matter that there was no wifi!

• 5th Aug 2013

Terra Brasilis Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This was a great place to stay, really lovely and welcoming hostel in a great location with views over the city, I will be recommending it to people as I go... In fact I already have! The staff, especially Guara, were kind and helpful and interesting to talk to. The other travellers there at the time were my kind of people, laid back and open to getting to know new people and being really sociable, but also respectful of the other guests.

• 20th Jun 2013