Reviews: in2itive1

Location: New Zealand, Gender: Female, Age: 51

Buddha Hostel Medellin

Medellin, Colombia

I have been here for 5 weeks and really love it. The staff are super friendly and all speak English. They go out of their way to help guests and Estelle keeps the place spotless. Great breakfast. It's in a really safe, pretty neighbourhood. It's not a party hostel, although guests still socialise and have a good time. Beautiful relaxing garden with hammock and other places you can go for time to yourself. Wifi isn't very good on a laptop. Curtains in 10 bed dorm are needed to make it private.

Sophia's House

Medellin, Colombia

Close to a large mall and a bodega 2 houses away. The bodega turns into a bar at night so very noisy but doesn't go too late. I certainly didn't have the experience with the owners like others have. Maybe because I speak very little Spanish. It's not a hostel it's more like staying in someones filthy dirty house. I doubted the sheets were clean, no clean bench space, dirty dishes everywhere and flies. Bathroom was filthy. I moved to a much better hostel after the 3 nights I paid for upfront.

Really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay in our hostel, at that time had a great group here ¡all speak English! When you arrive requested a change to another room, we clean and change sheets in you sight to other room recently vacated. Our Staff clean several times in a day but our guest use the commun areas and some times is very difficult control these. You use the shared bathroom for wash your clothes and got a wakeup call. Most hostels in Medellin are houses adapted for this purpose

Alternative Hostels

Cuenca, Ecuador

I loved my week there. I really didn't want to leave. It is more like a hotel. Thank you to the lovely lady who kept the place spotless. Their attention to detail is outstanding, finally a hostel that has clothes hooks in the dorm and bathroom. Little lights above each bed. Well equipped kitchen. You could socialise if you wanted to or just find a quiet space. It is not a party hostel which was great for me. I would definitely go back. Thank you Xavier, Juan and Anna, you guys are the best!

Misfit Hostel

Mancora, Peru

I loved my stay here. Adam and Rodrigo are excellent hosts and really cool guys that hang out with their guests. I had great room mates and it was like a big family for the week I was there. Great breakfast of yummy croissants. Unfortunately being guys, the cleaning left a lot to be desired. The dorm wasn't swept the whole week and the bathroom wasn't kept clean, especially as all 5 of us in our dorm had the tummy bug. There is no lock on the door to the dorm, but still felt my stuff was safe.

Cheers for the review and thank you for all the good tips. We're working to impeove things as you know and we are looking for a good woman to put us back on the atraight and narrow. Much love, the Misfits

Chimú Beach

Trujillo, Peru

Overall enjoyed my 8 night stay. Owner is a great guy. Weren't many people there so very quiet. Stove top filthy and only got cleaned a day before I left. Kitchen in general was pretty dirty and no fridge. Shower wasn't cleaned at all, but has hot water! Dorm was only swept once and rubbish bin emptied once. Didn't get clean sheets like a lot of hostels after maybe 4 nights. People could just walk in off the street as main door was often not locked. I was never given a key to it like others.

La Posada del Kuraka

Arequipa, Peru

This was the third hostel I have stayed in in Arequipa and the best. Jose is so friendly and willing to help any way he could as was Claudia who does the cleaning. My room was comfortable although there was a problem with the light in the bathroom, I didn't quite understand the reason I was given as to why. I had wifi in my room although it did cut in and out a lot. Wifi in the lobby is fine. The kitchen is very small but ok for what I needed it for. It would be good to have had a fridge.

Samana Wasi Arequipa

Arequipa, Peru

The two older ladies were lovely. Excellent breakfast. I booked a single room for 2 nights was put in a 3 bed room. I wanted to stay another 6 nights so was put in a single room. The surfaces of everything in both rooms were filthy. I had to keep asking for toilet paper and for the bin to be emptied. Bathroom or room wasn't cleaned the whole time. Shower didn't drain properly and was luke warm. No kitchen facilities but they were happy for you to wash dishes and get hot water. Very comfy beds.

Arica Unite

Arica, Chile

My 2 night stay turned into 5. Jenny and Nico are a lovely French couple who do everything they can to make your stay a pleasant one. The best shower pressure I have had in he past 2 weeks. The water did go cold shortly after I got in it on 2 mornings. The breakfast is basic being 2 pieces of toast and tea or coffee. They played the best music. Reliable WIFI. It is about 1/2hr walk to downtown but has a local market. If you are looking for a quiet, small, friendly hostel then this is the place.

Backpackers San Pedro

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Lovely hostel within walking distance to the town. There were signs that made me laugh "save water, save the world" yet you ran good water down the drain waiting for the water to get hot, then the water go so hot you had to waste water waiting for it to get cold enough to finish your shower. I guess all of San Pedro water system is like this. The music went on a bit late for those of us who wanted a bit of quiet after 10pm! The smoke from the open fire was a bit much too at night.

Chilli Hostel Santiago

Santiago, Chile

I stayed here two years ago and nothing much has changed. Good breakfast and dinner each night with theme nights, e.g. pasta and vino night, BBQ on a Friday (6,000 pesos) and then free entry into a club. Lack of power points, particularly as everyone is travelling with technology these days. Wifi, cuts in and out and is quite slow at times. Because it's an old building the noise travels and the no noise after midnight policy isn't enforced. Good place, good location and great staff.

Chilli Hostel Santiago

Santiago, Chile

Loved my short stay at Aji Hostel. Particularly the staff, who apart from one, spoke excellent English which was helpful for me. Loved the free pasta and wine night - so much fun! Sorry to have missed the Friday night event. Great food at the ajoining cafe and well priced. I'll be back. Gracias guys you rock!

Casa Bellavista Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

Beautiful hostel. Hasn't been open long so everything is nice and new. The room with the bean bags is great when the sun is out. The decor is great, the beds and pillows are so comfortable. It's a great hostel to chill out in. Reliable WiFi! Will be good when they get a computer. Luis and the rest of the staff there are very welcoming and helpful. They almost all speak English as well which was of a great help to me! Would definitely stay there again.

Southern Comfort

Cusco, Peru

Love this hostel and am heading back there again tomorrow! Very clean, very quiet and fantastic pancake breakfast! Although it is about a 15 minute walk from the main plaza I didn't have a problem with this. It was close to everything you could need and quiet in contrast to the central touristy area. They have the cutest dog ever too! Looking forward to seeing her again :)

Home Peru

Lima, Peru

This was the dirtiest hostel I have stayed in in South America. The dorm I was in smelt musty and was dark - had to have the light (what light there was) on all the time. They need to advertise that the toilets and showers are mixed which I wasn't impressed about when I got there. The toilets were always running out of toilet paper. The computers were like the first computers ever made - the internet was painfully slow. The place was noisy - there seemed to be large groups staying there.

Home Peru

Lima, Peru

A very noisy hostel with people continuously coming and going. They seemed to have big groups there. Not very clean. I wasn't impressed to find the toilets and showers are mixed and you step straight out of the shower into the communal area! This fact should be advertised. The dorm I was in was dark and smelt musty. The computers must be the first computers that ever came out, they are slow and the screens are so old they are all fuzzy and pink! The whole place could do with a complete refurbishment.

Wiphala Hostel

Quito, Ecuador

This is a lovely hostel and so clean and tidy. It had only been open a month when I stayed. Super fast internet and the latest Windows. Very quiet...definitely not a party hostel. It also has carpet on the floor! What a luxury. The kitchen was downstairs and is kept locked, however it was never a problem for the staff to go and unlock or give me the keys (I seemed the only one that used the kitchen). Could do with a few more pots and pans and a can opener! I loved my stay there.

Alegria's Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

I was put in the 2nd house and was a bit worried about that after reading feedback from other travellers. I had no problems at all getting in. Occasionally you had to ring the bell several times and other travellers would answer the door. I did my fair share but it was no big deal. The 8 bed dorm above the TV room can be very noisy if the TV is up loud. The upstairs shower is also very temperamental! Lovely staff although spoke none or very little English but I got by as my Spanish is very limited. Overall

Jovitas Hostel

Cali, Colombia

Beautiful hostel, more like staying in a guest house. If you want a nice quiet serene place to stay this is the place. The ladies that run the place are just lovely, however don't speak English which can be a problem. Loved the free salsa lessons I had. It would be the cleanest hostel I have stayed in. The beds are very hard though!

Casa del Sol Backpackers Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

Great hostel, with really good atmosphere and clean. Staff are excellent and very helpful but not all speak English. Evam the owner really lovely and his son took myself and another traveller to the supermarket the night we arrived which was really appreciated. If however you are expecting a good nights sleep you may want to consider somewhere else. The building itself is not very sound-proof and you can hear EVERYTHING. The water in the showers is also very touch and go!

Thank´s for staying with us during the six nights that you were in the hostel. We wanted to make clear that Ivan is somebody who helps us in the hostel, but he is not the owner. The boy who accompained you to the market is his son, they both do not speak english. Ivan is a humble and helpful person who helps us out temporally while one of our colleages is out on holidays. We hope that you enjoyed the Flower Festival and that you solved all your problems with your cards. Hugs!!!! Felipe

The staff all speak good English. The four bed dorm I was put in barely had standing room. The last 2 nights there was a guy in the room even though it was a female dorm! I broke the glass jug for the coffee maker and was told I had to pay R40 when I was checking out. I asked for a reciept to prove cost. Told I would have to buy it myself. Told them they should have dealt with it at the time. I walked out and the black dude grabbed my arm and threatened to call the cops. I had to end up paying!

Jennifer, Firstly, you did not book for a female dorm, and we put you in the four beds dorm and you were told at check-in that a guy would be put in the room if need be and you agreed to it! Secondly, our staff are not obliged to pay for the things that the guests break, so yes, you break you pay, thats how it works anywhere. Thats the coffee maker that makes coffee for breakfast, so yes, you had to pay!!! Enjoy your trip!