Reviews: Impy

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 27

The hostel is not actually in Boston but in Everett (a suburb just outside). They offer a shuttle to get to the metro in the morning and evening but it's still inconvenient. The bar was nice and they had cheap beers, especially for Boston. The staff was friendly but they were hired staff and not volunteer travelers who in my experience tend to be more helpful and fun.

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

The location is amazing; while its far from all the tourist spots, it is in an very cool area. The park across the street is a haven for drug dealers but I never felt unsafe walking home at night. The common area closes at midnight but it is very active before then and everyone goes out around then anyway, Overall, if you're looking for a convenient place to see the sites look elsewhere. If you're looking for a hostel in a really cool area with character stay here.

Good party hostel though I didn't care for the pub crawl to much. Hanging out beforehand however was a blast. Bar has cheap drinks and the common area is comfortable. The bar area however is way to small and that seems to be where everyone drinks

The Monk's Bunk

Tallinn, Estonia

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. I originally booked it for 2 nights but couldn't bring myself to leave. The staff is amazing, very helpful, and fun. The hostel dinner for only 3 euros is a big plus and even taste good. If you stay here definitely take advantage of the prison tour. If I ever come back to Tallinn (and I hope to) I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

City Center Hostel

Kiev, Ukraine

Great location however I was the only person who spoke English there so meeting people wasn't an option (they all spoke Russian or ukrainian).

Old City Hostel

Lviv, Ukraine

Location was perfect. Unfortunately I stayed here during off season so it was pretty empty but based on talking to other people it was more full than other places in the area. When booking in lviv during non peak season I suggest looking at which hostels appear to be almost full (some room options aren't available or its fully booked on days a little before or after your stay).

TIU Front Page Hostel

Odessa, Ukraine

Really nice common area and kitchen and retry centrally located. The hot water went out for my first nights stay and they offered to find me another place which I declined, they then were nice enough to give me a nice refund for the inconvenience. I did not get the feeling this was a common occurrence. Not a lot of people but that was more based on the time of year than the hostel. Still met some cool people and would recommend it. They also have a very friendly cat!

Retro Moldova Hostel

Chisinau, Moldova

The staff was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Finding it from the bus station was hard as I couldn't find the first street mentioned on the directions. Once there though, it was easy. Make sure you download a map of the area around the bus station if you go that route. The bunker is really really cool. Definitely check it out if you stay here.

The Cozyness Downtown Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

Amazing place! Great atmosphere for a solo traveler, very easy to meet people. Nice garden out back. Staff was excellent. It is a little walk to get to old town but nothing to bad. I felt at home here. Kitchen is a little small but has everything you'll need.

Kismet Dao Hostel

Brasov, Romania

The free beer is great! Not everyone takes advantage of it so I ended up getting a couple extra. Met a few people from other hostels and none of them found it easy to meet people whereas it was very easy here. Nice common area in the basement.

Gia Hostel

Sighisoara, Romania

Did not feel like a hostel so much as a hotel with shared rooms. The rooms are really nice but it doesn't seem set up to meet people. Right near the train station which is nice but you have a little bit of a walk to get to anything worth seeing or doing.

Carpe Noctem

Budapest, Hungary

This is by far the best hostel I've stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot). The staff is both very helpful and a lot of fun which is a rare combination I have found. They run different events each night and they're not your normal hostel events, they're much rode fun. This is definitely a party hostel and lives up to that reputation but its also very easy to relax during the day. If you stay here, you will have a blast, meet great people, and not want to leave.

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

Really neat hostel. They have a lot of different instruments available, quite a few common rooms, and a bar. I found it very easy to meet people as the hostel gives a great vibe. Location wasn't the best but it also wasn't that bad as the metro is efficient.

Lollipop Hostel

Maribor, Slovenia

June is nice however very strict with the rules. When breakfast ends, it ends no exceptions. Checkout is at 10 that means out the door at 10. You can't hang out while you wait for your train or take 15 minutes to book something. Both of which I've found to be common courtesy in all the hostels I've stayed in. Keep this in mind when staying here and plan ahead book an early train. If you can't do that then stay elsewhere.

Celica Art Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Really neat hostel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They run various activities all the time. If you stay here bring a light and go down the stone steps and through the hole in the wall. It's worth it. Located right in a very popular area for people to hang out. I stayed here during both times in Ljubljana.

Ace of Spades Hostel

Bled, Slovenia

The common area is an outdoor patio and the kitchen. The trash in the kitchen tended to smell but the rooms were all very clean. Overall, an average hostel but there are better in Bled. To check in you have to go to the green building across the street (next to the super market) and ring the bell.

Celica Art Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Hostel Celica hasan awesome feel to it and looks awesome. Make sure to head down the stairs that have the history of the place. Grab a flashlight or your phone for light and step through the "crack" in the wall. It's pitch black so you'll need a light. The staff is very friendly and organizes activities ranging from dinners, to drink making competitions.

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

The staff was amazing. I stayed here when most people were large groups, 18, first time away from home, and didn't know how to drink which was unlucky but once they left the atmosphere was great. It's located very close to the upper town which was my favorite place.

Lounge Hostel Carnvale

Rijeka, Croatia

The cleanest hostel I've stayed in. They really take pride in keeping the place spotless. The decorations are really cool as well which gives the place a nice feel. The common area is pretty small and there wasn't a kitchen. Definitely a social hostel though not as social as some. I enjoyed my stay here.

Aston Hostel Rijeka

Rijeka, Croatia

Located right near the bus station which is nice. Unfortunately however there wasn't really a common area or kitchen to speak of which made meeting people outside of running into them in your room difficult.

The Yellow

Rome, Italy

This place lives up to the hype of being voted the top party hostel in Europe. It's a large hostel but everyone is very friendly and just looking to unwind and have a good time. There seems to be a lot of expats who come up on the weekend to stay here for the party. If you're looking to have some fun, this is the place to stay. The staff is also very friendly and fun. If you stay a long time, be prepared to need a day or two rest afterwords.

Star Hostel

Milan, Italy

Bob, the owner was awesome and he really cares! The hostel really is out of the way to get to but has stuff to do nearby. It just sucks to get to the center of town.

The Lazy Falken Backpacker

Interlaken, Switzerland

There are 2 buildings. If you're in the building with reception you have to go outside to the other one next door to get to the kitchen. Not a big deal but important to note. The main building at least has a really nice balcony. The owner is awesome, he gave me a beer and I hung out with him talking on the balcony.

Mountain Hostel Gimmelwald

Gimmelwald, Switzerland

The absolute best hostel I've ever stayed in. Petra is so nice and the staff are awesome and love to hang out and go hiking just like the people staying there. Petra seems to hand pick and invite certain people who have stayed there and it shows. The view from the hostel is absolutely breathtaking. I have never seen so many people add night after night beyond their intended stay. It's easy to see why though, mountain hostel attracts the friendliest, relaxed, accepting, and fun people,I've met.

The staff was very friendly and they have multiple common areas for you to hang out in. There are a ton of things to do in the hostel. Interlaken is small so it's hard to have a bad location. The only knock I have is that it was very cliquish. I was the only non Asian in the hostel and any attempt to join a conversation was met with weird looks and silence. Not sure if the hostel is normally like this though.

Youthhostel Bern

Bern, Switzerland

This hostel is very much geared towards families. Most of the people there were families or school groups. The staff was very helpful and friendly. 1 outlet for a 20 person room. I would not stay here again. If your a family this is a great choice, if your a solo backpacker, look elsewhere.

At first glance the hostel seems to be out of the way however every night just down the road a large group of locals congregate in a plaza to drink, play music, and hang out. Its also only 10 min from city center. The common area downstairs is amazing but closes at 11 pm every night so you can't hang out there after that. There is no breakfast. They have a guitar, banjo, dart board, and grille all in the common area downstairs which is great. It gets very hot at night in the summer so no ac hurt

Albareda Youthhostel

Barcelona, Spain

The staff are great. They seem to organize really great outings to bars or clubs every night and they're a lot of fun to hang out with. I hurt my ankle one night and couldn't go out so the night guy put on a movie and in the morning the morning guy was genuinely concerned that I feel better and tried to give me a crutch (though it wasn't that bad). Lockers were big enough to fit my 46 L bag. The only real downside is that it is a bit out of the way so its a little hike or metro ride most times.

Olga's Place

San Sebastian, Spain

The hostel is right near the surfers beach which I actually preferred over the regular beach (it had a younger crowd) even though I'm not a surfer so location was amazing. Olga and Raffa are really nice. They provide safes for free. The hostel is actually split into 2 sections so if your planning on going out don't forget to check the other side. The main side (which I was in) definitely could have been cleaner and the common area was very cramped. One night Raffa made huge paella for everyone.

This place has a large bar and lounge area that is a ton of fun at night. This is good because the hostel is way out of the way. Luckily they provide a free shuttle to the tram stop and for there you take the tram to town. Just make sure you get back by 2 am as its a long climb. The garden area is huge and beautiful. Happy hour has 1 euro beers at the bar. Since its so far out of the way you have a huge group hanging out and drinking so you meet a ton of different people.

Paranjib Guest House

Paris, France

I think they would do well to make it more clear that this is a Korean hostel. The staff is very friendly but speaks only a little english or French. There is. 1 am curfew so keep that in mind if you want to go out late. They feed you very well with Korean breakfast and dinner every day. I enjoyed my stay here and it was a very unique experience but I'd probably stay elsewhere if I find myself in Paris again.

Phoenix Hostel

I only stayed one night but the hostel felt very safe, the common room is a bar so it was pretty social though you couldn't bring your own alcohol. Chairs are comfortable and while you pay for the breakfast you have a much better selection.

Bath Backpackers

Bath, England

I enjoyed my stay here but I think that was mainly because of the people. The common room is very small and the tv tends to be the focus. They also don't serve breakfast so keep that in mind. The beds were comfortable so I slept pretty well there. I didn't really enjoy hanging out in the hostel with people as there simply wasn't enough room. Meeting people wasn't a problem, talking to them in the hostel was.

The hatters hostel has a lot going for it. They have a very large and cool common area with separate rooms for Nintendo 64 and a big screen for wii. The organized events never really happened while I was there but it wasn't an issue since a decent sized group would always be hanging out and socializing in the common room. The staff was also awesome. I would definitely stay here again.

Charlie the co-owner with his sister was amazing. I have not met a nicer owner or worker at a hostel than him. He made everyone free pizza the first night, pasta my second night and bought cookies and ice cream the third. It was all delicious. It had a pretty quiet/homey atmosphere to it but was still very social for a solo traveler which was a nice combination you don't see very often. The hostel was very clean. They also,had the best breakfast I've ever had at a hostel.

Oxford Backpackers Hostel

Oxford, England

The hostel has a ton going for it in what they offer. Unfortunately the execution was lacking. The common room was cramped so no more than a few people were able to talk in a group. This made it hard to meet new people. Since there's a bar in the common area you cannot bring your own alcohol when its open from 6:30-11:30 unless they close early. This caused people to hole up in their room and drink cheaply and in their own group. I met some cool people in the hall and out smoking but that's it.

Astor Hyde Park

Awesome hostel. It's Ina very rich part of London so is very safe. You need to take the underground to see most things but its a short walk to the station. The staff were amazing and very accommodating. They had 2 common areas depending on preference. The basement one to drink and hand out and the ground floor one with lots of couches and a tv to relax. I've met a few people since I left who have stayed and there and across the board their experience was the same. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.