Shoestrings Airport Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

The hostel is clean, safe, and well-run, and the owner is very nice. The free airport transfer is a great bonus as well. It is ideal for people staying in Johannesburg only overnight (which was my situation). However, if you are staying in Johannesburg for a longer period of time and want to see the city, I recommend staying somewhere else. This hostel is also rather quiet and not particularly lively, so it wasn't a fun place to meet new people like many other hostels.

Hostel Freedom Marrakech

Marrakech, Morocco

Wonderful hostel that was one of the absolute highlights of our stay in Marrakech. Charming decor, lovely rooftop terrace where we often slept rather than the dorm rooms, and excellent staff that greeted us with mint tea. We met many interesting people at the hostel -- a true treat. Main downside is that the hostel was down a tiny side street and difficult to find without paying a local guide. Overall a wonderful place and one of the best hostels that I have stayed in. Very highly recommended!

• 11th Aug 2014

Youth Hostel Anna

Santorini, Greece

Highly recommend - unbeatable value for the money in Santorini. It is a very basic hostel but I got a clean dorm room for 4 euro per night. Staff is friendly and the other people in the hostel are awesome as well. Don't be discouraged that it is in Perissa and not Fira - Fira is generally expensive, and the bus system will get you from Perissa to Fira for 2.2 euro one way. Overall a really great stay.

Tsikeli Hotel

Kalambaka, Greece

Would definitely recommend - it is a lovely little hostel, very close to the Meteora rocks. John is really friendly and a genuinely great guy.