Inka's Rest

Puno, Peru

We have stayed in many hostels during our trip to South America and this place definitely features in the bottom 5. When we booked we received an email telling us to watch out for ticket touts selling overpriced island tours, yet within 5 minutes of arriving at the hostel the manager was trying to sell us their own tour with their own inflated prices. This place has no atmosphere and was unfriendly. I definitely recommend staying somewhere else if you can.

• 19th Jul 2013

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

Piriwana was definitely one of the best hostels we stayed at in Peru. At times it felt more like a hotel than a hostel. There was constant hot water, the bathrooms were cleaned twice a day, the rooms were toasty warm and there was always something going on in the evenings. Staff were efficient, if not overly friendly, which I guess is understandable when there is such a high volume of people coming through. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was ever in the area.

• 4th Jul 2013

Having stayed at many hostels in our round the world trip, desert nights definitely comes in the bottom 5. The staff were completely uninterested in you, unless you were female and showed interest in them, the rooms were not particularly clean and there were no facilities to be seen. In addition there wasn't really a common area to sit and meet people, unless you wanted to sit in the restaurant at the front and pay money. There are definitely better places to stay in Huacachina!

• 29th Jun 2013

Divanga Bed & Breakfast

Taganga, Colombia

Divanga was easily our favourite hostel in Colombia, if not South America. The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly - try one of Jenny's killer cocktails, the food was great and whole place had a thoroughly awesome chilled vibe. We definitely felt like one of the 'family' while we were there and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend divanga to anyone visiting Colombia.

• 10th Jun 2013