Nomads Capital Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

This is a really nice hostel. It's so easy to feel at home here, a home with a fun bar next door! Getting breakfast and dinner included is great and the ensuite is a really nice touch. This was my 2nd stay and I'd be happy for a 3rd.

Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

I don't really understand how this Nomads is so bad, when the Wellington and Qtown ones are so good! This place feels really run down, and nothing is being done about it- the beds were old and near falling apart, the common room is a sticky mess, and the bathrooms were dirty most of the time (not to mention an entire big window missing) and why must the hallway windows be open ALL the time? It's winter!

Hi there, thanks for your review!Our hostel is a lot older than the other hostels but you will be please to hear that we will undergo renovations in our bathrooms & purchasing new matrasses.Our cleaning team services our common areas and bathrooms 4x/day which we will re-look as all areas are in use 24/7. To ensure fresh air throughout we need to have windows open - the reason they are locked half way is that no one falls out!We hope you enjoyed your free upgrade to an 8SH! Thanks Nomads AKL

HI-Vancouver Central

Vancouver, Canada

This is an ok hostel. It's clearly a bit run down, doesn't have proper kitchen facilities and is located right on Granville. This location is perfect if your mainly interested in nights out, but doing stuff during the day it is a bit of a trek to get anywhere. It's not a bad hostel though, and I'll stay again if Downtown is full

HI-Vancouver Downtown

Vancouver, Canada

Really, the only down side to this hostel is the wifi - if you will have need of it while you're staying you'll have to go to Starbucks down the road. It's fairly hit and miss, then it was out completely for 3 days while I was there. Everything else about this hostel is really good though

Surprise Backpackers

I feel like I can't really complain, as this hostel was one of the cheapest I could find and it was very well positioned near Victoria and the river. But be warned, it is fairly gross - I definitely wouldn't stay more than one night. And those triple bunks are a nightmare!

This seemed a pretty nice place, though I was there just 1 night. The only downside was being pretty heavily pressured by the cleaner woman to check out at 10:20 (check out, and my pick up, was 11). To the point where she was trying to strip the sheets off my bed while I was still packing, telling me repeatedly "when you check out you have to take those down too". Not the best final impression!

Apple Hostels of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, USA

Amazing things about this place- location, staff (all so helpful and lovely!), security, cleanliness, and they have control of the lights (off 11pm-10am). Not so great- the breakfast was a bit lacking and the rooms are huge, which make the price you're paying not feel like very good value. But the pros outweigh the cons easily so I would definitely go back!

HI - Washington DC

Washington DC, USA

Basically this was a really good hostel. The breakfast was comprehensive (the guy at breakfast was so welcoming), the tours offered were informative and fun (thanks to the intern from Gilbralta!!), the rooms were comfortable and all the facilities were well kept (kitchen, shower room, TV room, pool table). The location is fairly good to the main sites, but great for restaurants, cafés and takeaways. Would recommend to anyone!

HI - San Francisco - Downtown

San Francisco, USA

This was pretty much all round a good hostel. They had a lot of social events, nice breakfast, good location, secure, sinks in the bedrooms, big kitchen and large seating/TV areas. The floor I was on only had 2 toilets and 2 showers (others were being fixed) but didn't really turn out to be a problem and they were usually clean. Also, a slight warning, they put the prices up quite a lot if they are getting full!

Samesun Venice Beach

Los Angeles, USA

The position of this hostel is great and you can't really fault anything about the place itself. The directions (using Coast Shuttle) really should be updated as no one at the airport had heard of it an I ended having to pay more for another company. Also, the staff were friendly, but not the most helpful. When asked how to get to Hollywood, they basically just said it was really far away.. I had to step in and give the guy some actual info. Don't let that put you off though!

thanks for the feedback. We will look into the shuttle situation with LAX and see which ones they recommend, as there are numerous shuttle companies in LA. safe travels!

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

This was a brilliant hostel. I was a little worried that it would be purely about the novelty of staying in a converted prison, and the actual facilities would be lacking. But after 4 weeks hosteling around New Zealand, this was probably the best one! It was fun and oddly homely. The hot water bottles were a nice (and personal favourite) touch. The kitchen was well equipped and organised, and the cinema room great. It is a little away from the city, but hey, Tramping is what New Zealand does!

Green Kiwi Backpacker Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

This was a great hostel. The staff were welcoming and the atmosphere of the place was brilliant! There were ideas/maps/leaflets all over the place to help with my time in Singapore, and the coffee and breakfast is as good as everyone says. Would definitely recommend to anyone.