Emir

Samarkand, Uzbekistan

Excellent location. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Samarkand. Good breakfast included. Really nice room with good bathroom. When the water failed one morning, we were offered another bathroom to use straight away. The courtyard is beautiful and great for relaxing and meeting others if you wish.

Biy Ordo Guest House

Osh, Kyrgyzstan

Wonderful staff who were very happy to help. Lockers with keys provided. Dorm was clean. Shower was reasonable. Internet was very hit amd miss, but to be expected for the region. The hostel is also very well sign posted from the surrounding roads. Excellent! I would certainly recommend this hostel to anyone going to Osh.

Interhouse City Center

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Great shower. Clean dorms. We booked a private room but there wasn't one available when we arrived. It was a little offputting, but it all worked out in the end. The girls dorm is right next to the common area though, and so when people were talking well into the night it was hard to get to sleep. My friend was in the guys dorm which was fine noise wise.

Almaty Backpackers

Almaty, Kazakhstan

My first two nights I stayed in a female dorm. Comfortable bed and great atmosphere. They had just moved location, so were still putting the finishing touches on everything, but the staff (Deena!) made my stay so good. She's definitely the pearl in their oyster.

No locks on the dorm doors. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice atmosphere in the communal area. Clean toilets and showers, though they could do with some updating/maintenance. Good location.

No lock on the dorm door. Super friendly and very helpful staff. Superb location overlooking the main square. Great balcony/mezzanine communal area. Would absolutely recommend this hostel. Loved my stay here.

Really nice hostel. Would absolutely recommend. Friendly and helpful staff. No locks on the doors, but I felt safe. Great communal area. WiFi and other facilities including a washing machine.

Lanzhou Huar Youth Hostel

Lanzhou, China

This is the only hostel in Lanzhou so I had to stay here. The showers and toilets were vile. They were dirty. They smelled. The showers were in darkness and smelled awful. There was very little pressure too. The staff were friendly and helpful though. The rooms were clean enough with locks and lockers with keys were also provided. If it wasn't for the disgusting showers and toilets, I'd have given a much better rating overall.

Loved this hostel. Got a free upgrade from an 8 bed to a 4 bed dorm. Really lovely staff who were very helpful. The hostel is a little out of the way of a lot of the stuff to see and do, but it didn't affect my stay really. Would recommend anyone to stay here. They also have a good restaurant attached. Clean and spacious showers and toilets. Dorms come with key cards. I felt very safe here.

365 Inn

Beijing, China

Key cards for the dorms plus large and frankly amazing showers for a hostel meant I had a great stay here. Close to Tiananmen Square too, and the metro. The bar had a great atmosphere and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• 30th May 2014

Stayed in a twin room. Great en suite bathroom. Nice and clean. Key card meant excellent security. Super close to the metro and within walking distance of great restaurants too. The staff seemed swamped but were helpful enough. Lots of communal spaces. Cheap laundry facilities too.

• 24th May 2014

Lazy Gaga Hostel

Guangzhou, China

One of the best hostels I've ever had the pleasure to have stayed in. Wonderful staff and excellent location. Great facilities including double beds in the dorms. Nice, friendly crowd with a good communal space to meet people in.

It's very encouraging for my team to hear this very positive feedback from you. Thank you for being so kind and nice to us!

Yesinn @Fortress Hill

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

A nice hostel a little out of the way of central Hong Kong. Lots of transport options though. The staff were very helpful. Nice comfy beds with curtains for privacy. Good atmosphere but the communal room is on a different floor to the rooms. Excellent WiFi. Showers attached to the rooms which were really good. Hot water and excellent pressure. Universal sockets so no adapters needed.

• 11th May 2014

LG Guesthouse & Hostel

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

The staff at the hostel were very nice and helpful and collected and dropped us off at the airport and railway station. They arranged a trip to the Terelj National Park and offer other tours too. They happily stored our valuables in the safe in reception and they had lockers available too. The only complaint I have is that on the last morning the taxi was nearly half an hour late and then stopped three times to get petrol on the way to the airport!

• 20th Sep 2013

The staff were super friendly, spoke perfect English, really helpful and totally approachable. The atmosphere in the hostel was great and I met some cool people. I ate at the cafe attached to the hostel once and the food was delicious. The doors to the rooms have key cards and the room had lockers so I felt safe and secure as a lone female traveller.

Six Degrees

Jakarta, Indonesia

Our stay at the Six Degrees was good. Our room was lockable, and each bed had an individual locker too. We stayed in a four-bed pod dorm and I would recommend doing the same. Each bed also had universal adaptors (including USB ports), which in this day and age was super handy. The staff were helpful and friendly. There was a good communal space too, and about a bajillion films to choose from to watch on a large projector screen. (There's not much to do in Jakarta, so that was good!)

• 31st Jul 2013

The staff (husband and wife team?) at this hostel were amazingly kind, helpful and friendly. They called us a taxi for our onward journey the morning we left. They were super chill about check out time too. I stayed in the 8-bed dorm and my friends shared one of the twin rooms. Neither room had mosquito nets or a/c, so we got eaten alive, but apart from that our stay was lovely. We only did a night, but I would recommend this place if you bring moquito-repellent.

• 28th Jul 2013

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Sunshine Bedz is in a prime location and is super clean and has good facilities. The staff were welcoming, kind and very friendly and helpful. Bring a padlock if you want to secure your things as there are no locks on the doors of the dorms (though there are on the doors of the single private rooms) and no locks on the lockers provided.

• 27th Jul 2013