Yijiaqin Guesthouse

Zhangjiajie, China

This is a great little place near the train station. The owner is very knowledgable and can map routes out for you and will personally take you to the 12 kuai (2 USD) bus that will take you to the park. They were super accommodating and even gave me the employee room for a night so I wouldn't move to another hostel to save costs after my friend left (only 2 person private rooms). Overall, great stay and amazing staff.

I did like this hostel, especially the location and the common room. It was packed for the Ice Festival, but the staff were all helpful and knowledgable. The only thing left to be desired was the cleanliness. There is a giant mold infestation in all the rooms. I don't think it's dangerous to anyone's health but it sure didn't smell great. The hostel should probably take some bleach to that. Also, the bathrooms are all public squat toilets, toilet paper not included. Overall good, minus the mold.

• 8th Feb 2014

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Loved this hostel. Staff was super helpful- one person even helped us order food in online! They helped me plan a day trip to Melaka, and gave us important recommendations about sites in the city. The free breakfast and coffee was great and the hostel is beautiful. Great area for exploring Kuala Lumpur and right near the subway. A lot of things are within walking distance, just be aware that since it's Chinatown, if you visit during the Chinese New Year most of the restaurants will be closed.

Khoi Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

This place is impossible to find, but it is in a good location. I like that you have to take your shoes off inside! I stayed in the dorm room which was extremely basic, but you get what you pay for. There also weren't enough bathrooms for the amount of people, so sometimes I'd wander to different floors to use the bathroom or take a shower. Overall it's a "good" hostel and I enjoyed the breakfast!

Bodega Hostel Hanoi

Hanoi, Vietnam

I was actually upgraded from a dorm room to a single at the hostel across the street. The staff was extremely friendly and the breakfast was great. Only complaint (not that I can complain about an upgrade!) was that the hostel across the street had construction on the outside of the building which started at the crack of dawn. It felt like they were taking a jackhammer to the wall right above my bed. The room was freezing at night and I had a minor gecko problem but the staff was very helpful.

Green Forest Hostel

Guilin, China

I stayed in this hostel in both a double and a dorm. Paying extra for the double is DEFINITELY worth it- our bed was huge and extremely comfortable and our room had a large window overlooking the lake (albeit the single pane windows made the room a bit noisy). The double was pretty basic: clean but dark and dingy. The common room is great and so is the food; drinks are very decently priced and they have a cat! The staff was great and speaks perfect English. One of my favorite hostels ever.

Hi. Thank you so much for your great feedback . we are really worry about our service might not good enough as it was a busy holiday with a large number of guests . we are so happy that you have a lovely stay at our hostel and we are glad we were able to help to on your journey. welcome back anytime .

Showbiz Inn at West Street

Yangshuo, China

I stayed in the 6 person dorm and it was clean and spacious. The upstairs shower room is amazing (one of the best hostel showers ever) and laundry is free. The staff knows everything there is to know about anything to do in and around Yangshuo but sometimes they make excursions sound easier than they actually are (navigating by bike is confusing). Location is perfect in an alley off West Street. Great vibe, easy to make friends, and walking distance from the bus station.

The private rooms are extremely nice, you might as well be in a hotel. The dorms are a little less nice (no windows, a little cramped). The hostel was really helpful in booking me an extra night and I loved the cat :) The only complaint was that our room looked out over the river and one of the tea shops would BLAST music at the crack of dawn. Maybe the hostel could make a deal with the tea place to keep it down until a reasonable hour?

Ashoka Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Very clean but very cramped. I stayed in a four bedroom dorm and I'm pretty sure all 4 of us could not stand on the floor at one time. There is a common room, but it's insanely hot in the summer and smells like Indian food (I think the staff heats up their lunches in there), so it's always empty. Overall, location is great in Kowloon- right on Nathan street near the Avenue of Stars. I just hated getting harassed by the Indian men in the lobby and outside to buy watches, handbags etc

Lete Youth Hostel

Xining, China

I enjoyed staying at this hostel. The beds were nice and the common area had a good vibe, although the internet was spotty. I met some cool people traveling in the area, and I enjoyed the yogurt breakfast. The only thing I didn't like was the showers. They were pretty gross, cold and had zero water pressure. I stayed here in the summer and I was shivering through the entire shower. If they fixed up the internet and the showers this hostel would be awesome.