The Walrus Hostel

The water pressure in the showers wasn't very good, and the mattress was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. However the location was great, the breakfast was good and the staff were amazing, the combination of which more than made up for any other issues. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 28th Jan 2014

Generator Venice

Venice, Italy

The location wasn't particularly convenient, although catching the water bus everyday was cool. Bathrooms were clean and the beds comfortable, plus it was nice the have a personal light switch and power plug. The staff weren't friendly or particularly helpful, but they weren't horrible either.

• 24th Jan 2014

Academy Hostel

Florence, Italy

The location was super convenient, although the loud church bells every morning did lose their novelty. The non-bunk beds were a welcome change and the rooms were clean. Breakfast and food in the evening were a great bonus. The day time lock out seems a bit ridiculous and outdated, but wasn't too much of a hassle. Definitely worth staying at.

• 19th Jan 2014

Giovanni's Home

Naples, Italy

Giovanni was a fantastic host, I felt like I was a guest in his home, not just a paying hostel customer. He looked after me and was a wealth of information on the city. The location was really convenient, close to the metro and lots of places of interest. Although I did feel safe, my only complaint would be that the doors to the rooms don't have locks, and there are no lockers available.

• 9th Jan 2014

Urbany Hostel Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

Probably the worst hostel breakfast I've ever had. The variety was fine, but the quality was terrible. The location was pretty inconvenient for sightseeing, although the surrounding neighbourhood was nice. The beds were comfortable and the ensuite bathrooms were clean and quite nice. The kitchen was disgusting and not well equipped. I wouldn't recommend it for solo or long term travellers.

• 17th Dec 2013
  • Aruba

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our "all you can eat free breakfast",but I'm pleased to inform you that we are working to improve its quality.Very soon we will be offering a better quality of coffee and juices,and we will also add to the list some salami,ham and cheese.About the kitchen sometimes is hard to control it,because not everyone wash their dishes after cooking, but we┬┤ll pay more attention to it.I want to welcome you back to Urbany so you can see the the improvements.

La Posada de Huertas

Madrid, Spain

The location was great, the rooms were spacious and airy and the beds quite comfortable. The staff were helpful, but not very friendly to non-Spanish speakers. There wasn't really a nice common area to meet people. The kitchen was fairly unpleasant, the facilities in there usually dirty and only plastic plates, bowls and cutlery provided. The bathrooms were clean but the almost clear shower screens were a bit uncomfortable.

• 13th Dec 2013

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

The staff were lovely and very helpful, especially Valentina. The location was quite convenient, the city is reasonably small and everywhere was walkable. The bathrooms were clean and kitchen was fairly well equipped. The walking tour was also quite good, it covered the major sights and was interesting and informative. Only complaint would be the bedding. The mattress was thin and uncomfortable, and the duvet was old and worn, plus it wasn't big enough to cover my whole body (and I'm not tall).

• 10th Dec 2013

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

I think Home Hostel has ruined other hostels for me for life. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the beds were super comfortable, bathrooms were impeccably clean, the atmosphere was great, particularly in the living room, and Mama's dinner was fantastic - both for the food and opportunity to meet people. It was basically like staying in a hotel, or your own home. I would recommend to everyone, but especially long term solo travellers.

• 3rd Dec 2013

KEX Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

The beds were very comfortable and everything was clean, location was great and very convenient. While the decor of the place was very cool, it was sometimes at the cost of function - for example the vintage shower heads didn't make for a very good shower, and the whole place was quite dimly lit (my room had no lighting apart from small lamps on beds). Also wasn't fan of the communal showers. Overall a nice place though.

• 27th Nov 2013