Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 35

Me Mates Villa

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The staff here were excellent at helping me book day trips and finding my way around the city

Siam Journey Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

I thought everything at this hostel was great - the pool, the food at the cafe, the beds and lockers. The only suggestions I have for improvements are to better clean the floors in the dorm rooms and provide soap in the bathrooms. The tours could also be a bit better. Some of the people in my group weren't told the length of the tour and were unprepared to be out in the heat for 7 hours. They actually left early with our driver without telling us, leaving us stranded.

I stayed here twice. Once in the mixed dorm and once in the three person traditional room with mats on the floor. While I highly recommend the dorm because it offers all you need for comfort, I don't recommend the other option. Walls are made of paper and it's right next to the kitchen and other rooms so you never have quiet. Sleeping on the floor is not more comfortable than in a bunk bed with your own curtain and light and outlets.

Green Guest House

Kagoshima, Japan

Loved my stay here! Thanks so much.

Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya

Kumamoto Shi, Japan

This place is one of my favorite places to stay in Japan. We went on the staff led night tour and had a magical time- honestly, our guide left room in the tour for us to explore and be surprised by the serendipity of life. It was great.

Southern Laughter

Queenstown, New Zealand

This place was wonderful. I was staying here as a base before and after the Routeburn Track hike. It was perfect for this. Laundry facility and storage lockers while I was away on the hike. I met some really great people here and wish I could have stayed longer. I gave it a lower rating on security because there wasn't really any. We had locks for our doors but we often left it unlocked because we felt our things were safe. There are no lockers in the rooms. Wi-fi could be better. You get 1 hr

Koa Wood Hale

Kailua-Kona, USA

This hostel has a wonderful home-like feel to it, and with three kitchens it never feels over-crowded. The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. It feels like you are staying with old friends. Loved it!

This place has a nice courtyard where people hang in the hammocks and tables to eat at. The kitchen is pretty small and has bugs. My cereal didn't last a day in the cupboard before it was infested :( The rooms were spacious and had lockers.

The overall atmosphere of the hostel in naturally relaxed and security isn't really necessary. I was disappointed that my room of about 10 people was sharing one bathroom. Made for some frustrating moments in the morning as we all waited for people to finish their showers. Some sort of organized tours would also be very nice, as it's hard to get around the island without a car. Also laundry service would be nice.

Mahalo for your comments. We do not usually book more that 7 girls in the 10 bed dorm, just for that reason. We also have an extra bathroom downstairs. We have a total of 6 bathrooms on the property. I am sorry that your 1 night you spent with us you were not more well informed about the extra bathrooms. The island has a very good bus service for people willing to travel that way. Laundry is available just a block away at the 24 hour Kapaa Laundry. Hope your future travels are better for you:)

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

This is one of the best hostels I've stayed at. Loved the curtains, lighting fixtures, and shelves for each bunk. The common room was comfortable and a great place to meet people. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Arthy's Guesthouse

La Paz, Bolivia

While I didn't feel particularly safe anywhere outside in the city of LaPaz, this hostel was a safe, clean, friendly place to come home to. There is a very nice common room with hundreds of movies to choose from, food items for sale, a clean kitchen, very good security, and helpful staff who speak English as well as Spanish. I enjoyed my time at the hostel very much.

Pause

Caye Caulker, Belize

The owner is a very sweet woman who cares a lot about animals. There are a ton of cats and dogs on the property but they are mild tempered and not at all near the sleeping quarters. There is no kitchen to use and there is only cold water in the shower, but that seems common on the island. Some more attention could be paid to the condition of the room. There is a lot of water damage and some mold. But that is really the only complaint. I felt safe there and had a great time!

Firehouse Hostel

Austin, USA

Big Apple Hostel

Q4 Hotel

New York, USA

Very nice hostel, easy to get to anywhere from here as it is right by the subway. Really comfortable louge and kitchen area.

Q4 Hotel

New York, USA

This is a great new looking hostel with a modern vibe and a lot of room to hang out to meet people, clean rooms with showers and restrooms in the rooms, a great kitchen, and friendly staff. There is a grocery store within walking distance (I am a female traveling alone and feIt safe walking around). It is also really easy to get to the subway from there. I stayed a few nights at the Big Apple Hostel in Time Square and regretted it. I wish I'd stayed at Q4 my entire stay in New York.

Hostel Buffalo Niagara

Buffalo, USA

There was an incredible amount of noise. They are ripping up the street in front of the building and work on it at all hours and because the bathrooms are in the hall instead of in the rooms, doors slam throughout the night (there seems to be no way to shut them softly due the the locking mechanism). Also, I think my bed was glued together because it creaked like an old ship whenever I rolled over. People sleeping in rooms on the other side of the building had an easier time sleeping.

I immediately felt welcome and comfortable at Spenard. The staff was fun, informative, friendly, and curteous. My fellow travelers and I all remarked that this is one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in.

We think it's one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in, too, but as we live and work here, we're a little biased. ;)