Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 29

Shelter City

Amsterdam, Netherlands

It was very clean, medium size lockers were more than enough for me to throw in anything I might worry about. In the large girls dorm there are doors that were almost always open to the courtyard, which felt a little less secure than I liked. The free hot breakfasts are absolutely delicious. You can walk anywhere you need to go because it's situated so centrally. Great hostel, I would stay there again.

Sleep Well Youth Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

It's very clean, but looks like it is in desperate need of some new paint. The atmosphere is like a hotel, not a hostel, so if the hostel "feel" is important this isn't the place for you. Also there is a lockout from 11am-3pm which is really annoying bc you can't sleep in at all if you had a late night or are tired from traveling. During my 3 months backpacking I only encountered a lockout one other time, so I know they're not necessary. Most places just clean while you sleep. No big deal.

Hello, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately we can't clean the room and change your bed sheets while you are sleeping ... This is why a lock-out is necessary in order to allow the housekeeping staff to do is job properly and make you a clean and nice room ! Reagrds, The Sleep Well Team.

St Christopher's Camden

The staff didn't seem to communicate well (one of them switched my bed for me but never told anyone else, which led to two of us being assigned the same bed later and then we were reprimanded by housekeeping in the morning for the confusion). Cleaning consisted of quickly pushing a broom around and wiping the toilet seat. Our toilet got clogged and we were told we would have to wait until the next day bc only housekeeping had a plunger. The toilet bowl itself was very dirty and never cleaned.

Astor Hyde Park

The location was pretty great. You have a little walk to the underground but from there have direct access to three really central lines. The atmosphere was really down: everyone camped out in the living room sprawled across the couches on their laptops so that you didn't really feel welcome and couldn't sit to watch TV. People would even be sleeping down there. Most of them were the staff who lived there and they didn't really talk to the guests. Other than that it was average.

Hoax Hostel

Liverpool, England

This hostel will be very posh once they get the kinks worked out (bathroom door wouldn't lock bc the bolt was too new and wouldn't move, elevator sometimes refused to work, no pots or pans in kitchen etc). It was a nice place to stay in the meantime and the attached restaurant had really good food. Open mic night was great. Would've been nice if the staff had explained where things like the kitchen were when I checked in, but I eventually found it out by wandering around for a while.

Abi and Charlie definitely deserve all the praise they get for their hostel. It is very welcoming and comfortable, and almost every night there is free or almost free food (1 pound for pasta with salad and garlic bread? What?! A steal!) plus it acts a great way to get everyone together at the same time so you can meet people. I loved this hostel, it was great.

Light House Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

This was the most comfortable hostel I have ever been in: it felt more like staying at a friend's house! From the "no shoes" policy, to the friendly staff, normal bathrooms, sturdy beds, big lockers, strong wifi everywhere, lots of outlets, very nice kitchen (I've never seen water boil so quickly!), and quiet neighborhood. It was perfect. I'm seriously considering coming back toward the end of my trip to the UK. Love it! They really raised my standards for every other hostel!

Ashfield Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

I loved staying at Ashfield. It was clean, quiet in the bedrooms at night, and the staff was great, especially the man who worked in the evenings. Grocery store was just a few doors down, I walked to Grafton and Temple Bar every day, the whole area was just very walkable and packed with places to see or hang out. The kitchen closes at 9:30 pm which is a little inconvenient for someone like me who is used to eating very late, but you can't have everything and this place has everything else!

The Wild Fig Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

I enjoyed my stay at the Wild Fig: the rooms were very nice, and had air conditioning and nice sized lockers. There were plenty of bathrooms and a very big, very clean kitchen. Comfy couches and a reading library as well. I was disappointed to find that there is nowhere to securely store your bags after you check out: they just have you leave them out in the open in the living room. iIt didn't seem like anyone would mess with them, but I wasn't comfortable leaving my valuables like that.

We are glad you enjoyed your time at our home away from home. We do have space in our common area to leave large bags during the day (we generally have a lot) and they are very safe, as our reception can view the bags and the reception is open almost 24 hours. If you have valuables you would like us to keep for the day, whilst you are out and about you just have to ask at reception. We have a smaller secure room where we can lock these away for you - its not a problem!

Split Backpackers

Split, Croatia

This was a great hostel: staff was friendly and approachable, nice size kitchen ( but no stove), very large lockers, and walking distance to a bunch of different beaches. Loved my time here.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

I loved staying at this hostel. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the room layout was great, big lockers, breakfast was delicious and well worth the couple euro: you could even make lattes with their fancy coffee machine! It was a little hot due to the heat wave, but they had three fans in our 10 bed dorm so that helped a lot. Everything was very up to date and clean. The location can't be beat. I would definitely stay here again over other nearby hostels.

Youthhostel Schaan-Vaduz

Schaan, Liechtenstein

This hostel is fairly expensive, especially when you tack on the extra six euro you have to pay if you are not a member of the youth hostel organization (which unfortunately I did not read about until after it was too late). However, it is Liechtenstein and thus rather expensive to begin with. The staff did not seem to enjoy their job and seemed annoyed by my presence, let alone my asking questions (when I asked if they had a luggage storage room).

Shelter City

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I had no idea how well located this hostel was when I booked it. It is right in the heart of the red light district, which means you are close to everything all the time! It felt really safe and everyone working there and staying there were really great. Lockers are big. Bathrooms are cleaned multiple times a day! Free hot breakfast was delicious and a wonderful change from the usual hostel fare. I loved this place!

St Christopher's Berlin

Berlin, Germany

I had a great stay here. It was really quiet in my room so sleep was easy to come by, though I know they were still partying down the bar when I left. The entrance to the underground is literally right outside the door to the hostel, so you can be anywhere in just a few minutes. Fabulous!

Balmers Herberge

Interlaken, Switzerland

Had a great time in Interlaken and this hostel was part of the reason why. The outdoor communal spaces really encourage people to talk to each other and provide entertainment. The beds and showers were a little plain, but clean. You're kicked out of your room for a couple hours in the middle of the day for cleaning, which is annoying but I suppose makes sense. You also can't get into the kitchen after a certain time, so if you are a late eater like me, be prepared to curb your snacking!

Balmers Herberge

Interlaken, Switzerland

I loved staying here because the location was perfect, they had a lot of deals for us as far as busses, trains, excursions etc., and the atmosphere was perfect for making new friends. I stayed in three different dorms while I was there and the mattresses were all different qualities (the 8 bedroom mixed had the best one IMO), and the showers were a little tricky to work, but you got used to it. The bar downstairs was also a lot of fun! I would definitely go back!

City Backpacker - Hostel Biber

Zurich, Switzerland

Switzerland is expensive. With that in mind, this hostel is a good value. You do have four flights of narrow stairs just to reach reception, though. My room had a great cross breeze and was nice and quiet at night. During the day, however, the area is just bustling with activity, which is great! I heard a parade go by, saw street dancers right outside the door of the hostel, and heard lots of singing around dinner time. There is only wifi in the common area, so it gets very crowded.

Euro Youth Hostel

Munich, Germany

I thought this was a very nice hostel: plenty quiet when I was trying to sleep and very friendly staff. Also the bathrooms were nice and spacious and clean, the toilets are separate from the showers which is always a nice addition to the privacy.