Hostel Slotania

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Mohican haircut guy's volatile behaviour was unacceptable esp' dealing with the public. However, I might, later on, reconsider and recommend this hostel solely because Ivan is the complete opposite-he was light hearted but professional. He will go out of his way to assist guests-Full of energy and good humour-very professional. He was' father-like' to the young guests and respectful and good natured to more mature people. The male day receptionist was excellent but the female was hostile.

Hans Brinker Budget Hotel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Arrival: Cheeky young woman says 'you are too old for this hostel, it is only for under-30's '.I raise my 'OLD' eyebrows, she says 'this is stated on Hostelword'.I assert this is not true & show my printout. I explain that I had also been on the phone to Hostelworld(about Hans Brinker)and they had said nothing about this. She says I can go elsewhere or 'upgrade for a few euros more' to a 4 instead of 6 Dorm...Hmm? But-NO fleas, v-good breakfast & caterers/cleaners are decent and hardworking folk

Stayokay Amsterdam Zeeburg

Amsterdam, Netherlands

A group of teenagers were allowed to run around and - wait for it - play an extended game of soccer, from midnight until 05:00am outside the hostel. I was more concerned for local families trying to sleep rather than myself; but I got zero sleep. Stayokay is usually expensive (without justification) but on the night I stayed, I got a cheap bed (But surely a sleep is a basic expectation?). General staff and breakfast great, but night-time nonsense makes this hostel a looser.

Hotel Giovannina

Venice, Italy

The Italian guy at reception was absolutely brilliant:extremly knowledgable helpful,obliging, good fun and very sincere. He constantly went out of his way to help myself and the other guests. The night-shift guy could not be bothered helping anyone and mumbled ofensive remarks as one walked away from reception.But I recommend this place.Also, thankfuly it is one train stop away from the actual island of venice, as you need to get back to reality having spent the day on what is a fantasy island.

Located between the city-centre and train station (approx one and a half Km each direction)in an interesting, compact city, this hostel is well organised ,rooms are clean tidy and spacious. But one issue: A female (stranger) had to share a double bed with me (a male) in what we had both-independantly-booked as one single bed in a "three-bed mixed dorm". It was clearly a family room. It didnt bother either of us,but it is likely to bother some people and website description is clearly inaccurate.

H2ohostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

he woman at reception was one of the best I have come across-going beyond the call of duty in many ways.8 euro clothes wash & dry in 3 hours, internet perfect location.

Hostel Enjoy

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

I highly recommend this hostel for mature-minded people who respect other guests right to a nights sleep, and who are interested in learning about this intreaguing city. It is not a place for stag parties. The owners are a good decent considerate couple who went out of their way to help myself and the other guests, in any way they could, and I am very greatful to them both for that. I would definately stay in this hostel again.

Old Town Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

Positive: Location: Nice, relaxed, safe and interesting neighbourhood. Nice cafes and small tobacconists. Close to Sea port. Negatives: Small cramped.Very noisy on street and in hostel until approx 4am (on wednesday). Approx 4Km walk to Bus station early morning.I left valuables behind due to it being so cramped.

Haus International

Munich, Germany

Best things here are 1)Very handy for Olympic Park(highly rec'. 2)You can Hire a good quality bike from Uli at very reasonable rate.He will give you a really good deal, a free large cycling map of munic plus rec' and mark out places of interest to see. Uli is a great guy and should be running the hostel. The guy who booked me in was not so nice.

Hotel Europa Life

Frankfurt, Germany

Receptionist Mccarre (hope I got ur name right)was v friendly and obliging(thanks).

Cologne-Deutz Youth Hostel

Cologne, Germany

I have been hostelling for almost 40 years and this hostel was the worst hostel I have stayed in anywhere by far. It is due to poor management.The manageress was the most obnoxiously rude, sarcastic, dismissive and angry person you could meet anywhere. She follows the Basil Fawlty code of customer relations i.e the customer is always wrong.I overheard her shouting at one of her staff that she was being too plesent with people.Enough said.Avoid like the plague.

Hostel Slotania

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Many thanks to fantastic friendly and professional night porter for spending hours to find key of safe. Management should have a better system for the staff when keys are needed.

Greenpoint YMCA

New York, USA

Highly recommended.Excellent value.Pool open 6am-10pm.gym 24 hrs.Nice Polish people in the area.Hello and Thanks to the night staff esp polish guy and afro american guy. Only one gripe (outside):the diner (outside) where we are sent for breakfast frequently took the piss out of the YMCA which is not nice considering they maake money out of them. Also,note:they insist you pay a one dollar tip.

Manager is 100% nice guy who goes out of his way to help people (thank you).Laundry is very handy.Good big clean stockedkitchen. One strange problem:-I booked a "single"room but manager held onto key always. I had to ask him to let me in+out of room .

Astra Hotel (OLD)

Sliema, Malta

Positive:Wonderfull homely Hotel. Staff are absolutely brilliant, professional, hardworking, helpful and friendly, especially breakfast ladies and porters.Highly recommended. Negative:The "Time Out" bar should be avoided as annoying staff insisted I pay upfront before meal and prove I was a hotel guest-dispite my having eaten there the night before without any problems.