Hostal Martin

Madrid, Spain

Strangely, stayed in same building 10 yrs ago. This is new and revamped. Has none of the flair of an older building BUT if you need new, clean, well appointed this is for you. TVs in room, air conditioning that works, coffee maker in room. Place looked like a bit of a hive (hence "good" rather than "excellent" atmosphere rating). Reception in Hostel Cuervez (?) not in Hostal Martin.

• 1st Sep 2013

Hotel Real Santiago

Santiago de Compostela, Spain

The lady at reception was UBER competent, friendly and beyond helpful . If I lived in Santiago, I would snap her up and hire her for my place of business. The hotel was ideally located 300m from the cathedral and in the old city. Breakfast was simple but delicious and beautifully presented. Can't say I loved the stairs. Noisy at night (people in the streets). Easy to locate. Close to everything. Have recommended this hotel to friend who is travelling to Santiago later this year.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Porto Wine Hostel

Porto, Portugal

Excellent Hostel overlooking Park. Beside University. Tram pulls up right beside. If you are going to/Coming from Santiago de Compostella, the bus is right across the street. They make an excellent cocktail. Apparently free bfst is not for everyone (was for us) but was excellent. Amazing restaurant out front. Great staff--very helpful. Clean rooms. Nice old building (in good repair). Staff respond to problems (we had a leaky sink and they took care of it right away). Playstation in common room.

• 21st Aug 2013

Lost Inn Lisbon

Lisbon, Portugal

Don't let the building's exterior fool you, Lost Inn Lisbon is very well appointed&super clean. The staff are very helpful. One evening staffer assisted my room mate contact her credit card and banking companies after 11pm after she found out that her wallet had been stolen during a visit to Sintra that day. The breakfasts were more than ample--after we had shown up a day early (and they had a room for us) they offered us breakfast even though we were tech. not eligible. Neighbourhood noisy@nite

• 19th Aug 2013