The Bulldog

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hotel+Coffeeshop+Bar. I didn't really know what I was getting into when I booked here. Very cool atmosphere. The place has a great history, and runs very efficiently. I visited in August, so prime party season. Nice, but underutilized bar in the hotel, where smoking "marihuana" is permitted. Coffeeshop next door is loud but fun.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

This place is the best. Equally impressive as a hostel and a café/bar. Staff are warm and helpful. Free dinner is a great way to settle in and meet other guests. Rooms are clean. Cheap beer. Take the free tour!

Anker Apartment

Oslo, Norway

Anker is modern and clean looking, but felt dreadfully mismanaged. In my 30-mixed, security brought new guests in multiple times each night, even though all beds had been filled. Staff were rude and inattentive both to myself and to other guests. When it came time to check out, they had no record of me staying there, but had had no problem charging my bank account.

Castanea Old Town Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Friendliest staff and exceptionally warm atmosphere. Small, but cozy facilities, doesn't feel crowded.