I really enjoyed my stay at bear on the lake - Boris was managing the hostel during my stay and he is an exceptional host. Be aware (if you don't have a car) that the hostel is 6km walk from the bus stop in Whycocomagh and from the nearest grocery store, but hitchhiking was always possible, or else someone at the hostel might offer you a lift. The only suggestion for improvement I would make would be to include a basic breakfast. I will definitely stay here again!

I know there are few choices of hostels in Quebec and this one is fine - but know that it is more of a cheap hotel than a hostel. Very large building with old furnishing, the bathrooms and kitchen area feel a bit like boarding school. In the rooms there is no air conditioning, power points only on bottom bunks, and the bunks are narrow and short (if you are above 5"10 ask for a bottom bunk). Fine for a school trip and probably ok if you're traveling in a group, but not great for solo travellers.

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

Free breakfast was croissants, waffles, eggs, toast, muffins and OJ - great for a free breakfast but some kind of fruit would be a most welcome addition. Hostel was clean and safe with lovely staff and friendly workaway staff. Unfortunately the hostel charged me for an extra night and when I didn't notice while paying (my fault) I noticed the next morning and pointed it out but once it was paid, no refund available apparently. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay!

Planet Traveler

Toronto, Canada

Without a doubt the best hostel I have ever stayed in! Friendliest staff, great atmosphere especially for solo travellers. The rooftop terrace of the hostel has a gorgeous view of the city, hostel location is really central right next to Kensington Market, and it has breakfast from 7am - 1pm (bagels, cereals, bananas, tea and coffee). The kitchen is extremely well equipped and offers free rice and popcorn whenever you want. If you go to Toronto without staying in this hostel you're missing out!

Hostel Malti

St. Julians, Malta

Chris and Aaron were so helpful, I loved their adorable dog at reception. Location is great, easy to get to all attractions and Chris and Aaron will be able to advise you really well on what to do. We stayed in the apartment next to the main hostel where it was a bit quieter. Definitely would recommend this hostel :]

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

Stayed here for two nights, pub crawl on one and BBQ on the other - great atmosphere and gorgeous room with a little kitchenette. Only thing I would change is that there were these small lights in the room no one could figure out how to turn off. Super close to the bus station and great location in the old town. Will definitely be staying again!

Our welcome to this hostel was not great - no offer of a map, no conversation at all and no keys given. When we asked for recommendations of local activities we weren't given any. However when we arrived back later on there was one very helpful staff member and they organised a komani lake tour for us. Good breakfast and relaxed atmosphere, would stay again.

Tirana Backpacker Hostel

Tirana, Albania

We were only passing through Tirana so stayed in this hostel for one night. Staff were very helpful and there was a really nice breakfast. Great chill out area in the garden with a bar (wear insect repellent..). I would stay here again :)

Ohrid, Macedonia

Great atmosphere in sunny lake - easy to meet new people. Helpful staff (and volunteers!). If you're not in a social mood, don't stay here. Showers were a bit odd, needed to fiddle a lot with the shower to get hot water. Good breakfast of you're up early enough, and a great balcony to eat it on. Loved the hostel and the city - wish we could have stayed longer!

• 3rd Aug 2014

Skopje, Macedonia

Good location near bus stop and short (enjoyable) walk to the centre. Amazing staff at this hostel, chilled atmosphere, would stay again. Maybe have some fruit with the provided breakfast if possible?

A&T Holiday Hostel Wien

Vienna, Austria

Wifi doesn't work in the rooms so the hostel should really update their bio to include that. Or else fix the wifi! Location is great for public transport but not good for atmosphere (residential) or for eating out (better off staying in the centre). Towels not available for hire, only available to buy. Lockers require €10 deposit and bang loudly when you open them (waking up dorm mates) but if you push in the side with the hinge while opening them then it's fine! Very clean, lovely staff :)

Silver Central Hostel

Split, Croatia

Second time we stayed at this hostel because the location is ideal. You're given sheets at check in to make your bed which means you get a nice view of all the various stains on the mattresses and pillows - there was also a thick layer of dust on my bed frame...

Silver Central Hostel

Split, Croatia

No locks on the dorm doors but someone is on reception most of the day - lockers in the rooms are tall and skinny so a rucksack won't fit but you can put some valuables in. Facilities in the common room fairly poor, dishes provided but you have to wash them in the bathroom (without scrubbing brushes). No ladders on the bunk beds - slightly awkward when you don't know the person below you and have to spring on to the top bunk from their bed possibly while they're sleeping!

Dubrovnik Backpackers Club

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Sweet family-run hostel really close to the bus stop which only takes 10mins into old town and close to some nice beaches too. Breakfast is cheap (20 kuna) and made by Milka every morning, who is the most fantastic person you will ever meet. It's also a great chance to meet some other people staying in the hostel. If you're really lucky you'll get treated to some philosophical musings from Milka's 'yes man' son Nikolas. Wonderful hostel, couldn't recommend it more :D