YHA Wanaka Purple Cow

Wanaka, New Zealand

Great location, some of the dorms were little separate chalets which gave it a cosy feel. Overall a good hostel.

• 9th Feb 2014

YHA Franz Josef

Franz Josef, New Zealand

Good YHA - comfortable dorms. The kitchen was quite overcrowded at times though.

• 7th Feb 2014

Laughing Kiwi Backpackers

Motueka, New Zealand

The facilities here are some of the best I've seen in a hostel - great sofa area and two separate dorm buildings with separate facilities so it never feels crowded and free wifi that works well. Only negative was after checkout - the owner was a bit funny about looking after my bag until my bus arrived at 2pm - when I suggested I could just leave it in the communal area, he said I'd have to pay a $5 day rate which I have never come across before. Shame - because otherwise perfect hostel

• 4th Feb 2014

The Dwellington

Wellington, New Zealand

I was very disappointed because I compromised on location and paid more. Most important - reception was closed the entire time I was there. There was a sign saying ring the bell, but no one came - on my arrival another guest went and found the owner as I had no idea who she was. On the day I left a key card for a new guest had been left on the front desk - awful for security. Free wifi was appalling - I know it's free but don't advertise it! The social areas were noisy until very late.

• 31st Jan 2014

Rotorua Central Backpackers

Rotorua, New Zealand

Old fashioned building so could be a little dark, but it was great not to sleep in a bunk. The paid wifi is by the 100mb rather than a time period which I found a little frustrating and there wasn't a plug each in the room I was in, but otherwise a very good hostel.

• 30th Jan 2014

Kiwipaka Waitomo

Waitomo, New Zealand

I stayed in a double rather than a dorm and was given a discount as a single traveller, which was a welcome surprise. The front desk also organised my transfers to the caves which I wasn't expecting. The bathrooms could have been a bit cleaner and the paid wifi cut out as soon as the masses arrived on the kiwi experience bus, but I was given a refund.

• 28th Jan 2014

K Road City Travellers

Auckland, New Zealand

As a single female traveller, I'm not sure I'd choose the k road area to stay in again - it's a fairly dodgy bit of town - the business that shares the building with the hostel is evidence of this! The facilities were ok and the free wifi worked quite well.

• 26th Jan 2014

Brisbane City YHA

Brisbane, Australia

This is a large hostel with good facilities (pool on the roof, outside eating area, nice small bar next door), but it is a loud place to stay because the doors are very heavy and make a loud noise everytime they are opened and closed and because they jet clean the bathrooms right outside the bedrooms every day from 7.30am. This is not only very loud, but also right when you want to use them - surely this could be changed!

• 23rd Jan 2014

Noosa Flashpackers

Noosa, Australia

Great hostel - has a pool, really friendly staff, free regular dropoffs/pick up at the bus stop, beach or shops, big kitchen and is kept very clean. Only small point I'd make is that although there was a lot of focus on security (keys to corridors, rooms and lockers), this was a bit ruined by the glass doors on the ground floor rooms that were used by everyone in my room as a quick entrance/exit and left unlocked as a result

• 22nd Jan 2014

The Friendly Hostel

Hervey Bay, Australia

The owner wasn't very friendly to me - the free pick up from the greyhound was appreciated but it felt very awkward as he didn't say a word to me for the whole journey. Free wifi was good, but the rooms were quite dingy and old fashioned. Also beware - unless you book a deluxe room, there isn't any air conditioning - I didn't think this was very clear on hostelworld. Also lacked lockers.

• 20th Jan 2014

Backpackers by the Bay

Airlie Beach, Australia

Very friendly staff and the free pick up / drop off from the greyhound was really appreciated. Laid back feel - small bar open on an evening with a trivia quiz, good for meeting people. Only drawback was lack of lockers, but I'd have stayed longer if I could

• 18th Jan 2014

Civic Guest House Backpackers Hostel

Townsville, Australia

The free pick up from the greyhound stop was appreciated. The room was quite small and the bathroom extremely small with no lock - a bit of a problem with 4 strangers sharing. Also lacked lockers. The communal areas weren't massively comfortable - the one covered by wifi felt like a waiting room - I felt this had an impact on the atmosphere which was very flat.

• 16th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

This guest had specifically requested to be moved to this room as she was not comfortable sharing with boys. The other guests sharing this room call it their "super room" as it comes with A/C, private bathroom, and free wifi inside the room. We are very sorry that this guest had to run down the hostel to compensate for her own personal issues.

Absolute Backpackers

Mission Beach, Australia

I really liked this hostel - everything had been thought out - nice pool, good big kitchen area, pick-up's (on foot) from the bus stn so you didn't get lost. Only improvements would be lockers and more power points in the rooms - otherwise great.

• 15th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hi Melissa, Thank you for your feedback. We actually have a dedicated locker room close to your room and which was revealed on check in. There are 4 power circuits in your 6 share room and will look at putting more in for future reference. Safe Travels.

The Northern Greenhouse

Cairns, Australia

A big hostel so it didn't have much atmosphere, but the common areas are good with free wifi. I would have preferred more common area toilets and possibly bathrooms - with 6 people sharing an ensuite, there was quite often a long wait. The lady running the trip info/bookings was really helpful and not pushy at all. The cleanliness score is low because the kitchen was often unhygienic looking - too many people using the facilities.

• 12th Jan 2014

The Nunnery

Melbourne, Australia

Great location if you want to visit Fitzroy. Downsides were the lack of air conditioning and the fact that there were quite a lot of long term residents - the room I was staying in was full of unpacked stuff and it was made very clear that one of the long termers had to move rooms to accommodate me which wasn't great. As a result, despite the fact that the hostel had really good common areas, it felt a bit unfriendly to a newcomer.

• 11th Jan 2014

Irish Murphys Geelong

Geelong, Australia

There wasn't much budget choice in Geelong so this hostel is overpriced as a result. We were in an internal room with no natural light and it was very stuffy. The bathrooms and toilets were very dusty and didn't look very clean. The corridor lights to the bathroom were broken so it was pitch black at night - I can see a review from Nov says the same. The landlady told us the previous renters had kept the keys which made us feel unsafe. If I'd been on my own, I'd have cut short my stay.

• 5th Jan 2014

Miami Hotel Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia

We were upgraded to an ensuite which was lovely. A good walk or tram into the city, but has a strip of lovely bars and restaurants very close by and an easy walk to Queen Victoria market. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Nuovo Albergo Centro

Trieste, Italy

Basic but good cheaply priced hotel. The directions need updating though - there is no way you could get there from what they've posted on hostel world alone.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Jazz Hostel & Apartments

Bled, Slovenia

I loved this hostel - everything a traveller needs had been taken into consideration - I will definitely come back.

• 22nd Sep 2013

Zeppelin Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Apart from the reception staff who were friendly and helpful, I would not recommend. This hostel is tired - my locker was broken so had to lock with my own padlock using a weak latch - there was no alternative. All the reviews stating that the beds are uncomfortable are correct - the presumably old mattresses have buckled and are therefore lumpy. Bathrooms never appeared to be clean and the rooms facing the road are very noisy.

• 20th Sep 2013

Travellers Home Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Great location near to the old town. Only improvement would be making the common area more social - its also the reception area and I always felt a bit in the way when I sat in there - other than that, theres a kitchen but it felt quite formal to sit in there.

• 17th Sep 2013

Hostel Majdas

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

This is more like a guesthouse than a hostel - you do feel like you're staying in someone's home. There's lots of positives to that - you'll definitely meet and get to know fellow travellers as the common areas are designed that way and the soup evening / breakfast means everyone gathers together. However, at times I felt it was a little intrusive - being asked where I was going, at what time, people being woken up for breakfast. Overall a good hostel but very different to what I'm used to.

• 16th Sep 2013

Villa Divine

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Hostel was nicely presented and has a lovely view of the sea and cruise ships. Lockers are small and in the common area. I understood it was located well outside the old town and was fine with that, but was a bit misled about it being a 35min walk into town - I was walking fast and it took me 50min - should have stuck to the bus!

• 14th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your comments the lockes are suitable for persona belongings, as well as laptops and small backpacks.The lockers are int the corridor next to the rooms visible to all guests which is an extra benefit for security. Our hostel is situatead in the center of the residental and beach area which is 10 minutes by bus to the old town. It is a 35 minute walk, but you obviously took a longer route and nt the one suggested by our staff. Wish you all the best for the rest of your holidays.

Apinelo Hostel

Split, Croatia

This is a small hostel with a kitchen but with no real common area and only one female and one male shower and toilet which made it feel quite cramped. It also meant it was quite noisy in the mornings and I didn't feel the staff made much effort to keep quiet. Big lockers and air con were good though.

• 5th Sep 2013

The Drunken Monkey Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

Good communal areas in the bar and outside space, but it is a bit of a party hostel so keep in mind if you're looking for something quieter. Good that the room I was in had air con, but they kept the remote until nighttime and forgot to give it to us on the second night, so I had one very stuffy night. Showers didn't drain which could be a bit unpleasant for the next user.

• 3rd Sep 2013

Anadin Female Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

This hostel is a small converted apartment which I liked because it had quite a homely feel. I chose this hostel because I was meeting up with a friend who was staying nearby, but the location was quite far out from the centre. It is on a metro line, but you'll need to travel everyday. It's a small hostel and unmanned so if you're looking to meet people, you might find that restrictive.

• 30th Aug 2013

Patio Hostel

Bratislava, Slovakia

Was due to stay 2 nights - cancelled and moved after 1 night. There was very loud noise from the common areas between 2 and 5am - when I asked if something could be done at 3am, the guy on reception said he couldn't help. The facilities are worn out and the wifi was the worst I've encountered in a hostel - non existent in the rooms and dropping out constantly everywhere else. There were mixed showers only divided by a curtain which I wasn't prepared to use. Go to the Blues Hostel across the road

• 28th Aug 2013

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

Good hostel - very prepared, with everything you need. Big lockers, individual lights and sockets. I was in the separate building across the street which made me feel a little outside of the common room and bar atmosphere but I guess it was quieter. Had an issue with the wifi in the room, but worked elsewhere.

• 26th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

This is a big hostel which means that although it has most of the facilities you need, it feels very impersonal. This isn't helped by the reception staff who are unfriendly, bordering on rude. They would answer questions when asked, but never volunteer info, never smiled and always made you feel like you were interrupting them - a shame, could be a good hostel.

• 24th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

hi there. thanks for the feedback. we'll have a look who worked by then and include this into our next team-meeting. save travells :)

Ahoy! Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

The people who worked at Ahoy we're extremely helpful and friendly which was great. The bathrooms are great - some of the biggest I've seen in a hostel, but did sometimes have to wait for toilets. Big lockers and good beds. Only possible improvement would be sockets nearer the beds - felt a bit uncomfortable with my phone charging so far away.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Hostel Mondpalast

Dresden, Germany

The location is great - right in the middle of the good bars / restaurants and the room was a good size. The downsides were the wifi - you constantly have log in, sockets - far away from certain beds and the bar where reception is - its separate to the hostel but you end up spending time there as its convenient. The barman was consistently rude - treated everyone I met staying at the hostel like a complete inconvenience even though we were trying to buy drinks. Made me feel unwelcome.

• 19th Aug 2013

Pfefferbett Hostel

Berlin, Germany

Great location - so close to the S bahn and so much going on in Mitte. The facilities were really good - very professional set up. Good bar with lovely garden area and quality good value menu. Only niggle was the wifi - not great outside the main reception/area and with the loud music playing, I couldn't really Skype or FaceTime anywhere.

• 15th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

When you first arrive this hostel is very impressive - the reception and corridors look like a hotel. But the hostel rooms are at the end of the corridor in a separate building - the nice decor stops and it looks quite dodgy - the all female room I was in felt a very long way from reception. The ensuite bathroom didn't have a lock on it and the plugs next to my bed didn't work. The staff were helpful but not massively friendly and as the reception is in the common room, I felt a bit awkward.

• 14th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dear Melissa, thank you for your comment. The back staircase in on our list "to do", so sooner thal later it will look better. On our 3rd floor there are only hostel rooms. If you would like to visit us again, we will offer you a room on that floor, where the atmosphere is really "hostel like". Please remember that you are always very much welcome at Blooms and we will do our best to make your stay more enjoyable. All the best and hope to see you soon, Agnieszka Lange

Friends Hostel & Apartments

Wroclaw, Poland

The room was quite small and right next to reception which I found a bit odd to start with - you had to walk past the person on reception every time you went to the toilet / shower - but overall it was reasonable for the price. The lockers are drawers under the bed and I was worried that they could be easily broken into as they had quite flimsy lock latches. Wifi good and the guy on reception was very helpful.

• 13th Aug 2013