Padilla Guest House

Barcelona, Spain

I loved this little gem of a guesthouse only 5 minutes walking from the subway and Sagrada Familiar. It was cozy, super clean and I had the place to myself for most of the time I stayed. I enjoyed the location - convenient but not in the throngs of tourists near Las Ramblas - instead I used the subway system to get around if I wanted to go there. My single room was small but extremely clean and comfortable, excellent kitchen with food provided! Would definitely recommend.

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

Mostly pros - great staff, they help arrange tours and transfers, free cocktail party, fantastic old building that still retains much of its character while serving as a hostel too. Location in the old town is amazing. AC is good and having a light duty kitchen next ti my room was a unexpected bonus. Cons -- need more bathrooms but wasn't a deal breaker for a stay of 2 nights. Not sure how they would ever fix this given the age and structure of the building anyway.

Earthers Hostel

Hvar, Croatia

Great vibe - easy to meet other travelers to do stuff with. Very good staff - professional chef does a barbecue some evenings and crepes for breakfast - both are wonderful. Yoga in the morning, free pickup from bus station, fantastic location with views of the old city and water below. Cons - bathrooms are not cleaned often enough through the day, my dorm room was pretty tight for 6 beds, although there was a place (unsecured) to put your stuff just outside to create more space in the room.

Split Backpackers

Split, Croatia

Great location - 5 minute walk from bus station and 3 minutes to everything on the waterfront and main sttractions of town. Staff was great -- efficient, knowledgable and very nice. Facilities are good -- they could use another toilet for the girls, but easnt a del breaker. Walls are thin so bring earplugs. Overall would definitely stay there again!