Duo Housing DC

Washington DC, USA

Good location - just a 15 minute walk to the National Map and all the museums - and really friendly and helpful front desk staff. Plus, lovely pancakes cooked for you every morning and a free barbecue on Sundays. Pretty good atmosphere, especially for the barbecue, which was rammed. Would definitely go for the bigger dorms, as the smaller ones seem disproportionately expensive.

Basically ok. Short ride in to town on the cable car (or a 30-45 min walk), but everything else pretty basic. Only one staff member I met was particularly friendly, the wifi didn't reach my room, and there didn't seem to be any atmosphere to speak of (no band nights or open mic as far as I could tell!).

Amsterdam Hostel

San Francisco, USA

Good location, but the staff seemed to be constantly getting told off by someone for messing something up. No real atmosphere to speak of (certainly not a full as friendly people who wants to hang out as I'd have hoped), but that may just be the case with hostels in the USA generally. TV room/computers available (although one of the computers wasn't working) . Plus they shut the kitchen at 10pm, so remember to eat before then and take any of your food or with you if you need it in the night!

Ah Shan Hostel Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Very average hostel really, Not great, not awful. Good location, and I met a cool guy in my room, but no real communal area or facilities.

Nhi Trung Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Nice enough place with a good location, but... - we had a dripping boiler in the bathroom, meaning a dangerously slippy floor and lots of flies in our room. We informed them on the first day and it hadn't been looked at by the fourth. - there were lots of little ants in the breakfast area. - the WiFi was pretty poor. - the staff made us pack all our stuff up for no reason when we asked to extend our booking.

Little Hanoi Diamond

Hanoi, Vietnam

Stayed twice. First time, the staff were lovely, and it's a really nice hotel (not really the atmosphere for a hostel). The Ha Long Bay tour they booked us on didn't seem to know we'd paid for deluxe rooms, so watch for that. Second time, the staff weren't quite so awesome, and there also seems to be inconsistencies about whether they provide a free transfer from th do airport (they did once out of two stays).

Central Backpackers Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

All round good place to stay in Luang Prabang as a backpacker, with a sociable foyer area useful if you're travelling alone. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. Negatives were a very hard mattress and apparently no separate light switch for the bathroom, which meant brushing teeth in the dark or disturbing everyone when I came in late. Positives were a lovely hot shower, clean and with friendly staff and big lockers under the bunks. Also, breakfast is included, which makes it better value for money.

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Great hostel with pretty much all the hostel amenities you want. Not quite as sociable as the Seam Reap Monkey, but still a great place to meet people, especially if you're traveling alone. It's 30 mins or so to walk top the main tourist stuff in town, or a shorter tuk tuk ride... Staff are friendly and helpful. You could definitely find cheaper, but Mad Monkey is still good value.

The Mad Monkey Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Great atmosphere, five minutes walk from everything. Rooms are great value, but everything else can be found slightly cheaper in the town. Staff are very friendly, and it's a really great place to meet people, especially if you are travelling alone.

Lub d Bangkok Silom

Bangkok, Thailand

Lub D really is as good as people say. Awesome atmosphere, so easy to meet people, reliable WiFi, clean, secure, great start who are helpful and able to over advice. It's not the cheapest hostel in Bangkok, but it is awesome value and you won't regret staying here...