Old Town Lagos Hostel

Lagos, Portugal

This was one of my favourite ever hostels. Nicky and Hugo were perfect staff and made sure everybody was having the best possible time they could. The beds were comfy, the location was unbeatable, and the atmosphere was great. There was always an opportunity to go out at night, but never any pressure. If Hugo ever offers to help you out with a meal, don't turn it down. He taught me how to cook a perfect slab of tofu. Do yourself a favour and stay at Old Town Lagos Hostel.

• 4th Oct 2013

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

The Garden Backpacker was great. The staff were really helpful and enthusiastic when telling us about the sights and culture of Sevilla. There´s a great communal outdoor area and they serve free sangria for an hour every night. It´s close to a lot of things, like the mushrooms. Definitely worth a stay.

• 30th Sep 2013

We only stayed one night as we were passing through from Essaouira to Sevilla, but this was a nice little hostel. There are many levels, the top of which is a terrace overlooking the port. Free breakfast and coffee/Moroccan tea was great and the staff were very helpful. Once we were there we wanted to book a second night because it was a nice chilled place, but unfortunately it was booked out. The beds and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. Very modern feel for a Medina hostel.

• 29th Sep 2013

Riad El Pacha

Essaouira, Morocco

This place was nice enough, but it was very empty and the staff kept to themselves a lot. There was regularly no toilet paper one one or two of the floors, but when we asked the staff they gave us some straight away. Beds were comfy. The breakfast was very basic for €1.5 (as a Moroccan price). The kitchen was untidy, but the facilities were okay. The location was perfect, and for the price, I didn`t really feel ripped off.

• 26th Sep 2013

Funky Fes

Fez, Morocco

The staff spent the entire time trying to get money from us, refusing to give us change unless we bought something, telling us that we should only book guides through them, etc. The kitchen had one pan, no forks, knives, spoons, plates, bowls, glasses, or pots. The worst thing was that we did book a tour through Funky Fes, and I woke up that morning with bad food poisoning. When I told them I couldn`t go, they said I couldn`t get our €300 even though they hadn`t given money to the guide yet.

• 16th Sep 2013

Hostel Emily

Split, Croatia

Hostel Emily was a really sweet and chilled alternative to all the big hostels. It`s an apartment with several rooms, and it feels very homely. Emily and her daughters are very polite and helpful, and seemed to enjoy having guests. The double room was affordable and comfortable. Quite close to the center.

• 23rd Aug 2013