Hotel Tivoli Suites

Guatemala City, Guatemala

Staff excellent. A breakfast of juice, eggs, fresh bread and coffee served in the room. Pick ups / drop offs free and efficient. Sadly, the rooms don't match the service. They're clean, but cramped, old, shabby and dark. Fast food outlets are a short walk away, smaller eating places in the other direction, otherwise very little to see or do in the area, which is mostly commercial/industrial. Hotel is directly under the flight path at the end of the runway, so planes skim the roof!

Kin Balam CabaƱas

Palenque, Mexico

Very basic, cheap accommodation, quite rustic! No wifi, no towels. Cabins set in pretty gardens with streams, but paths were very slippery in the rain and lighting was poor - I slipped and fell into deep sticky mud getting to our cabin. No coffee or breakfast though there is a restaurant about a 10 minute walk away. Cabins are 4.5 km out of town at the entrance to the Park and the ruins. Transport was fine, there are lots of 'collectives' passing every few minutes. Staff very helpful.

Che Bed & Breakfast

Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Very happy with our stay at Che. Very close to the town, yet quiet and with a beautiful, almost private, beach just a 2 minute walk away. Playa del Carmen is very touristy, but Che was an oasis of quiet away from the mayhem. We had a late overnight bus to catch and not only did Florencia keep our cases, she also arranged for us to have clean towels and a shower before we left! Highly recommended.

Great location in Cusco! Lacked a comfortable lounge, there was just a sort of courtyard with not-too comfortable seating. Breakfast was good and staff very helpful. Some girls were having an open-air late night cat-fight one night in the courtyard and staff didn't do anything (if they were there) so we had to go out and yell at them to be quiet after about an hour of crying and screaming. I'd stay there again though ... it was a nice place despite that incident.

Piedra del Mar Hotel Boutique

Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

Not too clean generally, poor quality linen and furnishings and very steep stairs. The building wasn't quite finished either. Noisy - in the centre of town. Pool didn't look inviting - quite dirty. The first room we were given had a tap that wouldn't stop running so we had to change rooms. We moved to another hotel just outside town which offered so much more for the same price and was much more comfortable.

Hostel Mamallena

Boquete, Panama

Loved my stay here! The staff were welcoming and friendly, the atmosphere was good and the hostel was very clean. Kitchen - spotless, scrubbed every day and well equipped. Pancakes for breakfast were very welcome! A comfortable lounge, plus 3 other areas to chill out, read, socialise or just 'be'. This hostel is centrally placed for everything in Boquete. I would stay there again, definitely!

Kaya's Place

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

No kitchen. Bar expensive. No common lounge area. No hostel vibe. Unfriendly. This hostel is well past its sell-by date, needs a serious upgrade in terms of facilities and a whole new energy. My 'private en-suite luxury room" was appalling. An upstairs bunk - light switch by the door - I had to climb a vertical ladder in the dark to get into bed. A 'suicide shower" that produced a trickle of cold water. Dark room. Broken flush handle. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Arenal Hostel Resort

La Fortuna, Costa Rica

I booked 2 nights, stayed 4 and felt homesick when I left. Jessie and his staff really go out of their way to make this a homely and fun place to stay. Clean, comfortable and friendly. Jessie's excursion suggestions were exactly right, and they were all good value for money. Kitchen facilities were excellent, but the menu was also good so I never felt like cooking! Hammocks, pool, bar (with games!) and friendship! I'll be back ... :) :)

Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Ronnie and Yocelyn were great, they even met me off the bus when I arrived from San Jose! We all went to a Halloween party at the local pub, and I came home before the others so Ronnie even came up to check I got back safely. Loved staying there! Room was large and comfortable, bathroom was great and everything was really clean. I'll definitely stay there if I'm in Monteverde again. I did a couple of good trips which they arranged as well as my transport to La Fortuna.

Hostel Shakti

San Jose, Costa Rica

Friendly staff and very obliging - brought me extra towels and a hairdryer. However, communal lounge and kitchen are open plan in the middle of the bedrooms, so it's very noisy with people watching movies until late at night and talking loudly. Good facilities, and nice restaurant downstairs - breakfast was included and delicious! Linen could be upgraded. Fine for a night or two in San Jose, but who'd want to stay there longer anyway?

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful! It was fun to just hang out at the hostel, there's a great atmosphere with people mixing, chatting, playing pool, reading, just chilling by the bar etc. Menu was amazing - good quality food, great value! Though the rooms and bathrooms are slightly old, it's clean and they have free washing machines and soap powder, a real plus! It's slightly out of the centre, but an easy bus ride and they explain it very well.

Thank you for your review! We are glad you had lots of fun with us! Wada is the most popular hostel in Guilin and we attract all the fun and mingling crowd from around the world. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon! =)