Despite being rated among the top hi hostels, I found there was a lack of effort to ensure cleanliness of the hostel, especially the showers and under the bed. Air conditioning didn't seem to work in my room. Front desk seemed understaffed or inefficient, and they didn't speak great English. Good selection of food, but taste was just average (as with most hostels you are better off finding something on the street - more delicious and cheaper). Good selection of beer, some from Germany.

Stayed here for 3usd a night in a dorm room, so really can't complain. Food was not great, but I found that typical of pingyao. Cleanliness could have been better, and bathroom was poorly lit. I chose not to shower here. Staff didn't speak good English, but they were quick to call the manager who did and was quite helpful. Also got a free map and bottle of water with my stay.

A bit hard to find, its on the 22 floor of a building beside a major hotel. Also limited signage. Staff were very friendly and spoke excellent English, even shared their breakfast with me. Rooms and bathrooms were clean and bright. It was a welcome break from staying in other hostels. Would definitely recommend staying here.