7 Patas Hostel

Sucre, Bolivia

Well equipped kitchen, helpful staff, nice spacious dorm. It was a bit quiet but think that was because of the road blockages. Would have liked lockers though although you could leave stuff with reception and they took quite a high commission on booking bus tickets (30 Bolivianos) but overall good place to stay in a central location.

Social hostel with good communal areas, big, well equipped kitchen and nice and near beach.

Mamatierra Hostel

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Helpful staff who can book tours, decent breakfast - especially liked the fact you got fruit salad and can cook your own eggs, very clean, nice patio area and book swap. Fairly quiet and chilled vibe. Three bed dorms bit on cosy side when you have all your bags in there but fine. Directions from bus station completely incorrect and meant we got lost trying to find the hostel and walked much further than needed to, so ignore them and ask someone when you arrive.

• 24th Mar 2014

Happy House Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Great staff, friendly and helpful. A very tasty breakfast and good communal areas, pool, outside seating, TV Lounge, kitchen, balcony, etc. We booked a twin room and did have four bunk beds rather than two singles which wasn't expecting but they were comfy despite banging my head a couple of times. Floorboards were a little on the creaky side.

Hostel Suites Obelisco

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Really nice staff, who were helpful with lost stuff. Cool old building and nice vibe. Basic breakfast but good bathroom and dorm, old lift slightly annoying as people kept leaving door open. Pretty good location for Central downtown.

Hostel Suites Florida

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Big hostel with lots of groups of people staying there. As someone travelling on my own I didn't find it friendly or a good place to meet people. The kitchen was small and taken over by groups sometimes. The location was good and dorm ok, but didn't really enjoy my time there.

Hostel Sue Candelaria

Bogota, Colombia

Comfy bed and good security, nice TV room with sofas to relax on. the free breakfast varied a bit depending on the day but generally good. Dorm bit noisy as right next to reception.

La Serrana

Salento, Colombia

Beautiful location, really nice group dinner on week nights, social and comfy hostel. Had nice hot shower too, slight downside dorm I was staying in was a bit noisy as it was near the kitchen/communal area.

Black Sheep Hostel Medellin

Medellin, Colombia

Nice hot showers, clean spacious dorms and fun social hostel met some nice people there. Staff helpful with information though booking an extra night wasn't the easiest. Good kitchen and TV area. Big Exito very near so easy to get food to cook. A few more tables and chairs on the terrace would be good but hammocks there very nice.

La Tortuga Hostel

Taganga, Colombia

The staff here were great, very helpful. They kept my camera which I left there, called cabs, gave advice, set up dives and were really friendly. They had a good kitchen and nice four person dorms, also had a great rooftop bar with lovely barman and a great view. Enjoyed my time here.

The Dreamer Hostel

Santa Marta, Colombia

Loved my time here, good mix of chilling and partying. Helpful, friendly staff who can book trips, fun bar and activities. Good restaurant and well equipped kitchen. Showers are pretty cold though.

The Cranky Croc Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

Staff were helpful, comfy bed and liked the lockers with lights and chargers. Good location. Kitchen bit slow in morning I ordered breakfast but after half an hour had to cancel as took to long and needed to leave so can't comment on food.

Ecopackers

Cusco, Peru

Central location and good hot showers. The staff, especially at reception, were very helpful and friendly. Comfy beds and strong lockers, could be a bit noisy at certain times and WiFi a bit temperamental but overall a good place to stay.

Lemon Spirit Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I enjoyed my stay at Lemon Spirit, I thought all the staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful especially all the guys (and girl) on reception. I was a female staying on my own and was the area was ok for me alone even at night. There are shops and restaurants nearby plus the beach. They included breakfast simple but nice and patio area was a good hangout. Only slight negative a couple of the lockers in my room were broken but they did have other lockers not in the room. Would def go back