Reviews: alastairthornhill1887

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 37

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Can't say anything against this place. Great, friendly staff, very knowledgable. Good social scene in the reception area. Double room had a huge bed & within block with other rooms so felt very secure. Location is also great, north of the old city & tucked away on a quiet soi. Highly recommend Aoi Gardens!

Alobar1000

Kathmandu, Nepal

Nice location near Thamel area but tucked away on a quiet road. Great place to meet people, really like the large bar area on the rooftop. Pretty good food as well. Tours desk know what they are doing & also arrange occasional evening trips for guests to meet others. Would like to see lockers in the rooms as belongings are left out.

In Da Lodge

Ubud, Indonesia

Nice little place in a nice little town. Good comfy beds, lots of space in the dorm. No lockers in dorms but are available. Located 5 mins walk from centre of town. Large communal area & bar making easy to meet everyone, and the food is really good! Only small issues are intermittent power failures (although most likely nothing they can do about this) and fairly poor wifi. Also, while they have a huge collection of books, only a handful are in English.

Bedbunkers Hostel #2

Kuta, Indonesia

They apologise from the start for being in 'soft-opening' period. They seem to have been in this state for a long time. Dorms are good, clean & you have a large secure locker behind your head. The really bad points: only 2 working showers for 39 people; 4 sinks but only 2 with mirrors; the showers leak out of the door making it very dangerous. Staff said I could not extend but when I checked Hostelworld they had vacancies - they had reallocated my bed, but others actually available!

Mayon Backpackers Hostel

Legazpi City, Philippines

Only stayed one night but found it comfy & clean. Coffee & rolls provided for breakfast & cooking facilities. It's located a bit out of the way (the trike driver had to ask directions, but the locals seemed to know where it was). Receptionist seems to have got better since previous reviews, but when I came to pay she did not have enough change & took a while to grasp that she would need to get some more money.

We would like to thank you for your sincerest reviews and ratings towards the services we provided during your stay. Because of your positive comments and positive suggestions, we are delighted to make improvements necessary to enhance our services more and to be able to accommodate admirable customers like you to the fullest extent of our customer satisfaction. We wish to also extend our deepest gratitude in selecting Mayon Backpackers Hostel as a part of your wonderful travelling memories.

OMG House

Puerto Princesa City, Philippines

Only stayed one night but left a good impression. Seemed easy to socialise, dorms were clean, staff informative, good location to transfer to the airport. No lock on main door to dorm, but lockers provided and it's set down a driveway.

Frendz Resort Boracay

Boracay Island, Philippines

Great place. Very clean (sheets changed daily!), awesome staff. Very social bar area, a few gatherings arranged during the week is a great idea. Food from the bar is good & decently priced, lots of breakfast choices. Would be nice to have breakfast included considering the cost of the beds. They also have reserved loungers on the beach & deals with a couple of the restaurants.

Boxpackers Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Wonderful place. Well away from the Khao San Road area close to transport links for BTS buses & airport express trains. The pods are possibly the comfiest bed I have has in SE Asia. Very clean. Showers worthy of a hotel. Huge lockers, swipe card entry into main are of hostel & dorms. Good breakfast choices. Only issue I would say is that security could be too good - if you forget your key when you go to the toilet you get locked out. And the pods did make it difficult to socialise.

The Explorers Guesthouse and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Excellent location in Chinatown, close to Central Market, in between two LTR stations and close to the bus station. Very comfy dorm bed, great shower rooms. Lockers outside the dorm and can't use your own locks. It is also close to the company who deals with Myanmar visas & the hostel staff were good in telling me where an internet cafe was to get documents printed out so that I could do this. Saying this, there are similar, and smaller, guesthouses nearby which are cheaper.

Raizzy's Guesthouse

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great location in Chinatown, close to bus terminals & LRT stations. Very clean. Lovely shower room. We were in the 6-bed dorm. Comfy beds but a bit cramped when full of bags and no window so is pitch black when your trying to get yourself ready. They have a TV with lots of films, but the common area can get noisy which is distracting when you are watching one. Main door has a security keypad, which is great, but no one seems to be bothered to remember it so the doorbell is constantly ringing

Old Penang GuestHouse

Penang, Malaysia

Love this place! Nice building, great chilled vibe, very helpful staff always available, good mixed crowd. Perfect location to see George Town and good food stalls & cafes nearby. Lockers provided outside dorm which helps to keep the dorm very quiet for people sleeping.

Rueang Sri SiRi Guest House

Sukhothai, Thailand

Only stayed a couple of nights to see Sukhothai. Cheap for a double room to myself. Fairly basic but didn't expect much else. Bed was comfy & big! Right next to the bus station so good for late night arrival / early departure. Free pushbike available to get to the old city or scooters for hire.

I came for 2 nights. Then came back for 3 weeks. The bungalows are basic, as are the showers, but the atmosphere cannot be beaten. It feels more like a campsite (and you can pitch a tent if you wish) and there is plenty of space to try your circus skills or relax & socialise. It's less than 10 mins walk to town and it's a nice walk. There may be better facilities in Pai, but you will pay more and I doubt I'd have stayed as long as I did anywhere else.

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

The staff never knew which beds were free when new guests arrived. Too few toilets meant toilet roll was never there. Breakfast was ok at best. Beds were made daily & underbed lockers were sturdy. Air-con was intermittent in 14-bed dorm in the basement even when power in city was stable. Had issues when checking out as they could not understand I had paid a deposit which needed deducting from the total. Furthest hostel from the centre. It was clean at least...

Easy Go Hostel

Vang Vieng, Laos

It's $3 dollars a night for a dorm room. Yes, the beds are hard, but they all are in SE Asia. Lockers are available at reception which is open to the street, but my dorm was at the end of a walkway with a door in the next room which opened out into a shared yard, so I felt better with my valuables in reception. The staff are close by at all times so it is watched. It's not the cleanest I've been to, but at this price that's not my priority.

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

I stayed at the Sihome Gardens, the newly opened second hostel. It had only en open a couple of weeks but everything ran smoothly. It is a more relaxed atmosphere compared to it's sister hostel down the road which is their intention - to have environments that can be used by guests at either hostel to suit their needs. Steve & Phil are very friendly and always looking for ways to improve the service & artists to decorate the walls!

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

Stayed here as part of a very group. Well positioned between the beach & the town, but is a bit of a walk still. Beds very comfy. Good pool & bar area outside. And quite possibly the best breakfast I've had so far. An amazing buffet! Helped arrange an Easy Rider trip for us all and were amazing when one of us got lost in getting a message relayed to the guides.

Backpackers House

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Located close to the bars at the backpacker end of town. My mattress had seen better days but bed still ok. Shower one of the best I had in a Vietnamese hostel. Very clean. I stayed in a 6-bed dorm, but 2 other dorms used the same entrance and shower. A bit odd but you got used to it. Food was very good but breakfast over priced. Good deals on buckets for dinner helped. Highly recommend the food stall at the end of the drive which sells fresh cooked shellfish and snails!

Enjoy Da Lat Hostel

Da Lat, Vietnam

A bit difficult to find but an absolute gem. Beds are in your own little cubby hole with the warmest leopard print blankets I've ever seen. It's like being in a cave! Owner took us to a local place to eat on the first might and then to their sister bar, which was nice with a perfect pool table but a bit quiet.

The Led Zephyr

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Fairly basic beds, but for $5 acceptable. The ladders to the top bunks can be a bit dangerous - mine unhooked & swung out on my first climb. Security wise I had concerns when I first got there. People were talking about thefts from the lockers in rooms The lockers were moved into the main building and cameras installed. My view is that most issues are caused by people not locking the dorm room door when they leave - it's not automatic! Great location at the top of the main road. Great bar.