I've stayed at Caulaincourt several times now and it's one of my favourite hostels. The eclectic décor gives it an interesting vibe, the staff are unfailingly friendly, and it's well-connected to the metro. The rooms are a bit small, but you get excellent value for your money by Parisian standards.

Casa de Amigos Albayzin

Granada, Spain

Please AVOID this guesthouse. The directions say to "call us upon arrival." My call went straight to voicemail, and even though it was late at night, nobody was home. There's no wifi either; I went to the restaurant next door and I had just decided to book another hostel when the lady in charge of Casa de Amigos showed up nearly 2 hours later. This wasn't the owner, it was his friend who is in charge of the guesthouse for several months, but this doesn't make the way I was treated acceptable.

• 4th Jul 2014

Hostel Meeting Point

Madrid, Spain

The location is good and we enjoyed the atmosphere. On the day you check out, if you want to leave your luggage there, they charge you 3 euros per bag per hour after 1:00, which it doesn't mention online. There are other hidden charges as well, like 70 cents per page for printing. The hostel also needs more plug-ins and bathrooms. The wifi doesn't work in some of the rooms.

• 30th Jun 2014

Ritchie's Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

Nothing fancy and it lacks the typical hostel atmosphere, but the location is perfect. The staff is friendly, the rooms are fairly clean, and the windows seem to be soundproof. There's no wifi in the rooms, only in the reception area. I thought it was a good deal for the price.

Lollis Homestay

Dresden, Germany

The hostel has a lot of character and quirky decorations that make you feel at home. It also has some sort of event every night; while I was there, there was a barbecue and a vegetarian dinner (both free), as well as a beginners' German class. The only potential downside was the location. The hostel is near cheap restaurants and bars but far from all the main tourist attractions.

MEININGER Frankfurt/Main Messe

Frankfurt, Germany

Compared to most hostels, everything is extremely clean and the rooms are well-equipped. However, it completely lacks the typical hostel atmosphere and if you plan on sightseeing, it's far from the city centre. Some of the staff members were rude.

Aventura Boutique Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

A great hostel with friendly staff! I stayed in the Africa room, and I loved the atmosphere there. The shared facilities are kept extremely clean and the kitchen has everything you could want. The only drawback is that it's a little way out of the centre, but there's a metro stop nearby.

Believe-it-or-Not

Vienna, Austria

Lilly’s hostel has everything you could possibly want in a hostel (and more!). Lilly herself is genuinely friendly and helpful. If you want to be guaranteed a great stay in Vienna, book this hostel!

The hostel had everything you could possibly need and the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The nightly showing of The Sound of Music was a great way to meet people. The only thing that was missing was space to socialize; it would be nice to have another common room or two.

hi there. thanks for the review. we have in total 5 sozializing rooms (two tv rooms, the tea-kitchen, the bar and the foyer). save travells, yoho team

Overall a pretty good hostel. I'd booked a 6-bed dorm, and somehow I ended up alone in a 2-bed room. It would have been weird if there had been one other person in my room, but there wasn't, so it worked out fine.

I was really worried at first because I was assigned to a room where the key card system wasn't working, which would have meant a staff member would have had to open it every time I wanted to go in. However, the staff I talked to were all really helpful and they quickly moved me to a different room. The hostel is central. However, the rooms are small with austere décor, and the bunk beds tend to shake a lot. Bins are provided to lock up your things, but bring a lock.

Yes! Porto Hostel

Porto, Portugal

The hostel is very clean, the common room and dinners provide a great way to meet people, and the location is central. The staff are friendly, although they kept asking us to sign up for dinner or the walking tour every single time we passed them.

• 20th Mar 2014

Believe-it-or-Not

Vienna, Austria

I've stayed in a lot of hostels across Europe, and this was far and away the best. It felt more like a home than a hostel - the shared living space and kitchen make it easy to meet other people. Lilly was also really welcoming and helpful. I hope to be back soon!

Yakamoz Guesthouse

Istanbul, Turkey

The staff at Yakamoz were really friendly, always welcoming and eager to help. The location is also perfect; as a female traveling alone, I felt completely safe and I couldn't have picked a better area to stay. I would definitely go back!

Dioskouros

Athens, Greece

The main advantage of this hostel is its location in the city centre. However, the bathrooms were dirty with no soap or paper towels. The room was cold (during the day, even colder than outdoors) and you could feel the springs in the mattresses. It was cheap, so we got pretty much what we paid for.

A great choice overall, especially since it's one of the cheaper hostels in Paris. The décor makes it welcoming, the staff are always willing to help, and it's a really short walk from the Lamarck Caulaincourt metro station. The bathrooms could have been cleaner.

Geneva Housing

Geneva, Switzerland

WARNING. This hostel was nice enough, so I recommended it to a friend who was looking for a cheap place to stay in Geneva. But while she was staying there, everyone was thrown out by the police because the hostel was illegal!

Geneva Hostel

Geneva, Switzerland

Be aware that there's an extra charge of 6 francs per person each night if you're not a Hostelling International member. However, the hostel does provide free public transportation cards. It's clean but it lacks character. The common areas aren't conducive to a hostel atmosphere, and it feels a little bit like a hospital.

• 28th Oct 2013