Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 24

Generator Hostel Copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark

Generator is a chain hostel, and it has the "big hostel" feel and has most of the perks, but I really do expect things like privacy curtains and towels in chains like this, and though the staff did not seem hostile, they did not volunteer any information to me at all, provide a "rundown" of the hostel, or even offer me a map (although maps were available). The breakfast is a RIDICULOUS ten dollar expense. Overall a mediocre chain hostel, but still a clean, comfy place compared to some.

Dear guest, thanks for staying with us. Our reception is always here for you, we have maps, a big board of recommendations and are happy to give you info about all the ins and outs of the city. That is why we are here :) Breakfast is great value for Copenhagen, but we understand it may seem expensive in relation to other European cities. Cheers, Team Generator Cph

Avenue Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Avenue gets bonus points for the beds themselves; there are not only lockers, but also privacy curtains and absolutely splendid cubbies in the racks themselves that are also lockeable, making it easy to stash electronics within arms reach while laying down. The place was clean, and the staff was more friendly than in some larger hostels. keycode entry, but not locking rooms. Good location and easy to get a cab to find. Attracts an interesting crowd, I think. Clean with no sweat smell. AC.

Boomerang Hotel

Luxor, Egypt

This hostel was the best thing in Egypt. It was literally the only place I could go and not be harassed for money. The signs to the Boomerang Bob Marley hostel begin from the train station and lead right to building, so a map or directions aren't necessary. The rooftop is very relaxed, and the drinks/breakfast/water are well priced. The place is cleaned daily, and is kept secure with a manned desk. The hostess was very helpful with her advice, and helped me save a lot of money.

One Season Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

I would not stay at this hostel again. I expect a hostel to try to help backpackers get the most out of this trip, but this hostel blatantly rips travelers off by trying to wrestle them into heavily overpriced "trip packages" full of commissioning fees and unneeded services. To make matters worse, only the private rooms have adequate bathrooms. There is no atmosphere here whatsoever; I thought that it was an Egypt problem until I went to a much better hostel in Luxor. No advice for free here

Hostel Overstay TLV

Tel Aviv, Israel

At first arrival this place seems to be in a bad location, but it's more a matter of where you want it to be around; it's close to Jaffa's center and is near the bus station, but is distant from much of the modern area. The staff all seemed like fun people. The rooms were overcrowded, the worst part of the place, and both times I stayed here the two rooms felt claustrophobic with everyone's gear. Outside of the rooms things are better, though, and there are plenty of couches.

Golan Garden Hostel

Katzrin, Israel

I've only given one other hostel a 100% review, which was over a year ago, and that earlier one did have a few more amenities than the Golan Garden I suppose, but this hostel was so perfect that I have a hard time not declaring it my favorite hostel of all time, and no other hostel even comes close to the quality of staff or atmosphere. The place is located within walking distance of the nature reserve, the place is kept as clean as a house, and security is not a concern for this peaceful town.

Bethlehem Youth Hostel

Bethlehem, Israel

I would have enjoyed my stay here much more if it had not been for a single staff member that was very unfriendly and unprofessional. The hostel itself was not uncomfortable at all. It had a very large dorm room with enough space to probably fit two or three times more beds than they try to, the bedframes feel rock-solid and the mattresses are comfortable. I don't feel like the price is spectacular for Palestine, but with tourism so bad I can't blame anyone for it.

St Christopher's Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

This hostel isn't on par with other St. Christophers. It is hot; even though the staff said they could turn the air down, they don't. Not very clean, excepting the beds which were fine. Light was broke. The place is one of/the loudest I've been to in maybe a dozen countries; the kind of people that come to this hostel are the absolute worst, uncultured and uninteresting people I could imagine. Even for the partying type, this place seems unfacilitating, and there are surely better hostels

Jetpak Jumpdesk

Berlin, Germany

Jetpack Jumpdesk was a very routine hostel with the exception of solid security measures to include lockers and a super pleasant staff that everyone seemed to like quite a bit. Berlin is hard city to do without public transport anyway, but this hostel isn't even close to the city center. I actually met quite a few fun people, but the place has a claustrophobic atmostphere.

Brussels Hostel Grand Place

Brussels, Belgium

I have to admit that I enjoyed seeing an American staff member; it's been a long time since I have seen that. Keycard security makes me happy, the location varies and I'm not sure which visitors go to which building, but one is near the train station and the other is right off the old square, so neither are really bad. Atmosphere was actually on the poor side, but this city seems to attract fun backpackers, and I liked the people I met. Mostly unremarkable hostel, but comfortable.

Gļæ½stehaus Kaiserpassage

Karlsruhe, Germany

I felt like I was the only tourist in the hostel, and everyone else seemed to be a student. The hostel itself is bland, with an unremarkable staff, and is a very good distance from the train station. Facilities were mostly great, but I felt like the rooms themselves didn't have the best beds or enough power sockets (especially when the student residents are monopolizing them). Cleanliness was not a problem, and this place isn't expensive.

Security is fine; Fuessen isn't a place one would get into to trouble or robbed anyway. Fuessen's also too small to have a bad location, too. The staff were all great, and the cleaning lady keeps the place clean. Atmosphere is quite, but every room is very well constructed and very spacious with rock-solid furniture and nice decoration. All of the basic facilities are included, including reading lights, and in addition you are given a bus card and can take advantage of their laundry service.

Euro Youth Hostel

Munich, Germany

One of the better of the large-scale hostel operations that I've been to, but like all of the others it suffers from the "hostel factory" atmosphere. To make matters worse, on certain nights music absolutely rips through the walls from the bar area. The rock-solid furniture and generally superior facilities puts it ahead of some other major franchises, though. Also, completely average staff, a decent value, and a perfect location.

Hostel Zeus

Athens, Greece

First and formost, this hostel comes with a (depending on the heat) 2-3 hour, free walking tour with a very interesting guide. While the atmosphere in this hostel is otherwise kind of poor, the walking tour was a great way to meet people. The staff are also excellent, and they helped me get in communication with a tour I'd booked and kept me up to date whenever they called the hostel, which made my stay so much easier. The shower/toilets are crude, but the AC is great. 24-hour manned desk.

Levanten Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

This place definitely needed more electrical sockets, and that was the biggest downside. Otherwise, this hostel is a good value for the money. The temperature was bearable, even though Turkey was HOT, and the place stayed clean and secured from outsiders by a 24-hour manned front desk. The location is easy to find from the main square, but it is otherwise QUITE a way from the older area of the city.

Amsterdam Hostel Uptown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The place was cleaned every day, I think. The rooms were sized large enough, the place stayed a comfortable temperature, and while there could be a few more plug ins, there were enough to get by with. The place wasn't over-priced, and though the facilities were on the basic side, nothing was uncomfortable. Big props for keycard doorway.

Ca' Venezia

Venice, Italy

I don't know if there's such a thing as a good location in Venice, but this hostel, once it is found, is easy enough to remember and "re-find". I didn't really like anything else about this hostel, and for the price that I paid, I expect to find more sockets in the room and reading lights, or decent AC, or SOMETHING beyond the basics. The shower was broken midway into my stay, but I guess that's not the staff's fault.

Corner Hostel Malta

Sliema, Malta

After finding out how cheap Malta's bus system is (1.5 euro daily, payable on the bus), I'm not sure how I feel about the 20 euro airport pickup, but everything else in this hostel was a rather good deal for the money. Nothing was noticeably dirty. The facilities were just the run of the mill kind. I don't know if I saw anything about laundry, but there is a kitchen available. The nearby bus stop (and the staff are more than willing to explain how to take advantage of it) got us everywhere.

Not the cheapest hostel in London, but not far from average (regrettably). I might be concerned about the security being comination locks, but the place didn't seem particularly unsafe. Everything else was really very nice. The rooms are small but WELL equipped, very comfy beds, sockets, lights, TV, computer (even headset/mic) and a mini fridge!!! The showers were super small, but always hot, so not a bid deal. My favorite staff member was local resident german shepherd!

Thank you for choosing Destinations Hostels during your visit to London, we change the lock combinations weekly and never give the codes to anyone who is not staying in the hostel, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will consider us again next time you visit London, thank you for your comments.

Four Courts Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

Location is wonderful, and the place feels safe. Free PC access is nice. The other facilities were mostly ordinary. The rooms get HOT even though it was February when I came. Like others, I couldn't find enough sockets, even when checking behind beds. The shower is push-activated (no problem), but the timings are off so that I had to press button every 5 seconds (I timed to be sure), making showering arduous. 5 euro deposit on towel rental on top of 2 euro fee is RIDICULOUS

High Street Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

A fairly easy to get to hostel with a decen atmosphere despite not offering much else that's spectacular. The showers/restrooms were ordinary, the rooms were just large enough not to feel cramped. The rooms do offer wall lockers instead of under-the-bed, so that's a plus. Also, at 20 pence, the towel rentals here are the cheapest I've seen yet, and I bumped up my facilities rating just because of that :) Also, I went downstairs VERY briefely, and I think the common area down looked fun.

STF/IYHF af Chapman

Stockholm, Sweden

A SUPER cool boat that I think is worth staying at for that aspect alone. To be honest I don't remember if it had laundry facilities, but it had everything else that you would want. The showers/restrooms were very clean, and although the shower operated on a push-activation, it was not much of a hassle and the water was always warm. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms very large. I liked the people I met there and met many even though I didn't visit the common areas much.

Astor Museum Inn

This appeares to be a very safe part of town, and its easiness to find is probably the hostel's best part. Otherwise, although everything was very adequate with the place, it was entirely small, old, and unspectacular. I have found other hostels in London I would prefer, but I would not really mind going back here, either. It's entirely average with a great location and security.

Very quiet, pleasant hostel. Excellent showers. The location of the place is perfect for people arriving on the train (either from another city/country or from the express coming from the airport), although Google Maps BADLY misidentifies this hostel as a place two blocks away. Not a loud, party hostel, and I think it is even child-friendly. The beds were fine, and I believe it came with wall lockers instead of under-the-bed lockers, so that's another plus.

While this hostel is run like a big business and therefore can be lacking on the hostel feel sometimes, I can only really complain so much about that. This hostel is a bit of a walk to the city center, but it's not far compared to most other alternatives, and the navigation is easy. The beds are clean, fairly comfortable, and well equipped (lights, sockets, lockers), there is a keycard lock, and an elevator. The staff are friendly and mostly helpful, and the breakfast wasn't bad.

Archi Rossi Hostel

Florence, Italy

Perhaps my stay here was only happenstancely perfect, but everything, from the staff, to the facilities offered, to the people I met, were superior, and I honestly could not imagine my trip in Florence to have been so great without having gone here. Of note, commodities, food, and drink are sold here VERY cheap, the breakfast is far better than expected, and there are solid morning tours of the city offered every morning for free. The place is clean, quiet, and social without being bothersome.

Hostel Pisa Tower

Pisa, Italy

I showed up late and left early, so my stay was brief, but this was my first hostel experience and I liked it. This is more of the "I share my home with you" kind of hostel, and so everything is small (except the kitchen, if I remember, which was rather large), but the young girl running the place was very nice and made the stop enjoyable. If anything, the age of the building makes it difficult to keep quiet on the second floor for others.