Calamari Hostel Boutique

Cartagena, Colombia

We decided to spend a little extra on a hostel for our last day in Cartagena and enjoyed staying at Calamari Hostal Boutique. It's quite different from any hostel I've stayed in before and a welcomed upgrade. The place was pretty quiet, the rooms are beautiful and there is even a small, scenic rooftop area which was lovely at night. There were a few insects that made an appearance and we couldn't figure out how to get the tv to work, but overall we had a positive experience.

Hostel Mamallena

Cartagena, Colombia

The staff were very laid back, helpful and friendly. The facilities were clean and conducive to having a good time. The pancakes for breakfast were an added bonus! My one cautionary point would be that the common area is basically right outside many of the rooms, which can make it noisy at night. However, this can be a non-issue with planning (i.e. bring earplugs) or by going out.

Jollyboys Backpackers

Livingstone, Zambia

Jolly Boys remains a really great option while staying in Livingstone. My only complaints would be the water pressure and temperature in the showers. Just as a heads up for the cooler months (ex: July): If its chilly outside, it will be chilly in the rooms, because they are heavily ventilated. However, there are heavy blankets that keep you warm.

Jollyboys Backpackers

Livingstone, Zambia

The atmosphere and the prices are great. However, they don't have outside locks for the "dorm" rooms, meaning the doors are ALWAYS UNLOCKED unless you decide to lock it from the inside. They encourage you to use their lockers (not in the rooms), but you must have your own lock . Additionally, you have to ask for sheets/pillowcases and mosquito nets, but you may not get them as they don't have enough (this happened to me). If you get a private room, none of this is an issue.