• England, Female, 18-24
Pentlands Backpackers Hostel, Auckland, New Zealand
8.0
11th Feb 2014

Pentlands was recommended to us by friends and we were not disappointed. Everything we needed was well within walking distance - supermarket just down the road, a high street of shops including takeaways, post office, banks etc. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and other backpackers to be really social. However - the mattresses were not the most comfiest and the pillows were pretty pointless. We were glad to see the bunk beds were wooden - they're not as noisy as metal ones!!

• England, Female, 18-24
Oaklands Lodge, Auckland, New Zealand
30th Oct 2013

Oaklands was the first hostel I checked into upon arrival in NZ . Johnny was the receptionist on duty that day and was very friendly. The hostel itself is in a great location within easy walking distance of Mt Eden. The local town has everything you'll need! My only gripe was that the cancellation conditions are not made clear. I cancelled my 3rd night with 1 days notice, but was not refunded. Instead I was given a "free night card" with an expiry date. Wasn't too happy with that.