Samba Green Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Ageing building and worn fittings that need an upgrade or at least a fresh coat of paint. It waaa a busy time around the FIFA WC final so things may have been less tidy than usual.

• 10th Jul 2014

Jumba Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I felt like family while staying at Jumba and even though the rooms and bathrooms were a little cramped, The vibe and atmosphere at the hostel made me extend my stay. Lahika, Alev and Eda are charming and gracious hosts who seemed like old friends - they also cook and bake up a storm! Add in a few bottles of wine or beer and life was at its best. Jumba is also close to Istiklal Str, Karakoy, Taksim Square, the tram, and bus ticketing offices.

• 12th May 2014
  • South Africa

Without a doubt the best backpackers hostel I've stayed at anywhere I've been in the world!! Facilities are modern, clean and eco-friendly. The bar and lounge area is spacious with a really cool, chilled atmosphere and plenty of seating for everyone. Great location just a short walk from the beach at Kilifi creek and a short tuk-tuk ride into the village if you need to get a bus or the shops.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • South Africa

I went during low season so the atmosphere was quiet. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make me feel at home. My room was comfortable, spacious and airy. The only drawbacks were that it is situated almost midway between Lamu town and Shela so it's a bit of a walk to either (took me about 25 min to each) and there were quite a few insects that managed to find their way into the room (although that is nature so little management can do about it).

• 4th Nov 2013