This place was awesome; terrific place to get away from it all and just relax. Takes some effort to get there--it's not "right around the corner from the bus stop" like many hostels-- but that's a big part of what gives it it's resort-in-the-forest appeal, and it's very close to the waterfall too. The kitchen is huge and very well equipped.

El Cactus Samara Backpacker

Playa Samara, Costa Rica

I felt more like I was a guest in someone's home than in a hostel. I stayed longer than originally planned, and would have stayed even longer but eventually I was unable to extend because all beds were reserved. I've already recommended this place to a few friends, and I will definitely be returning to Samara and El Cactus next time I'm in Costa Rica!

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp

Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Terrific location, nice patios area to mingle (although some electrical outlets on the patio would be nice), and kitchen area inside each dorm room.

Villas Macondo

Tamarindo, Costa Rica

I liked this place, a lot--beautiful and quite area, immediately next to a grocery store, terrific outdoor kitchen, gorgeous European women working in the office--I would have stayed longer if they had space available and I would definitely be happy to stay there again. That said, there was no hot water and the wifi didn't work my last day (might have been an easy fix/reboot if I had asked, but I was leaving so didn't worry about it).

Monteverde Backpackers

Monteverde, Costa Rica

The kitchen could be substantially improved with a small investment and the lockers are very small, but those are minor issues. Overall, this place is well worth the money; hot showers were nice, the grocery store next door was convenient, the complimentary bananas, eggs, toast, etc. for breakfast was delightful, and the host playing his guitar and singing was charming. I would definitely stay there again!

Arenal Backpackers Resort

La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Would be nice to have access to a kitchen and I wish smoking wouldn't be allowed under the covered area, but otherwise everything was terrific!