Iguana Backpackers

Montanita, Ecuador

We stayed here for two nights. The beds have fly protective sheets which are very helpful. The hostel had very good wifi too.

• 27th Aug 2014

Refugio Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I stayed here twice during the world cup, once for 2 nights and once for 5 nights. The bed allocation system is poor. During both of my stays, I arrived back in the hostel to find someone else sleeping in the bed that was given to me by the staff. This was very annoying. This can be easily solved by putting a sticker on each bed. A number of lockers were broken too when I was there. The hostel is in a good location and is less than a 10 minute walk from the Largo do Machedo metro stop.

• 11th Jul 2014

Vila Madalena Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

The staff here were very friendly and helpful. For example they carried my bags to my room and were on explaining how to get around Sao Paulo. The Hostel is about a 20 minute walk from the yellow metro line. The area has some good restaurants and is known for its street parties. The wifi in the hostel is excellent and works throughout the hostel. On the down side, I think there should be more options available for breakfast.

HI Copa Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I stayed here for 2 weeks during the world cup. This was the best hostel I stayed in during my 5 week stay in Rio. The hostel is in a great location near the Copacabana beach and the Contaglio metro stop. The Hostel puts on good events such as barbecues etc. The breakfast were good too. The wifi was a little slow but this is common in most hostels in Rio.

• 23rd Jun 2014

CaipiHostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The best thing about the hostel is its location in Lapa. However, the air conditioning system in the bedrooms is very noisy and can keep you awake even with ear plugs! The hostel thinks it's a club. It has music blaring at nearly all times of the day. It is particularly noisy on Saturday night and the music can be heard on the third floor. The sound proofing on the third floor is very poor. During my stay, there was also a shortage of water in the bathrooms.

• 14th Jun 2014