Fully Hong Hostel, Seoul, South Korea
2nd Nov 2014

Overall, this place is great value for the money ... one flaw is that the route to enter the common room is different from the route to enter the dorms, so many guests don't stop in the common room at all, which reduces social action there, whereas my dormmates did a lot of socializing in the dorm. They did stop talking when I asked to turn off the lights and go to sleep (though one did wake up at 5am and make noise for over an hour before leaving, which meant I was not going back to sleep).

Kim's House in Busan, Busan, South Korea
26th Oct 2014

During my last night, when I suddenly turned up in Busan on a night I hadn't planned to stay in Busan, the female dorm was full but the owner arranged for me to sleep in a single room and pay the same rate as for a dorm because I had come to Kim's House so many times. This is a really nice place to stay in Busan :D

Homo Nomad Hostel, Gyeong-ju, South Korea
24th Oct 2014

Like before, this is a nice place to stay.

James BLUE, Sokcho, South Korea
17th Oct 2014

The description is incorrect - there is no kitchen for guests. That said, James is helpful, and when I pointed out that the Hostelworld description says there is a kitchen, he arranged for me to use his parents' kitchen. Furthermore, he helped me get correct information about the shelters in Seoraksan National Park (the English language Seoraksan National Park website had incorrect information about the shelters).

Jean's Hostel, Jeonju, South Korea
7.1
7th Oct 2014

No kitchen, no computer terminals, no convenient access to drinking water (I had to request someone to get drinking water for me), and no socializing in the common room (I did more socializing in the dorm room ... but that's not where socializing should happen, since it could disturb other guests). There was an electric kettle in the common room, but no water source. That said, it's clean, near the hanok village, and the cheapest hostel in town, so overall and OK deal.

Namdo Hostel, Gwangju, South Korea
3rd Oct 2014

I had a great time here. It's a comfortable place with everything I needed, and the owner is friendly and helpful. The biggest disadvantage is that it is not in the most convenient location, but at least the bus which runs to Gwangcheon bus terminal (which has buses to all over the city and province) is frequent.

The Style Guest House, Daegu, South Korea
6.0
2nd Oct 2014

I told the staff I was going to leave early in the morning and come back for my luggage in the afternoon. I was told that I had to put my luggage in the luggage closet in the *morning*, otherwise I would not be checked out. What did I find the next morning? The room with the luggage closet was locked! When I told the staff about this later, she said she forgot it was locked in the morning. Worst hostel experience in South Korea so far.

Andong PeterPan Guest House, Andong, South Korea
30th Sep 2014

It is about a 10 minute walk away from Andong train station, and buses to the Intercity Bus Terminal and Hahoe Village stop just a two-minute walk away from the guesthouse. It suited my needs.

The Forest Hostel, Jeju Island, South Korea
22nd Sep 2014

This is a well-run hostel.

SLOW CITI Hostel, Jeju Island, South Korea
18th Sep 2014

Overall, it is a good hostel. Note: Breakfast (cereal, milk) starts a bit late. Also, it is near the Jungang bus stop/terminal.

Homo Nomad Hostel, Gyeong-ju, South Korea
14th Sep 2014

When the manager was out and I needed to talk to her, I called her, but got no response on the phone. Other than that, my stay here was overall good.

Kim's House in Busan, Busan, South Korea
11th Sep 2014

This place is like a middle-class Korean home which has been converted into a hostel.

Takamatsu Century Hotel, Kagawa Pref Takamatsu, Japan
3rd Sep 2014

It is a dorm in a hotel. It is not a hostel. I was fine with that. Sometimes I want the hostel social and DIY experience, but for this night this place met my needs.

2nd Sep 2014

I think this is cool traditional-style Japanese house which has been infused with a youthful vibe.

1st Sep 2014

Excellent, just as before.

Guesthouse Caminoro, Osaka, Japan
30th Aug 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, just as I had enjoyed my first stay.

J-Hoppers Hida Takayama Guesthouse, Hida Takayama, Japan
25th Aug 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, just as I had before.

Thank you very much for your honest feedback. We are very glad to know you enjoyed staying here and moreover you came back again here!!! Hope to see you again sometime in near future. Once again, thank you very much for your staying with us. Arigatou!

Candela Guest House Matsumoto, Matsumoto, Japan
24th Aug 2014

J-Hoppers Hida Takayama Guesthouse, Hida Takayama, Japan
19th Aug 2014

It is overall a really nice hostel.

Thank you for your very nice comments. We will strive to do even better in the future!

Hostel Ann, Nagoya, Japan
18th Aug 2014

I really liked the lounge area, and I enjoyed chatting with the other guests. I also like futon-style dorms, which is what is available here.

Backpacker MATSUYADO, Matsumoto, Japan
7.7
16th Aug 2014

It was difficult to find the hostel since, even though I was on the right street and the directions said it was next to the parking lot, there were multiple parking lots there, and the only sign for the hostel was blocked. That said, once I got inside, I got a nice futon to sleep on.

Candela Guest House Matsumoto, Matsumoto, Japan
10th Aug 2014

I really like the vibe that the owner establishes here - and she is happy to help travellers.

Thank you for comment and staying here 3 times!! I hope see you again!!

Hakodateyama Guest House, Hakodate, Japan
30th Jul 2014

The location is a bit inconvinient, but the views from the windows make up for that. The staff were very helpful, and found a good deal for me for my next night's accommodaion (in Aomori).

21st Jul 2014

This place is just as good as when I stayed here before. Recommended.

18th Jun 2014

Overall it is a very nice hostel. The facilities are all that I could have asked for, the staff were helpful, I enjoyed mixing with my fellow travelers, and I like the Japanese-style futon dorm beds. It is a bit of a walk from the nearest subway station.

Hotel Chuo, Osaka, Japan
16th Jun 2014

I think this place is great value for the money - next to a subway station and JR Station, inexpensive private rooms, a hot bath, etc ... may not be the greatest place for people who want to socialize, but for people who like sleeping on futons and want a good set of facilities in a convenient location, it is excellent.

Hong Kong Hostel, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
3rd Jun 2014

I would like to note that I did lose a few (fortunately not valuable) things. The staff had also reserved the wrong dates (i.e. not the same as the dates I booked through Hostelworld), though I discovered that they had made a mistake in time and found alternative accommodation for the affected nights, so in the end it worked out for me - but make sure to doublecheck the dates they have reserved for you when you check in. That said, considering the location, it's great value for the money.

TK Kaohsiung Hostel, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
2nd Jun 2014

Because the hostel was mostly empty that night, the staff upgraded my room at no extra cost. Nice. Some rooms have street noise, but as far as other guests it was very quiet (maybe because there weren't many guests). Overall, a well-run place which provides everything I expect from a budget hostel.

Funny Yummy Angel, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
30th May 2014

I had a great time here. The staff were very helpful, the facillities were great ... it would be difficult for light sleepers who wanted to go to bed before midnight, but this is downtown Kaohsiung, not a national park, so I care less about getting to bed early. As for myself, I have no complaints.

SuSu Guesthouse, Taitung, Taiwan
21st May 2014

I chose to stay here because I think sleeping in a used bookstore is cool (and I did pick up a book). For me, the highlight of staying here was I happened to be here when they had an event - screening documentaries about street art, including a French-language documentary about murals in Los Angeles in the early 1980s. I love having surprises like that during my travels.

Undergrounds Hostel, Ilan, Taiwan
26th Apr 2014

I had a wonderful time here! The staff are very helpful - they offer rides to/from the train/bus station if you call them. I had such a nice time here that I extended by a week. I love the vibe - the furniture, the underground dance studio / bedroom - the people here are connected to Yilan's indie culture scene, so if you are interested in that, they can introduce you.

N joy Taichung, Taichung, Taiwan
5th Apr 2014

The biggest problem I had is that people do not respect the lights-out/be quiet times - not even the staff. After I reminded people (including staff) to follow the rules posted on the wall, they would be quiet for a while, but then eventually make noise again. Thus, I was never able to get more than 6 hours of sleep per night, and on the last night I did not sleep at all. Therefore, if you want a good night's sleep, avoid the dorm room at this hostel.

Taiwan Hostel Happy Family, Taipei, Taiwan
1st Apr 2014

I highly recommend getting a private room. The people in the dorms tend to come in and out as late as 2PM, and it does not cost that much to get a single. I arrived at Happy Family years ago when I came to Taiwan for the first time, so I have a lot of nostalgic feelings about the place.

28th Mar 2014

First of all, the Hostelworld Listing is incorrect - they do NOT offer internet access, only WiFi. They do have a computer, but staff are not allowed to use it. I had to send/receive some important emails, so had to borrow computers, smartphones, and even go to an internet cafe. If had known that this hostel did not offer computer terminals, I would not have chosen it. Aside from that, it is a decent place to stay. Quiet, clean, and near a good transit hub.

Thank you for staying. As we described our HW hotel info below, 「3.Free WiFi is available with your own Lap-top.」. We are sorry for misunderstanding. hope you enjoyed japan.

Kurashiki guest house U-RIN-AN, Okayama Kurashiki, Japan
24th Mar 2014

This is great - a historic house in the middle of one of the most beautiful historic districts I have visited in Japan (be sure to stroll around the neighborhood at night). I understand why they have to be a little more expensive than some other hostels - maintaining this kind of building is not cheap. It is also a great place to meet the foreign travellers who find themselves in Okayama Prefecture.

Fukuoka Hana Hostel, Fukuoka City, Japan
6.6
23rd Mar 2014

- I was made to overpay - I was put a worse room than I reserved - I was given a notice about late check-in hours after I checked in - When I asked about this, I was told it was just a misunderstanding and they did not need to do anything - I had to be very insistent (at night, when I was tired) to get them to check - I did get a refund and my proper room - I did get a written apology

19th Mar 2014

At first I was concerned about going to a 20 bed dorm, but they actually manage the situation pretty well with their rules (chat in the sound-proofed common room, no chat in the dorm room itself). The people there were very helpful with their information about Miyajima, and they kept my bags while I went camping on Miyajima itself.

Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya, Kumamoto Shi, Japan
16th Mar 2014

One of my favorite hostels in Japan! They have a great atmosphere, with lots of tasteful traditional Japanese stylistic touches. I really enjoyed hanging in this hostel. Note: if you have a sleeping bag and choose not to use the futon/blanket, they will give you a discount.

Cabosu House Beppu Hamayu, Beppu Spa City Oita, Japan
14th Mar 2014

It offered a good place to sleep during my stay in Beppu. I also discovered how good Oita shochu is at the bar. There is a detailed guidebook inside the hostel describing what to see/do in Beppu.

Fukuoka Backpackers Hostel, Fukuoka City, Japan
7.4
11th Mar 2014

Considering how cheap it is, it is not a bad deal. However, the staff are mostly inexperienced, and gave me inaccurate information which wasted quite a bit of my time because they do not know the area very well themselves (for example, they told me about a "vegetarian" restaurant which has big pictures of meat outside and does not offer any vegetarian food, and it turns out they have never been there themselves). If I return to Fukuoka, I will stay somewhere else.

9th Mar 2014

I had a really good time at Akari. The staff helped me find the best restaurants for me in the neighborhood (and since I am vegan, that is a feat), and the location by the river is great. The bed was comfortable, and I like the lounge area and reading room. It is in a central location, which is convenient for going around the city. I was a bit disappointed by the tour, but since that is run by volunteers and not Akari itself I do not think that counts.

14th Feb 2014

I had a good time at Osaru-no Oyado. I enjoyed meeting fellow travelers in Okinawa. The temperature of the shower water would fluctuate a little (more so that any other shower I`ve used in Japan), and the female dorm is a bit crowded, but that actually did not bother me. The kitchen has plenty of space, so several people can cook at once (experiment with Okinawan ingredients!)

1st Feb 2014

I had a great time at Khaosan Kyoto Guesthouse. The staff actually upgraded my bed at no extra cost. There was a great Rakugo party one night where I got introduced to another aspect of Japanese culture. The best part, however, is the other guests. I had so many long, interesting conversations ... it`s a hub of intellectual people from around the world.

Khaosan Kyoto Theater, Kyoto, Japan
18th Jan 2014

I had a great time at Khaosan Kyoto Theater! The dorm bed was very comfortable - I slept well every night. I also enjoyed talking to all of the Taiwanese guests in Mandarin - who knew that I would use so much Mandarin in Japan?

Thank you so much for your staying with us! Everyone who talked with you should have much fun! We were so happy to see that!:) When you visit Japan next time, please come back to our hostel! We look forward to seeing you again! Best Regards, Erika

7.7
16th Jan 2014

Well, it's the Japanese capsule hotel experience. A bit old, but okay. I am glad I stayed there for one night for the experience, and I recommend that other travellers try out a capsule hotel like this for one night, but for longer periods of time I prefer hostels and guesthouses.

Guesthouse Caminoro, Osaka, Japan
9th Jan 2014

I had a great time at CaminoRo. It was a great place to start in Japan. I really appreciated the help with getting the ticket for the Takarazuka Revue :D