Reviews: freetoeknee

Location: Australia, Gender: Male, Age: 39

The Dreamer Hostel

Santa Marta, Colombia

LOVED this hostel!! A little pricey, but geez you do get what you paid for. Highly energetic, helpful and friendly staff who always remember your name, a great atmosphere which is certainly helped by the bar and the pool by the bar. It would be nice to have breakfast included in the price, as the food is also slightly pricey, but again, you certainly get what you paid for. Recommended.

• 23rd Jul 2014

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

Loved this hostel. Can hardly find fault with anything at all. Fantastic atmosphere, very relaxed and open and friendly vibe. Most of the staff were extremely helpful, just 1 or 2 that didnt quite meet the standards set by the majority of the staff, but that is a minor quibble. Air-con in the room, secure safe for personal belongings. All good. Recommended.

• 19th Jul 2014

Happy Buddha Boutique Hostel

Medellin, Colombia

Super friendly and helpful staff, comfy beds, great atmosphere in the bar. Excellent location. Breakfast was a little light on quantity, but other than that, Couldn't ask for anything more.

• 15th Jul 2014

Mahatu Leticia Hostel

Leticia, Colombia

Very chilled hostel on a large tropical palm filled property. Very basic facilities, but totally adequate, and the swimming pool is good value. Gustave speaks perfect English, and is helpful with directions and information about the town.

• 12th Jul 2014

Local Hostel Manaus

Manaus, Brazil

Fantastic hostel. The staff are great, super friendly and helpful. When I thought I had lost my hiking boots, they went beyond the call of duty to locate them. Also, assistance with booking transport, tours, phoning for taxis etc, all add up to an excellent experience. Aircon in the rooms, good breakfast, bar at the reception desk..., the list goes on.

• 4th Jul 2014

Hostel & Pousada Casa Coco Verde

Jericoacoara, Brazil

Great hostel. My only (minor) gripe is that the dorm room was incredibly cramped with too many beds in too small a space.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thanks Tony for your feedback! We´ll check the situation with our 8-bed dorms and see how we can improve the situation for our future guests. We also offer 5-bed dorms which might be the better option for your next stay at Casa Coco Verde. Our guests have the option to choose between a budget accommodation in an 8-bed dorm, a medium budget in a 5-bed dorm or a private apartment with balcony in our upper floor.

Paraty Beach Hostel

Paraty, Brazil

Location could not be beat! Staff were fantastic - thx Serena and Gaston!! :-D Breakfast was amazing. All the good things you want in a hostel. Only issue was the lack of security. Anyone can walk in off the street, there are no lockers in the large dorm, and nor is there a door on it. Otherwise, I LOVED this place.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Globetrotter

Hi, hopefully we never had security problems and believe me there were many people staying at the hostel already. We also have all the details of our costumers staying at the hostel .. Paraty is very safe and nothing happen here, thats one of our first attractions of the city, here is very peaceful...No lockers in the room they are too noisy, they are outside of the room.. Also we have cameras at important places of the hostel just in case.. Thank you buddy, hope you have a great time. Gaston .

Bossa Nova Hostel

Paraty, Brazil

Location in comparison to other hostels in Paraty is poor. Moved after 2 nights to another hostel just 15 seconds walk to the beach. Good breakfast, though.

• 4th Jun 2014
  • Globetrotter

Dear guest,the beach you are talking about is absolutely polluted. For lots of years these beaches are inappropriately classified. Unfortunately nobody let you know about it there. Instead it, we are the hostel in town with the best rating for security, cleaning, staff, atmosphere, value for money. Its why our guests are recommending and rating us very well. We are behind the biggest market in town where easily our guest get things to eat and catch the local bus to the best beaches and waterfall

Vila Madalena Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Great staff make for a great hostel. Super friendly and very helpful and informative. Bathroom facilities could improved, but that is my only gripe.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Marcopolo Inn Iguazu

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Location Location Location! Right across the street from the bus station. The front security is pretty average tho. Staff - excellent, extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms - spacious and clean. Bathroom - hot showers were a treat.

• 31st May 2014

Casa Colores Hostel

Tilcara, Argentina

A very quiet place to lay your head. The owners are very friendly but contrary to their profile, do not speak English. The hostel is located a bit out of town, 10-15 minutes to the centre.

• 24th May 2014

Backpackers Hostel Salta

Salta, Argentina

Nice and cheap. Some staff were excellent (notable mention to Alejandra on reception) - most helpful and friendly. Other staff seemed somewhat disinterested. It was pretty quiet when I was there, so didn't meet too many people, so the atmosphere was a little flat. Travel agency attached to the hostel was handy, but I had a minor disagreement with them when a day-tour was aborted midway thru due to weather. Minor quibble.

• 20th May 2014

El Viajero - Hostel & Suites

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

If you stay here, ask not to be put in Room #1. The room entrance is in the alcove leading onto the street rather than in the hostel itself. Also, there is only one bathroom /toilet to share between rooms 1 and 5....most inconvenient. The staff were friendly and helpful, though.

• 9th May 2014

Art Factory

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I really liked Art Factory. The staff were helpful and friendly - with special mention to Diego at the front desk. The facilities, rooms and beds were comfortable, and I especially liked the street art and graffiti and art works covering the walls from top to bottom. Recommended.

• 8th May 2014

Milhouse Avenue

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quite the party hostel!! Admin staff were very helpful, and organising events (such as a trip to the River Plate game) was easy. My only gripe was that their seemed to be some minor petty theft from the cleaning staff. In my room, I and a couple of other guests had small possessions 'go missing'. Be careful with belongings left by your bed - lock EVERYTHING in the lockers provided.

• 8th May 2014

Che Salguero Youth Hostel

Cordoba, Argentina

Under New Management! Overall, I enjoyed my stay here. The crepes

• 4th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon! Cheers! Dale

Hostel 41 Below

Bariloche, Argentina

Off-season vibe, but all of the guests were super-chilled. Hostel is in a great location, and run by a very patient, helpful and accommodating gent named Leonardo. Recommended.

• 25th Apr 2014

The Singing Lamb Backpackers

Puerto Natales, Chile

I loved this hostel, and in particular the staff. Octavio (sadly now departed from the hostel) was a true gentleman, extremely helpful with information. Also, I got sick whilst in Puerto Natales, and the staff were wonderful in arranging a move to a private room while I recovered - at dorm prices. I arrived at the end of the season and it was a little quiet, which, whilst good for me while sick, meant that the vibe was a little low-key.

• 8th Apr 2014

El Patagonico

Puerto Natales, Chile

I only stayed here one night before moving on to Ushuaia, but I quite liked the hostel. Andres and Monica were very helpful and accommodating and knew all about Puerto Natales. A nice quiet place, not really a party vibe there, so its good if that´s what you want/need. Recommended.

• 8th Apr 2014

Hospedaje de Maria

Puerto Natales, Chile

I was only here for less than 1/2 a day - from about Midnight to around 11am, so my judgment is limited. But they answered my doorbell ring in the dead of night very quickly, set me up in my room, which was very cosy and warm, and the bed was quite comfy, too. Breakfast was toast and jam, yoghurt, and tea/coffee - perfectly serviceable. Run by a family, there is little atmosphere to speak of, but the accommodation suited me just fine for what I needed.

• 5th Apr 2014

Antarctica Hostel

Ushuaia, Argentina

I really enjoyed my stay here! Great vibe with the bar downstairs, and the staff were most helpful, especially Gabriel. Only minor issue is when staying in the dorms upstairs, is that the bathrooms/toilet are all the way downstairs thru the bar/reception and up the back...a pain when using the facilities in the middle of the night...but that is a minor quibble.

• 2nd Apr 2014

Antarctica Hostel

Ushuaia, Argentina

Antarctica Hostel is a GREAT place to stay!! The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly in every facet, the rooms are warm and cosy, and the breakfast is fantastic. Loved staying here!

• 22nd Mar 2014

El Patagonico

Puerto Natales, Chile

A brief one night stay, but was very impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. If I pass thru Puerto Natales again, I will be staying here.

• 19th Mar 2014

Hospedaje Vista al Mar

Puerto Montt, Chile

A very friendly home-stay style hostel. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, even with the language barrier - my Spanish is very poor.

• 13th Mar 2014

Santiago, Chile

I stayed here in 2009 & it was excellent, so had no hesitation in coming back. This time though, it seems standards had slipped. Some of the staff were absolutely fantastic (Teddy & Sebastian were most helpful & friendly), however some of the other staff seemed to ´go missing´. The bar ran out of booze at one point & was not re-stocked to cater for the ´free beer on one night. Security facilities were poor, the bathrooms werent very clean, & the breakfast was very poor. Location is fantastic.

• 10th Mar 2014

• 8th Mar 2014

The Pickled Frog

Hobart, Australia

I pretty much only slept at the hostel, so my review is limited. The bunk beds in the dorm were a little flimsy, but otherwise ok. The staff were super-friendly and helpful, cheery and chatty - the most imprtant thing for me in a hostel.

• 19th Jun 2013

Cambridge Lodge Budget Hostel

Sydney, Australia

A very chilled place for a short 2 night stay. I spent little time here, but a place to rest my head in a good location is all I needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 9th Nov 2012

Billabong Gardens

Sydney, Australia

A weekend getaway from my home town of Melbourne, this was pretty much just a place to lay my head. For this, Billabong Gardens was perfect. And location, perfect. Reception staff very helpful & friendly for advice and directions, couldn't be faulted. Security passes to get into the hostel & keys for the dorms were great, but no lockers for storage once in the rooms, so an element of trust was required of fellow guests, but thats a minor quibble. And the internet was super slow. Frustrating.

• 6th Jul 2012

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

this is the second time i've stayed....if i didn't like it the first time, i wouldn't have come back!!! patrick is as helpful a host as you could hope for, and the hostel is quite comfortable and clean. being quite close to the airport, and with pick-up/drop-off service offered, as a hostel option for transiting in and out of jo'burg/south africa, you cant go past mbizi.

• 25th Jun 2011

Big Blue Star

Nkhata Bay, Malawi

great location with a fantastic view of Nkhata Bay harbour, and food was nice. Rustic, but perfectly fine dormitory huts,...altho if i wanted to break in to it, i could do so without too much effort.

Lusaka Backpackers

Lusaka, Zambia

Violet is an amazing woman. She was so helpful, upbeat, friendly and funny. The hostel has a great bar and a cool vibe. They do need to fix the lock on the door on Dorm #10 as it didnt shut properly. Otherwise, I would have given a 100% rating.

Hi Tony, thanks very much for the comments, noted about the door we'll repair straight away.. Drinks on Violet at the bar tonight then... cheers again and hope to see you again maybe.

Fawlty Towers

Livingstone, Zambia

Fawlty Towers staff were very helpful, in particular Miriam and William, and always had a smile on their faces...and that includes the security guards. And how can you knock back free pancakes at 3.30pm every day. Love it!

Cape Town Backpackers

Cape Town, South Africa

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

Mbizi is a great place to hang out, and Patrick is super-helpful as an information source and a guide. Patrick organised to do a drive-by tour of the sights of Jo'burg and the Apartheid Museum at short notice, so I was able to see a small part of the city in my short stay. This was most welcome. There is a super relaxed vibe about the place, with the bar and cheap drinks a bonus. The location, close to the airport, was great for me as i had only 1 day in Jo'burg, but is kind of isolated otherwise,

Santiago, Chile

good spot to use as a base...not much to do in the hostel itself,...aside from the free beer sessions at 10pm 6nights a week, but good people there.

Southern Comfort

Cusco, Peru

Was very quiet when I was there, so not much ¨atmosphere¨. Staff were fun and helpful. Location is a bit out of the way, and slightly difficult to find...a sign out on the main street would be helpful. Very clean.

Santiago, Chile

great staff, very helpful, lotsa fun to head out on the town with....free beer is also a nice enticement to write a good review :-)

Bong House

Seoul, South Korea

Bong House was fantastic. Mr Bong is an extremely cheerful and helpful man, him and his staff always willing to assist with whatever help was needed. Communal lounge was open, welcoming and friendly, and free internet was a bonus. Recommended.

Godzillas Hostel

Moscow, Russia

Godzilla's was well run, altho due to renovations, the lack of common room/tv room/chill out space was a tad annoying. once they've finished reno's, this place will be a cracker of a good place.

Ace Inn Shinjuku

Tokyo, Japan

Very happy with this place. I had a little `accident` in my capsule bed - threw up the nights meal after a drinking bender. I advised the staff next morn who took it all with a grain of salt and cleaned up my merss and re-did my bedding with no questions asked. Now thats service!!

Gojo Guest House

Kyoto, Japan

I loved this place! Relaxed and chilled environment, with all the facilities you could possibly. Staff are very warm, friendly and helpful too. Free internet, one free drink coupon (300yen value), laundry, safe deposit boxes, traditional japanese style tatami mat and futon rooms. It`s all good!