Reviews: woodsie22

Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 34

Astor Museum Inn

I've stayed at a few hostels in London, and it's easily my favorite. The location is perfect, being walking distance to all of the Central London attractions. It's clean and it's safe, though granted, I've yet to find any hostel in London that has the same community atmosphere that I've seen in Europe. Still, as a place to rest your head after a day of touring around London, this is the best deal around.

Oak 112

Chicago, USA

Great location, just feet away from bus lines and very walkable to many attractions. Its small size and the number of private rooms make it less conducive to socializing than European hostels, but that is only an issue for some. I stayed in the 6-room ensuite dorm, which had twin instead of bunk beds, probably because that floor's ceiling height prevented it (it's a converted attic), but I still loved it. However, I would suggest that they add curtains in that room, or at least the bathroom.

Columbus Circle Hostel

New York, USA

Very convenient to the fireworks and several of the storylines. Times Square was totally walkable as well. Good times!

Dear Guest, We would like to Thank-you for Choosing CCH as your place of stay. We hope you had a great one and look forward to seeing you in the future. Safe travels and Thank-you once again!!

Good location if you are flying out of Heathrow early in the day.

Hi, We're 20 minute away on the tube from heathrow. Enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to see you again soon, St. Christophers Team

Generator Hostel London

The night-time staff were very helpful! Thanks!

High Street Hostel

Edinburgh, Scotland

I was sad not to book Castle Rock Hostel, but this one is just about as awesome!

Tone on Lex

New York, USA

I can't overstate how good the location is. The rest , well, the place has some issues. I'm very low maintenance, so to me, the location makes up for the flaws. I can tell that the owner is trying to make the place better, but the place needs some updates & perhaps more attentive cleaners. The beds, lockers, and bathrooms aren't that bad, but the place is showing its age. I also wish that there was a common room other than the tiny kitchen, but that's just a limitation of the floor plan. Despite the i

Tone on Lex

New York, USA

Great location, but it was VERY cold during my stay

Not for the non- or first time hosteller, but I loved the location, and I had no problems here.

This probably isn't the best place to start your hosteling experience, but as an experienced traveler, I loved the place - the building is so much... different than what most people stay at. It's a very safe (gated) location, but once inside you only have a locked screendoor for your door. Some people might be iffy on this, but I loved it! Owners might consider a thicker sheet for the bed. At the beginning of the night, you don't want one, but around 3am, it can get a little chilly.

Edinburgh, Scotland

I love this hostel, and it keeps improving! When I first visited in 2005, the security factor was a bit sketchy, but that\'s no longer the case! I would happily stay there again!

MEININGER London Hyde Park

I've loved every single Meininger I've stayed at. Yes, they're full of groups, but once again, I received a free upgrade - from a 12 bed to a 4-bed, for the same price!

Athens Backpackers

Athens, Greece

You can't get much closer to the attractions!

Soula Hotel

Naxos, Greece

I really enjoyed my stay here - Naxos & Soula are both highly recommended!

Astor Queensway

The hostel wasn't really bad, but I prefer the location of Astor Museum Inn. This one is close to Hyde Park, but it's not as close to all the other tourist haunts. It's safe and clean, but I didn't like how inconvenient it was for the tube stations.

Staymor Guest House

Blackpool, England

I loved the place! Now, I usually stay at hostels, and this was my first time at a Guesthouse, but I was very impressed. The breakfast was delicious, everyone was nice, and I had my own tv. Plus, I was given a free upgrade from the single to a double. Thanks!!

Hatters at Hilton Chambers

Manchester, England

The other guests weren't as chatty as in some hostels, but I loved the place. It was really convenient to the train station (Picadilly), and it was just across the street from Forbidden Planet - for a sci-fi fan like me, that's just evil!!!

Astor Museum Inn

I\'ve stayed at three of the Astor hostels, and to me, this is the most convenient one. You are within walking distance to many famous London sites, but it\'s still in a relatively safe and quiet area. It could do with more group activities, but that\'s the only criticism I can think of.

HI-Vancouver Downtown

Vancouver, Canada

I enjoyed my stay here greatly, but it really is a mixed bag. If you want to take the Skytrain, you have to walk about 7+ blocks or take a bus, but it's extremely convenient to Davie street and Granville Island. The breakfast & kitchen were fine, and the place has a nice tv room, game room, and book exchange. They have internet access here, but there's a place with better prices just around the corner. I never felt scared around here, and neither did my friend, who has never stayed at a hostel before. It's a couple blocks away from high traffic areas, so we never had any noise problems.

Edinburgh, Scotland

I've found that the security in the UK hostels leaves much to be desired, but I didn't actually have trouble either time that I stayed here. The place has great character, and a good location. However, with the location, it's convenient to the Castle, but it's on the opposite end of many highlights of the Royal Mile. Plus, when the Military Tattoo lets in and out, you might have to fight a huge crowd to get in. That being said, I loved the place!

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

I stayed here in June, and it was a great experience. When I later had to cancel my reservations for August (change of plans), I had absolutely no trouble!

Brodies Hostels

Edinburgh, Scotland

(This review is for Brodies 1) Brodies 2 might be a great place. In fact, after hearing about Brodies 1, I BOOKED Brodie's 2. However, the staff decided to stick me in their rather decrepit location across the street. The location is great, but the security is non-existent. The lock on the door rarely worked, anyone could've walked in off the street with free reign of the place (no security on that end), the restrooms were unreliable and two few, and... there aren't enough places to store your junk. The sad thing is, with a little renovation, the place could be quite nice. A few hooks, some shelves, a spring cleaning, and I would've been much happier.

Eurohostel

Helsinki, Finland

This hostel doesn't really SEEM like a hostel, but it was a very nice stay. Despite having 1 roommate at a time, I met some good people. In the lobby area, there is a wealth of information about local attractions, and the workers are quite helpful. The laundry was VERY cheap, but there were only two machines for the all the travellers (unfortunate). The pay-by-the-minute internet was comparable to most kiosk machines (pricey), but you could save money by using the nice kitchens (fitted on every floor with a television!). Location wise, it was convenient to the tram and the docks, but it was a mile walk to the train station and all those attractions, if you don't want to pay for public transportation. However, its probably the best deal you'll find in Helsinki. They even had lockable cabinets in the rooms!!

Rygerfjord Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Despite my ratings, I LOVED this place. The view was wonderful, and it was just neat to be staying on a boat with that nightscape. Security-wise, it was better than many hostels I've stayed at, and they did have lockers, but... it still could use improvement. That being said, I had no problems, and would highly recommend it. A word of warning, though, it's a boat... so the rooms are tiny and stuffy.

I loved this hostel, and would highly suggest it. Its close to the train station, and very walkable to everywhere else. The rooms are very clean, and I met smoe great people. Its also a Busabout stop, which is helpful for those backpackers.

Shelter Jordan

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I'm atheist, but I still found Shelter Jordaan to be a very enjoyable hostel. There were activities every night, and the staff was AWESOME! The religious aspect is very low-key, so don't let that prevent you from coming here. However, be forewarned that it is a hike from the Centraal Station, so you'll want to take the tram whenever you have a huge backpack with you!

There was a water leak, so I was reassigned to another dorm, which was really far away from everything in Zone 3.

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

I really enjoyed Euro Hostel. Its a bit of a hike from the bus station if you have a big pack, but its really close to the central train station. Some nights, its not especially quiet, because of local (LOUD) bars, by I enjoyed my stay and would gladly return.

Astor Museum Inn

This was an absolutely WONDERFUL hostel! Highly recommended! The DVD Room is great, and the showers? Plenty of hot water. And, I definately can't forget the beds which were especially comfortable.

Edinburgh, Scotland

I really enjoyed this hostel. However, I rated it low on security because there are no keys. You show your orange paper to the staff, and then you're free to run amuck. I didn't have any problems, but some people might feel uncomfortable... like if you have something other than dirty clothes to steal. The location is great. I enjoyed my stay immensely

St Christopher's Greenwich

I only stayed here one night, but it was a pleasent stay. The staff was great, and the place was convenient to public transportation, it's just that the hostel isn't that convenient to the main of London. I'd have to rate the security as average, as there was a stabbing there last week, outside the bar, so I didn't feel secure in going out late... but I might just be insecure, as a solo female traveller.

This was a great hostel. Safe, clean, good price. The free breakfast was glorious, and there was even a tv in my room! It was kinda hard to meet people outside of my room (but I'm not one who usually tries, anyway), but those that I did meet were very nice. The staff is excellent, and very helpful. Highly recommended.

The Wanderers Inn

New York, USA

I've stayed here twice (same room, same bed), and although its not as close to all the action as some hostels, I felt very safe travelling alone (as a single gal) at night. What more can I say? Its a warm & safe place to stay.