Reviews: matt6753

Location Canada, Gender Male, Age 31

Maverick Hostel & Ensuites, Budapest, Hungary
6th Nov 2015

Overall, pretty good. Can't beat the location or the price. I appreciate that there are no bunk beds. It's a very old building, with very high ceilings; as a result, snoring is louder and echoes. Good, clean bathrooms. Housekeeping is on top of everything. However, reception has a bit of an attitude problem. Don't bother asking for a resto recommendation, the place they'll send you (with the free glass of beer/wine) is a crappy tourist trap that gives them kickbacks.

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused. We asked our receptionist to be a lot more friendly and we will investigate the restaurant problem.

St Christopher's Inn Bath, Bath, England
5.7
12th Oct 2015

Crowded, too many beds per room, crappy showers, zero maintenance. It's an old building and nothing's been done recently to make it more comfortable. A little bit of investment from a company as big as St Christopher's would go a long way, but they're content renting out dodgy accommodations in a city where there aren't many other affordable options. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

Thank you for taking the time leaving us feedback, we wish all our guests to have the utmost pleasant stay with us and we are truly sorry to read your stay was not up to our usual standard. Staying in a 12-bed dorm is not to everyone's taste but we do have 6-bed dorms and private rooms as options. We do hope you had a superb time exploring in beautiful Bath. The Bath Team

Eurohostel, Helsinki, Finland
6.3
11th Sep 2015

I'd say it felt like a hospital, but hospitals have more buzz. And more comfortable beds. By far the most uncomfortable sleep I've ever had in a hostel! Also, be aware that "dorm" here means sharing a private room with one other person, which has the potential to be awkward. The location is great, albeit quiet; it's a very short ride on the #4 tram into town. The bathrooms and kitchens are relatively clean, and I lucked out with very nice roommates. However, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Pak-Up Hostel, Krabi, Thailand
7th Jul 2015

This place is great and I'd stay here again. I stayed for three nights. Not much going on in Krabi, but it's a good place to stop over to bounce around the island. The bar does a great job with events, and the pub quiz is excellent. The front desk staff aren't the most helpful, however. They'll book things for you and take your money, but that's about it.

Stones Bar Dorm Rooms and Restaurant, Koh Phi Phi, Thailand
3.4
6th Jul 2015

Not a hostel, but a bar with dorms. Don't come here if you're solo or 25+; it's tough to meet people since everyone's in a group of lads/bros and there to party. A fire show takes everything over from 8-12 every night, during which you'll be inhaling petrol fumes. All the complaints ring true: there's zero upkeep and it's very dumpy. The beds are the worst I've slept on at the dozens of hostels I've stayed at. I was here when the weather turned crap, so it's like seeing a club in the day. Grim.

Lub d Bangkok Silom, Bangkok, Thailand
4th Jul 2015

Not a bad place to stay. Washrooms are exceptional and clean. No complaints!

Glad to hear you enjoyed staying with us at Lub d - Silom. We really cannot wait to welcoming you back here again. Thank you very much, Narongpoj Sooksud (Keith) Lub d Hostel Manager

Gold Coast, Lagos, Portugal
6th May 2015

Lagos is beautiful, and this is a great place to stay to make the most of it. Tucked onto a side street, the hostel is in a great location and accessible to all the restaurants and bars as well as a short walk to the closest beach. Very clean, great value. One thing worth noting is how quiet Lagos is in the off-season. I visited for a few days in May (Wednesday though Saturday) and the town was almost dead quiet. Had a room to myself, but got a little bored. Beaches were nearly empty though!

Lisbon Lounge Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
4th May 2015

No complaints! One of the cleanest and well-designed hostels I've stayed in. Great location. A little quiet in the off-season (May). I'd stay here again.

Clink78, London, England
9th Aug 2014

This place is very cool and original. The common spaces are old courtrooms. The dorms are definitely warehouses for travelers, where beds are quite literally pigeonholes all lined up and stacked. The breakfast was great. Bear in mind this is a BIG hostel, so the atmosphere will suffer a little. The bar looked cool. Biggest complaint is the lack of free lockers: I ended up paying 2 pounds a day in their pay lockers. Also, not all the beds had a plug (including mine).

Hi there, thank you for your time leaving us a review! So nice to hear that you appreciate the history and uniqueness of the building :) We are currently looking into getting more free lockers for the common areas, they should be here in the next couple of months. Hope to see you again soon, enjoy your travels! Indra

Astor Queensway, London, England
7.1
7th Aug 2014

I ended up checking out early. After traveling all summer, this was my least favourite hostel. I realize it's London, but the other 2 places I stayed here were far more comfortable (see my reviews). The room was VERY cramped, which very little room to move about. Think of a very small hotel room, then crammed with three bunk beds (6 total). This contributed to the heat problem. Also, there were fewer electrical plugs than there were people, and the internet never worked properly.

Astor Hyde Park, London, England
5th Aug 2014

This hostel is in the beautiful Kensington area, almost adjacent to Hyde Park. It's a bit of a walk to the tube. The atmosphere was a little lacking: the common room is more like a library in the evenings. The dorm was fairly spacious and clean, although some of the beds are awfully close to each other. Excellent and helpful staff.

Montenegro Hostel Podgorica, Podgorica, Montenegro
4th Aug 2014

A great place to stay when in Podgorica. Very clean!

Old Town Hostel East Wing, Kotor, Montenegro
27th Jul 2014

UNITY Hostel Skopje, Skopje, Macedonia
24th Jul 2014

Buffalo Backpackers, Pristina, Kosovo
21st Jul 2014

I had a great stay here. Thanks guys.

Hedonist Hostel, Belgrade, Serbia
17th Jul 2014

Loved it here. It's in a perfect location, close to a lot of the cafes, bars and restaurants around the centre of town. The staff is exceptional, and went out of their way to help you out. I only wish there was a little more room in the dorm: the place was full, and there wasn't a lot of space. Otherwise, I'll stay there again when I go back!

Hostel Franz Ferdinand, Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina
14th Jul 2014

Everything about this place is great. Security is excellent: you need to be buzzed in, and lockers are huge. The location can't get any better. I loved my time here and wouldn't hesitate to stay again!

Villa Divine, Dubrovnik, Croatia
12th Jul 2014

Great place to stay, and I highly recommend it. It's very clean, not too crowded, and has nice and helpful staff. There are a few beaches nearby, too. Staying in the old city is too much of a pain, and this is a shirt bus ride away without being too far.

Thanks for spreading the word about Villa Divine. We're so happy that we had a guest like you. Wish you all the best!

Beach Hostel, Split, Croatia
6.9
3rd Jul 2014

Location is close to the beach, but far from everything else. This is a SMALL hostel, and although Ladybird is great, she expects absolute silence at 11. She's also always into everyone's business, so if you want space, look elsewhere. The hostel isn't at all Croatian, so if you're looking for an experience with insight into the town and its people, a local recommended Croparadise. Lastly, I was placed in the basement dorm, which is very crowded, smells moldy and has low light. Not cool.

????

6.6
30th Jun 2014

No kitchen, no fridge.

hello, thank you for your review, i am sorry that you were unsatisfied with our facilities, however, on the hostel information page we do not advertise or claim to have kitchen or fridge facilities for guests. Had you asked we could have found some space for your perishables in the fridge at the bar as a courtesy. thank you for your feedback.

24th Jun 2014

Great location. Big dorms, but there are additional washrooms in the basement for when you're waiting. Lots of stairs to climb, but exercise is good for you (except when you sprained your toe like I did). They could use more staff to deal with the high volume of check-ins/-outs. Too expensive.

Vertigo Vieux-Port, Marseille, France
7.1
23rd May 2014

Great location, great security, great cleanliness. Yes, it's a bit up a hill, and yes there are stairs. The wifi is a bit spotty in several areas of the building, including the kitchen/eating area. Breakfast leaves a bit to be desired (it's baguettes and jam and a dirty coffeemaker). Not at all a social atmosphere, and people pretty much keep to themselves. I asked the staff about events or a pub crawl or something, which seemed completely unusual. But they were helpful with everything else.

12th May 2014

Cool place! Loved the location. Also, free dinner every night (in an actual restaurant) is reason enough to come here. Great opportunity to meet people. Tight security on the rooms and to the hostel. Only problem is the service in the bar/resto, which was nonexistent. Night I got there I showed up about 10:30, asked if the kitchen was open, and it was. Sat down, asked for a menu, by the time I talked to a waiter the kitchen was closed. Was pissed. And then I missed the pub crawl as a result.

Thank you for nice review! We're proud that you liked our free dinner, we try to make it really special for everybody. We're sorry for that situation in restaurant and because we want to improve our standards, you can be sure it won't happen anymore here so you can join us for pub crawl. Cheers!

Hostel Oki Doki, Warsaw, Poland
10th May 2014

The daily happy hour in the bar plus regular events (e.g. pub crawls) really bring this place together. It's a bit hard to find and yes it's up a bunch of stairs, but those weren't an issue for me as I don't think there's one area that's "the" place to stay in Warsaw. Good security. The breakfast was expensive and underwhelming: go to the small market a block away for bread and cheese. If you stay for more than 2-3 days you'll get bored.

Guzel Izmir Oteli, Izmir, Turkey
4.3
10th Feb 2014

This place is nasty, stay away. Yes you get what you pay for, but I'd have a hard time coming back. It's a cheap hotel, not a hostel. The guy in the room next to me was listening to balkan turbo-pop loudly, if that's any indication of the type of place this is. The TV in my room didn't work, and the bed was dirty. I got really bad vibes at night.

sorry about your experience if you have told the reception they would have changed your tv and they would have told your neighbor to put down the music.

Atillas Getaway, Selcuk, Turkey
6.0
7th Feb 2014

I was really looking forward to staying here, and had reserved three days (which is more than enough for Selcuk and its related visits) more as a repose than anything. This place seemed to be a good place for a retreat, with its bar and pool. When I got off the train and called for a pickup, guy was caught off guard and told me he wasn't taking any guests due to ongoing repairs. He said he'd pick me up and take me somewhere else (Artemis Hotel, don't stay here, gross), but I lost my deposit

Cheers Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
6.0
31st Jan 2014

Actually my first hostel experience ever, so I waited a while to have some comparison before reviewing. The rooms are fine and average, but the dorm doors don't lock. The bathroom (on third floor) is nasty and moldy, hair everywhere, etc. The staff is really nice, but there seem to be some of their friends (other staff?) who are always hanging around. I stayed a week, which was too long and probably should've mixed it up somewhere else. Directions from the airport not very helpful. Great bar!