Baan Nisarine

Krabi, Thailand

Staff were excellent-the woman is SO nice and helpful. One word of warning: smoking is permitted in the downstairs lobby, which made the whole 1st floor smell like smoke and made me feel kind of sick. I was also a little disappointed they didn't have better suggestions of things to do. The travel guy suggested a Barracuda tour, told me everyone loves them, and then didn't seem surprised when I gave it a thumbs down. Not a very social place, and the beds are super uncomfy. But fine for the cost!

PODs The Backpackers Home

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Always a lovely stay. Love PODs!

Sleep In Hostel

Yangon, Myanmar

Great staff, but there's no place really to hang out and meet other people. They have a breakfast room downstairs but it's pretty dark and no one seems to spend any time in there :/ Otherwise a fine place though

Sleep In Hostel

Yangon, Myanmar

When we arrived there was a flood in one of the bathrooms so water was gushing down the stairs. Not a great welcome...breakfast was subpar (just egg rolls and bad coffee) but for the price it was decent enough.

• 12th Nov 2014

Gongkaew Chiangmai Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip and enjoyed it both times. Breakfast foods are available all day, which is great. Staff is great too.

• 9th Nov 2014

Red Palm

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Very quiet place-definitely not for someone looking to party. Decent breakfast, good location. Smoking is allowed downstairs which is unfortunate. There's also only one bathroom upstairs and the toilet doesn't work too well :( Otherwise, nice!

Threehouse Bed and Breakfast

Kuching, Malaysia

Kain/Kyle (?) is great! A wealth of information, and he puts you at ease as soon as you arrive!

• 17th Oct 2014

The Explorers Guesthouse and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Very clean, and pretty decent breakfast spread. It was unfortunate that they only have internet in the lobby, and I didn't like the fact that I had to put down a deposit for the key. But all in all, a nice place to stay!

Citi Residence

Jakarta, Indonesia

This hostel is very close to public transportation, and very close to the monument. The staff are friendly and definitely seem to be making an effort to be professional, polite, and helpful. It doesn't really have a "backpacker" vibe and there's not much socializing going on. A nice place for couples or small groups. It seems like it would be a pleasant place to crash for an extended period of time-nice kitchen.

• 19th Sep 2014

Agus Guest House Denpasar

Denpasar, Indonesia

This place was tolerable, but not much more than that. Our bathroom was dirty (hair in the drain, trash in the shower) and there was no trashcan in our room. Our room was RIGHT beside the hall entrance, so you could easily see people coming and going. All of the TV channels were in Indonesian, so we could even turn on the TV to drown out our surroundings. They advertise a "pool", but it's really more of a pond-definitely nothing for swimming. Breakfast was decent-most fluffy bread I've ever had!

• 18th Sep 2014

Demank House

Ubud, Indonesia

The hosts were very pleasant. They were prompt in picking us up from the airport, and took us to a coffee farm on the way to the hostel, which was really cool. It's not on the main drag so it's fairly quiet, but there are a few restaurants along the street. Breakfast was a little disappointing, and our room was never cleaned. We stayed there for 3 days so it got kind of gross. All in all though, we had a decent stay.

• 13th Sep 2014

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Interesting setup with the beds on the floor. Very informative owner.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This hostel was GREAT! They had so much going on-yoga classes, movies, happy hour specials. I liked that they had boards you could sign up on if you were interested in going on a tour of the temples so you could split the cost of a tuk-tuk with others. The staff were very professional and pleasant. I wish breakfast was included :( The floors were a little sandy because you're allowed to wear your shoes everywhere. Otherwise, great place!

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This hostel wasn't quite as close to everything as I was expecting. They don't have soap in the bathrooms and there was rarely any toilet paper. There was a little incident with my tuk-tuk pick-up as well, so I learned I should be pleasantly surprised if they come. The owner is very knowledgeable about the area and is full of ideas and recommendations, though he does tend to prattle on a bit. Be aware-some of the pricing info on the board is outdated (for the museums, etc)

PODs The Backpackers Home

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I LOVE this hostel! I stay here whenever I have an early flight from KLIA2. I've never stayed long enough to know if it has a social vibe, but it has everything else. Towels, breakfast (even if it's not technically breakfast hours), lockers, GREAT location. You can even take a nap in their common room if you don't plan on staying longer than 6hrs. Can't be beat!

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Awesome location, breakfast included, towels provided-what more could you ask for?!

Saigon Backpackers Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

The bathrooms weren't very clean, but all in all it was a fine place to stay. Pretty good location with a market just down the end of the street! The free breakfast is nice too ;)

Funtastic Danang Hostel

Da Nang, Vietnam

This place was great! The staff were incredibly helpful and flexible-they gave great recommendations, were welcoming, and were willing to work with our early morning flight time to make sure we still got breakfast before we go. Very clean, and lots of character! Loved it!

Central Backpackers Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

The hostel is a little farther from the main area than I was expecting, but still a pretty short walk. The bathrooms were pretty awful though-they were dirty all the time, the toilet paper felt like crepe paper, and there was only one sink/mirror for everyone staying downstairs. The staff also didn't seem very organized-we checked in really late and they said they had no record of our reservation. We argued and wound up sleeping in the hall :/

Pans Place Guesthouse

Vang Vieng, Laos

The place is pretty basic (it IS only $3/night) but the owner is FANTASTIC! He was able to make recommendations, give directions, explain a little about the area, and help us figure out our itinerary. It was nice to talk to someone who could easily understand my questions and concerns and tell me things straight up. I would go back to Pans Place if only because he was so helpful and informative!

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

The place is in a great location, and breakfast is pretty good, but the staff are horrible! They know absolutely nothing about the area and could make no recommendations of things to do or foods to eat. The map they distribute is also poorly labeled, and we lost an entire morning wandering around trying to find the market. There's very little space in the bathrooms-your knees are practically up against the door when you sit on the toilet!

House of Journey

Penang, Malaysia

I had a pleasant stay in this hostel, it was not my favorite by far. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, but the facilities weren't great. The area outside of the background is filled in with gravel, and because you have to take off your shoes before going into the rooms I stumbled quite a few times and really hurt my feet on the rocks. There was also no soap, which was a MAJOR downside. The lighting was really dim, and I had to always use a flashlight to see. And you pay for sheets :(

Thanks for your review. we will think about your value comments about our facilities. We're thinking to add on the soap for those washing purpose. Maybe the design i can't really fulfill your request because is my guesthouse style about the rocks stuff. There was a first complaint about my design. The lighting, we're still looking the best solution. Thanks for your review Lesa ! Hope to see you in future !

Kang Travellers Lodge

Tanah Rata, Malaysia

Great location, close to the main road and lots of yummy restaurants. They have a great outdoor patio to hang out on. The drinks at the bar were a little pricey, and they didn't refill the toilet paper dispenser often enough. Overall, a great place to stay though!

• 1st May 2014

Raizzy's Guesthouse

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

FABULOUS location! Super close to the bus station and Chinatown, and convenient for getting to the LRT. The man behind the desk wasn't incredibly helpful though, and actually told my friends and I that he didn't think our bus tickets (purchased online) were valid...which led to a mini-panic attack (and for no reason!). Overall a pretty decent place though

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Awesome location! Very much a backpacker-y feel. Lots of people hanging out in the common areas until the wee hours of the morning. Great for socializing!

EXCELLENT location! Very conveniently located to Jonker St and other nearby attractions. Very calm and peaceful. Delicious cakes, but you have to get the timing right in order to get a piece. There wasn't much fruit provided, so don't expect to make a meal out of it. The only downside was the ants in the kitchen. They seemed to be everywhere! They were all over the counters, and you really had to be careful not to accidentally drink one :P Otherwise a really great hostel!

• 27th Feb 2014

The Mitraa

Singapore, Singapore

This hostel has a great location! Very conveniently located in Little India near a metro stop, yet far enough out of the way that noise isn't an issue. The bathrooms weren't awesome-one of the doors was busted and the hot water feature didn't work on another. I also wish they had more keys to give our group so we didn't have to coordinate who was coming and going at what time. But all in all, a great place!