Location: USA, Age: 21

Shelter City

Amsterdam, Netherlands

One of the friendliest hostels I've ever stayed at. The employees were welcoming and provided great advice, and the hot breakfasts were excellent. Clean and comfortable. Only complaint I have is that the computers available for use run about as slow as the snail in Shelter City's logo! The hostel does have decent wifi and I realize the computers are extras, but the computers couldn't even keep pace when typing an email, so an upgrade might be needed. Other than that, lovely stay.

Thousand Sunny

Rome, Italy

Friendly hostel that gives you a glance at local life. A bit outside the center, but metro was close. It was worth it because I got to pet Zoro! I liked the netbook that was available for guests to use. My only problem was figuring out who exactly the owners were- I kept accidentally asking other guests for towels. I understand that all of the owners may not be there when we check in, but perhaps clarifying who we can ask and showing us their pictures might help! Otherwise, an excellent stay.

Le Montclair Montmartre

Paris, France

The wifi didn't work on any of the four days I was there in early April. They did offer 30 minutes of free computer time, but it would have been nice if they seemed to make any effort to fix the wifi. Travelers especially depend on the Internet! Breakfast was good but one day I accidentally overslept and arrived at 10:05 and even though there was still food out and people eating, I was told I couldn't have any. Even if I could have had a croissant for the road, I would have been fine with that.

Pride of Paddington

We stayed for 4 days and enjoyed it. Getting hot breakfast was a plus and a good deal-you get a drink as well. We only wished that porridge was a breakfast option, but that's a minor quibble. A drunken older man who stayed there made us feel uncomfortable, but when the staff was told about him and his comments, they immediately moved him away from us (girls in our 20s). Overall the place was clean and the staff were on top of things. We felt safe. Common room with flatscreen was nice as well.

• 16th Feb 2014