Location: Canada, Age: 34

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

One of the best hostels I've stayed in! Rooms and bathroom cleaned daily. Easy access to metro and within walking distance to cool neighborhoods. Large grocery store just around the corner. Free breakfast when you're travelling is always welcome. Would definitely stay here again :)

• 18th Sep 2014

HI-Calgary City Centre

Calgary, Canada

The hostel is pretty close to the light rail station so it's easy to get to/from the Greyhound station. My only suggestion is to install air conditioning in the rooms. We had just a fan and it was actually hotter in the room than it was outside (and it was close to 30C). So difficult to sleep when it's roasting!

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Globetrotter

We appreciate the time you took to review us. We are looking into installing air conditioning units throughout the hostel. Thank you for your suggestion Happy Trails, Jason Wong Manager

The staff were so nice and helpful! One of the best hostels I stayed in during my Japan trip. The building is really cool and as long as you're aware of the thin walls, it's a really cool place to stay in.

• 26th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your stay at toco. There are some paper walls in our hostel. Yes, those walls sometimes let the sound of walking and talking go thru your room, but that's Japanese culture. We have to consider each other because of that, but we believe Japanese hospitality is based on this consideration. Is it cool?^^

Hostel Ann

Nagoya, Japan

Very close to the station.

• 23rd Nov 2013

Jam Hostel Kyoto Gion

Kyoto, Japan

The 'lounge' was basically a 4-seat table and fridge shoved into a small storage room. Not exactly a place you can relax.

• 18th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great location, close to tram and convenience stores.

• 15th Nov 2013

Fukuoka Hana Hostel

Fukuoka City, Japan

Great location but our room was not in the best condition. I could smell damp/mold in the room as soon as I walked in. We even found patches of damp on the wall above a bed. Not the healthiest air to be breathing! I also got bit a number of times by something during my sleep. Only on my arms and neck so I assume 'something' lives in the trunk/cupboard at the head of the bed??

• 11th Nov 2013

Time Peace Apartment

Sapporo, Japan

Amazing staff! Everyone was so nice and helpful! My main complaint is that the women's dorm was way too small for the number of beds in there (only 6). There is someone living in the attic too so the ladder is down, making it even more crowded--no real room for luggage or even moving around. The room is really dark (only one light)--the beds definitely need individual lamps.

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great location, close to metro and convenience stores. Very clean. Wasn't all that comfortable walking thru the bar and its paying customers so I used the side entrance when I returned at the end of the day.

• 31st Oct 2013

City Hostel Seattle

Seattle, USA

I've stayed in loads of hostels around the world and this one ranks as one of the best. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, lots of showers/bathrooms (no lines!), free breakfast, great location, safe--I'd definitely stay here again. Thanks!

• 16th Feb 2013

HI - Austin Hostel

Austin, USA

It's quite a distance to downtown and while the bus is direct, I like hostels to be right in the city. This is an old hostel, definitely in need of an overhaul. At the very least, renovate your showers. Not even kidding, it's so archaic. The very first thing I thought of is that it looks like those showers used in the concentration camps, just shower heads attached to a single pole.

• 11th Nov 2012

AAE Bourbon House Hostel

New Orleans, USA

I can't imagine what it's like in this hostel during the busy summer months as I found it overcrowded as it was. Not enough showers, our room was smelly due to lack of fresh air (no windows, only a fan circulating stale air). Kitchen lockout is not convenient at all. Yes, it's close to the Super Wal-Mart (good for keeping food costs down) but it's relatively far from the main sites and the buses don't come very often.

• 8th Nov 2012

Sweet Peas

Asheville, USA

One of my favourite hostels! I loved it here. Everything a traveler could ask for: great staff, cleanliness, kitchen, towels, wi-fi, personal light and plug-in outlet, a locker. I'm definitely staying here next time I'm in Asheville.

• 31st Oct 2012

Capitol City Hostel

Washington DC, USA

Bill was great! Friendly, welcoming, full of useful info. However, this is one of the dirtiest 'hostels' I've ever stayed in. Basically just bunk beds in empty bedrooms. One bathroom upstairs that is in desperate need of a good clean/reno. I got bit by bugs in my bed. I saw TWO different types of beetles crawling on my bed/sheets. I wasn't able to switch hostels so it was a LONG stay. Its only redeeming quality is that it's one direct bus to the Whitehouse and major sites.

• 28th Oct 2012

• 26th Oct 2012

Apple Hostels of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, USA

Good location but the rooms are too crowded! Not enough toilets/showers.

• 25th Oct 2012

HI - Boston Hostel

Boston, USA

Great hostel! Brand new! Close to metro station, very convenient.

• 22nd Oct 2012

HI - Chicago Hostel

Chicago, USA

Your own light and plug-in outlet at your bunk and an included towel is really all that a traveler needs to be happy!

• 18th Oct 2012

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

San Francisco, USA

The ladder to get up to my top bunk bed was inaccessible to due it being blocked by the other bed. The room was definitely too crowded!

• 15th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

Within walking distance to the main sights! Towels are included which is great while your traveling!

• 6th Sep 2012

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

The breakfast was quite basic, just toast and cereal--but it's free! It's about a 10min walk from the tube station so if you have a big backpack this could be annoying. However, it's one stop from Victoria Stn so easy to transfer, etc. Showers on the third floor always had hot water but there aren't many so get up a bit early. Rooms were very small. Lockers were available but I'd almost rather have a little more floor space. Definitely one of the better hostels out there though :)

• 16th Feb 2012

Ming Courtyard

Beijing, China

the buzzing locks on the door due to keycards are really loud and irritating. there were a couple of people that were long-term residents in my room so it felt like we were invading their space. plenty of showers and toilets though--there was never a line up. rooms were a bit tight. an extra chair or something to put your stuff on would've been nice.

• 14th Nov 2011

The Hump Hostel

Kunming, China

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were great, very helpful and knowledgeable. The door locks were really annoying and loud though!

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Awesome hostel! I think my stay here spoiled me for the remainder of my time in China. Everything a traveller could want, the Han Tang Inn offered! I would definitely stay here again :)

Chelsea Star Hotel

New York, USA

More bathrooms! And more hooks in the bathroom would be nice.

Sleepzone

Galway, Ireland

Great hostel! One of the best ones I've stayed in!

Bru Bar & Hostel

Cork, Ireland

The key cards are good for security but it was a pain to have to bring with you when you use the toilet!

Hotel De Famille-Bordeaux

Bordeaux, France

The place was rather dirty. It smelled like dog everywhere (a pet dog was loose around the hotel). I came back one afternoon to find dog crap in the middle of the hallway and saw urine stains on the wall/carpet. I had to get up early (6:30-ish) to catch a train and the lights for the shower were turned off during the night--I had to shower holding my flashlight in my mouth! I didn't realize this until after but I was charged on top of my online booking deposit when I checked in. Will definitely not stay here again.

Red Bus Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

The walls in the room beside Reception are paper-thin! The shower was great though.